Keeping track of stored food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2007, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a chest freezer and a pantry area for storing dry goods in our basement. HOwever, we're having a hard time keeping track of what we've stockpiled. Any suggestions?

nak

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's in your basement, the way I see it, you have one of two options:

1) Make a notebook and list everything that's in your freezer and everything that's in your pantry. Keep the notebook up in the main part of the house, and when you take something out, scratch it off your list. If you add put something in either of them, write it down on the list.

You might want to make a column to show when an item was put in pantry or freezer, so you know what to use first.

Then, you'll only have to look at your notebook to see what you have available and save an extra trip down to the basement.

2) Make a list of the items in the freezer and one for the pantry, and put them on the outside, with a pen or pencil to make changes to your list.

I would suggest the first option, that way you'll know what you have before taking the trip to get it.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I wonder if there's any way to do it with a wipe-off system. The notebook seems like it would get a little cumbersome. Plus if something isn't right in front of my face, I forget about it.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 06-05-2007, 12:00 AM

What about using one of those white dry erase boards or even a chalk board, in your kitchen somewhere or in your pantry. You write what you've made, how much & the date. When its used up erase, when you have new stuff add?

We have a freezer in the garage, everything I have in my memory & I could even tellyou where it is in the freezer. :
Old 06-10-2007, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Thanks! I wonder if there's any way to do it with a wipe-off system. The notebook seems like it would get a little cumbersome. Plus if something isn't right in front of my face, I forget about it.
A trick I learned on the road: Type up your list of what you generally have and put it into a plastic page protector. Then you can cross off or add to or whatever using a transparency marker. The beauty of using this instead of a dry erase marker is that it is permanent UNTIL YOU WIPE IT WITH A WET CLOTH. Ta-dah! So you can come up with any system at all, even leave yourself some room for notes or whatever...and re-use your sheet over and over!

And you can take a piece of string and tie it around the cap of the pen and attach the other end to one of the punched out holes in the page protector so that you always have it handy. Just a thought!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
Old 06-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeciMami View Post
A trick I learned on the road: Type up your list of what you generally have and put it into a plastic page protector. Then you can cross off or add to or whatever using a transparency marker. The beauty of using this instead of a dry erase marker is that it is permanent UNTIL YOU WIPE IT WITH A WET CLOTH. Ta-dah! So you can come up with any system at all, even leave yourself some room for notes or whatever...and re-use your sheet over and over!

And you can take a piece of string and tie it around the cap of the pen and attach the other end to one of the punched out holes in the page protector so that you always have it handy. Just a thought!
this is a great idea!!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

That's awesome--thanks!

Old 06-12-2007, 07:20 PM

When I put a meal on the monthly menu and I know it is a "freeze half" i automatically write it down somewhere at the end of the month, or the beginning of the next month with a little note that says "in freezer". Then, when i freeze it i label it really well and if i need to put the recipe reference on it so i know where to look up the cooking times and stuff.

Its nice to look at the calender and know i don't have to cook next Tuesday or whatever, and it helps me to actually use the things i prepare.

User Tag List