baby blues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-03-2007, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i want to cook, and i got some awesome ideas from the posts on this forum, but my other issue is how todo it with a very attached 4 mo. old... he will occasionally chill out in his bouncer or his excersaucer, but usually i play with him while he is in them, so he doesn't like to be in them alone for more then 10 minutes (not very long for a meal...) even if i am RIGHT next to him and talking to him...he likes me down on the floor and actively engaged. he is too small for a back carry, and doing kangaroo carry with hot stuff seems irresponsible, i'd feel bad if he was burned, and i have read not to do that...he also only takes 20 minute naps a few times a day, so there is no big chunk of time where he is asleep and i am awake... and when he goes down for the night at around 8pm, he nurses on my lap till its time for me to go to bed, so waiting until he goes to bed isn't an option. my boyfriend is an awesome cook, and he always does the meals, but he works his butt off as a botany surveyer, and spends 10 hours hiking in the redwoods everyday, so i feel bad that i don't have a meal ready for him at least sometimes...
any suggestions?
#2 of 5 Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 AM

Having a small baby makes doing anything challenging so don't be too hard on yourself.

One thing you could do is do all the prep for supper the night before. Then you just have to throw it together at dinner time.

You could also use a slow cooker, it gives you a window of a couple hours in the morning to put together your meal.

What my dh likes to do is prep everything for dinner throughout the day, instead of waiting until dinner time. I often get home from work in the afternoon and everything is ready to go : a casserole is put together ready to go in the oven, or all the veggies are cut, meat is marinating... You get the idea.

I think what's important is to realize you don't have to prepare dinner in the hour preceding the time you would like to eat.
#3 of 5 Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 AM

4 months is not to young at all to do a back carry. That will save your life.
You can use a wrap, and mei tai or maybe even an ergo at that age. Just so long as he has head control. If not, then a mei tai with a head rest is gonna be the easiest. I was wearing DD on my back at 8 weeks. I have seen much younger- like 4 days in a high back carry with a wrap.

Jennie: SAHM to 3, student, and wife of almost 9 years.
Emily 7.5 Taylor 5 Logan 7.9.08 signcirc1.gif
mdcblog5.gif It's a collection of recipe's and tips on how and why to make real food plus some other good stuff!
http://purehomemaking.com/
#4 of 5 Old 05-06-2007, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh yeah--do the back carry!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#5 of 5 Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM

Sling!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page