No-cook meal thread...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-30-2007, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone interested? I need some good ideas for lunches and dinners that require no cooking (crockpot and microwave included!) My idea of a salad is lettuce with dressing, so we don't eat it much...I'd love new salad suggestions. Is there anything else? What do you eat cold?

Off to find the raw foodies to see if they have a thread with ideas!

Thanks,
Jude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 05-30-2007, 01:54 PM

I can't wait to see the ideas, too.

This isn't no cook, but it's easy and cold. When I make rice for supper, I frequently make enough for leftovers (on purpose). Same with grilled meat. One of our favorites the next day is to take cold rice (white, brown, yellow, whatever), mix it with grilled meat (we like chicken the best) cut up, and add some good stuff (usually scallions, an onion, some sort of dried fruit, and some nuts), and a vinagrette. Mix it up, and you have a main dish cold rice salad. Very tasty.

I've also done the same thing without meat, but adding peas (like black eyes) or lentils.
#3 of 12 Old 05-30-2007, 02:18 PM

My families fav is raw veggies, pitas with hummus and guacamole

Use can chickpeas blend with tahini lemon juice garlic.
avacodo blended with a timy bit of tomato juice, lime, garlic and cumin
Cut up the veggies and pitas and your done...
Meat eaters can add kolbasa, cheese and crackers

Another is gazpacho.....
"real gazpaco" is all raw veg....sometimes I cheat and used can
canned or real tomatoes blended in the blender until liquid
Pour into pot or huge bowl
blend carrot, celery, onion, garlic until chunky
add to liquid..you may have to use some of the liquid to blend the veggies
blend peppers, cucumber until chunky
add to liquid...
You can use what ever you have on hand, add whatever spices you have, chili pepper, cumin, black pepper ect
I throw in a can or corn or raw corn mmmm
Served cold or room temperature and this is amazing

I also make a bean salad...
open a can of mixed salad beans rinse, add peeled carrot,red onion, corn,celerry, peppers, cucs
make a dressing with a mixture of oil and vinegar( i use sesame oil and rice wine vinegar)

hth

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#4 of 12 Old 06-10-2007, 03:28 AM

We've made a dinner out of egg salad, rye bread, carrot apple raisin salad and iced tea. You have to do the eggs ahead, though.

I also like cottage cheese, avocado and canned garbanzo beans on a bed of lettuce with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Moosewood cookbook has a recipe for a March Hare salad that is several kinds of chopped vegetables, seeds and raisins(?) mixed with cottage cheese. Also, chopped vegetables with shredded or cubed cheese.

My aunt makes a chunky... salsa? salad? I don't know. You take a mango or two and a couple of avocados, coarsely dice them, add some red onion, and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. It's good on bread or mixed greens.

Couscous can be prepared by mixing with boiling water and letting stand, instead of microwaving, so maybe this?
#5 of 12 Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 PM

my kids fav.

we call it jennifers recipe for the friend who invented it!

1can kidney beans
1 can garbonzo beans
1 can black beans
1# diced tomatoes
3-4 cloves chopped garlic
1 bunch chopped cilantro
1/2 bottle or so on newmans own olive oil vinagarette

mix and eat with unsalted tortilla chips.

oh yeah the beans are all rinsed and drained!
#6 of 12 Old 06-12-2007, 11:51 PM

for a side salad we love spinach with sliced strawberries splashed with balsamic vinagar..
#7 of 12 Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 AM

Oh, another we like is Mexican shrimp cocktail. We eat it the consistency of gazpacho.

I use precooked shrimp from the freezer section. Just whatever is cheapest. This is a soup meal, so get the smallest ones, so you don't have to chop anything. There are enough other flavors going on that the precooked thing is really, really easy, and it doesn't affect the final taste. I add enough water to the finished product to get it good and soupy. Sometimes, you have to add a little more ketchup (just to taste). But, as a soup, it makes a meal. Without the water, it's more of an appetizer. We eat this with saltines or tortilla chips.

THis is the real recipe. It's from Rick Bayless.

