Need serious help with meal planning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have three adults eating breakfast, lunch/dinner and supper.
I have pasta, couse couse, quinoa, mullet and lentils.

Can you please suggest what i can make using my dry staff as a main component?
I don't have a lot of money or time, we can not eat beans, meat or dairy.
We would like to eat fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 PM

My husband likes to fix some kind of noodle (usually macaroni, but he'll mix it up at times) and then add cans of tuna in with it, add mayo, a little bit of sweet relish, and some onion. It's a cool salad meal that really can be eaten throughout the year. And, it's not that expensive to make.
#3 of 4 Old 06-07-2007, 01:02 PM

To me there is nothing better than some pasta, linguine, and then thrown back in the pan with some chopped garlic for a minute.

Canned fish is probably the least expensive.

Right now I am having a blank thinking of breakfast that does not include meat, dairy... Um maybe cold pasta? Quinoa?
#4 of 4 Old 06-09-2007, 04:32 AM

i make lentil soup when I'm out of everything else:
-wash lentils (1-2 cups)& put in pot
-add any of these that you have:
carrots, garlic (i like about 2-3 cloves), onions, diced tomatos (any other veggies you like, but none are necessary if you don't have any!)
-olive oil (about 1/4 c)
-water (put enough to make it look like soup, then about 2-4 cups extra because you boil the pasta in the soup)
-substitute some of the water for chicken, beef or veg. broth if yo have it, but it's not necessary
-spices: I like basil, oregano, salt, black pepper & crushed red pepper, omitt red pepper if you don't want it spicy & add garlic salt or onion powder if you don't have fresh onions or garlic. You can also use an 'italian' spice mix. I don't measure just do about 1 tbs. of the green type (basil, oregano, italian) & 1 tsp. of the others, & add more to your taste after you let it cook for awhile. If you use broth, you don't need as much salt, pepper, onion powder or garlic salt. if you use just water, use alot of spices!
-cook until the lentils & veggies are getting soft on med. (~20 min?)
-bring to boil & add any kind of pasta about 2 dry cups(I like small ones like little shells or elbows) & cook until pasta is done!
I also do this with barley or rice instead of pasta. You can also add less water/ broth & more 'stuff' to make it more like a 'stew'. This is a very easy meal because measurements are not precise. You really can't mess it up!
*Tip: if you are in a rush, just boil everything from the start-it will cook faster, but if you have a little more time, let it simmer on low for awhile like 30-45 min...it will 'cook down' more & flavors will be richer & more blended.
Hope that helps!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page