CEVICHE DE CAMARON: SHRIMP CEVICHE "COCKTAIL"
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 generous pound unpeeled smallish shrimp (I prefer the ones that are 41/50 count to a pound)
1/2 medium white onion, chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus several sprigs for garnish
1/2 cup ketchup
1 to 2 tablespoons vinegary Mexican bottled hot sauce (such as Tamazula, Valentina or Búfalo, the latter being on the sweet side)
About 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra-virgin (optional, but recommended to smooth out sharpness)
1 cup diced peeled cucumber or jícama (or 1/2 cup of each)
1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
Salt
Several lime slices for garnish
Tostadas or tortilla chips, store-bought or homemade or saltine crackers for serving

1. Cooking and Marinating the Shrimp. Bring 1 quart salted water to a boil and add 2 tablespoons of the lime juice. Scoop in the shrimp, cover and let the water return to the boil. Immediately remove from the heat, set the lid askew and pour off all the liquid. Replace the cover and let the shrimp steam off the heat for 10 minutes. Spread out the shrimp in a large glass or stainless steel bowl to cool completely. Peel and devein the shrimp if you wish: One by one lay the shrimp on your work surface, make a shallow incision down the back and scrape out the (usually) dark intestinal tract. Toss the shrimp with the remaining 1/2 lime juice, cover and refrigerate for about an hour.

2. The flavorings. In a small strainer, rinse the onion under cold water, then shake off the excess liquid. Add to the shrimp bowl along with the cilantro, ketchup, hot sauce, optional olive oil, cucumber and/or jícama and avocado. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1/2 teaspoon. Cover and refrigerate if not serving immediately.

3. Serving the ceviche. Spoon the ceviche into sundae glasses, martini glasses, or small bowls: garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of lime. Serve with tostadas, tortilla chips or saltines to enjoy alongside.

Working Ahead: The ceviche is best made the day it is served. The flavorings can be added to the shrimp a few hours in advance.
#8 of 12 Old 06-15-2007, 02:44 PM

well i dont think i'll be much help. my ac is dead, its 90+ degrees, and im pregnant and miserable, and dont feel like cooking, lol...

ive been eating cheese and crackers with fruit, raw veggies, pb&j sandwiches, turkey sandwiches, lots of fruit, breakfast is usually a kashi bar and fruit, yogurt and fruit, i had cooked some tacos on a cooler night, so nachos were easy enough to make with the left over meat and beans- just a couple of minutes in the oven to melt the cheese...... it hasnt been the healthiest time, but not too bad either. of course my dh is gone right now, so its just me and babe-to-be im "cooking" for, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#9 of 12 Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 PM

I found a great page at Food Network with lots of ideas. Here it is!
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/et_s...729419,00.html

It has different salads, sandwiches and desserts. Yum!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#10 of 12 Old 07-06-2007, 02:12 AM

we have been enjoying tortilla salad sandwiches (i don't know what to call them, but that's pretty descriptive of the meal!). make a salad in a big bowl... we put things like salad greens, cheese, chicken or another protein, avocado, whatever veggies we have on hand, and miso mixed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for a dressing. mix it all up and stuff it inside a sprouted tortilla. it's a great summer meal that fills you up, but doesn't make you feel like you're missing out on anything.

we have also been enjoying watermelon this summer.
#11 of 12 Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
One of our favorite dinners is a big salad (we usually do field greens, spinach, 2 or 3 bell peppers, red onions and lots of herbs... dill, cilantro, parsley... with EVOO and lemon juice), sometimes we also throw black beans, chickpeas, some leftover meat (if you eat it).

Also, we like to do fresh bread (we have a lovely stone ground, fire baked organic bakery just around the corner with organic ricotta cheese, salt, basil and sliced tomatoes on top.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#12 of 12 Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM

One of our favourite salads is based off southern "chow chow," an intuitive summertime supper dish of in season (or quality frozen) vegetables with a splash of vinegar (cider rice or champagne work) & a drizzle of olive oil. It's a great way to use vegetables from the garden without cooking, is fantastic immediately or after up to 4 days in the fridge for whenever you want some veggie goodness.

This is what it usually looks like, add or subtract what's in season or in the freezer

Corn cut off the cob (or thawed frozen sweet corn)
Peas (" ")
Carrots
Baby beets
Scallions or sweet onion
Peppers
Tomato
Chard, beet greens or any other green you have, cut into ribbons
Beans, fresh or canned
Avocado

Fresh herbs, chopped (basil is divine)
Salt & Pepper
Vinegar & olive oil

Combine vegetables & herbs in a non-reactive bowl. If using for leftovers keep the avocado & tomato seperate for garnish since they don't keep. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, toss to coat. Sprinkle with vinegar & olive oil, toss to coat. Serve it on it's own or over lettuce, beans. Refrigerate up to 4 days.

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page