Help me concoct meals from my pantry to feed family the rest of this week - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update in my last post.....and still no FSs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 03:52 PM

Dude, you're sittin' pretty.

Cream of chicken with corn and tomato soup ... nice for summer.

Heat your cream of chick base on the stove and thin it out with a little water. (I don't know how many people you're trying to feed here, so I can't get specific on the proportions). Bring it to a simmer (don't burn, it's got cream in it!), and add 1/3 the amount of corn and diced or chunky tomatoes. Re-season with a little hot sauce, Worcestershire, onion and garlic powder, and serve with black pepper.

Take the lima beans, pinto beans, and peas and make a cold bean salad with the rotini. Season with salt, pepper, a dash of vinegar and oil if you have them, cumin if you have it, and dried herbs if available.

Hot dogs cut up in Mac n' cheese is one of my husband's favorite gourmet dishes.

Season the tuna with soy sauce (got some packets from takeout lying around, or can you steal some? ), a dash of mustard, and a dash of curry powder if you have it, and spread onto cucumber rounds for a snack or make into sandwiches.

My family eats Bush's baked beans all by themselves or with a little bread.

Season the canned salmon with black pepper and mustard (and a little mayo really helps if you could borrow a tablespoon or two from a neighbor), combine with some breadcrumbs (just toast a piece or two of bread, dry it out in the oven, and crumble it), form into patties and make salmon cakes. Pat each side with a little bit of flour and brown in a skillet with butter over medium heat. Serve as sandwiches on the kaiser rolls, or by themselves drizzled with a little mustard, mayo, or ketchup, depending on your taste.

Let's see, how far will that get you?
#3 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
tuna - 1 or 2 cans depending on your taste
(1) peas - drained
3 mac n cheese
Hey sweetie,
Here's the first recipe. Believe it or not, my mom used to make this for me when I was a little girl and DH and I ate this the other night. DH HATES fish, but he loved this recipe.

Cook up the mac and cheese as normal. When done, drain the tuna and dump into pot. Drain the peas, also dump into pot. Mix it up and it's ready to eat. If you want, you can even bake it for a while and get that nice crispy pasta thing going on. MUCHO
#4 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can substitute the banana for the eggs in a muffin recipe, assuming that you have everything else you need to make the muffins. Muffins go a long way toward keeping little tummies full.

Drain the peaches (save the juice - you can use it instead of milk in your muffins!) and puree them in your blender. Spread on bread for a snack.

You can make chili with the refried beans, pinto beans, stewed tomatoes and 1 tin of the corn. (Add garlic powder, chili powder, red and black pepper and cumin from your spice rack. Minced onion or onion powder would be good, as well, if you've got any.)

Butter the Kaiser rolls and CAREFULLY toast them under your broiler. Heat up the baked beans and spoon on top of hot buttered toasted rolls. Voila! Baked beans on toast. (Hey, millions of British children can't be wrong! )

Heat up one tin of the cream of chicken soup with 1 cup water. Prepare potato flakes with water and butter. Pour chicken "gravy" over potatoes. Serve with peas and buttered sandwich bread.

ITA with hotdogs sliced in mac 'n cheese.

Oatmeal for breakfast.

Pasta salad:

1 box elbows
1 tin corn
1 tin lima beans (drained and rinsed)
1 tin tuna fish
cucumber (peeled and chopped)

Cook pasta. Combine with remaining ingrediants and mix well. Make a vinagrette dressing with vinegar (do you have vinegar?), and the herbs and spices of your choice. Let chill overnight in the fridge.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#5 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 04:37 PM

1 pkg hot dogs + baked beans=yummmmmmm
#6 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 05:20 PM

Vegitarian chili:
corn, pinto beans, lima beans, and stwered tomatoes

Tuna Cassarole:
Mac N Cheese, tuna & peas

Pasta dish:
Some of your beans with some of the corn and some noodles

Creole chicken:
canned chicken, rice, and one can diced tomatoes. I make something like this usually with chicken thighs. I use the can of tomatoes with liquid as part of the cooking liquid for the rice. Add water if you need more cooking liquid.

Salmon and 1 can diced tomatoes and noodles

Hot dogs on sandwich bread

Oatmeal (lots and lots of oatmeal)

Single mom of 2 boys
#7 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 05:36 PM

You could make veggie shepherd's pie. Layer the beans, corn and peas, season with salt, pepper, garlic and basil, add tomatoes & some of the juice (not too much as to make it really wet) and top with the mashed potatoes made w/ the flakes. Bake until bubbly in a 350 oven.

Salmon Patties, Mix salmon with a little flour, spice to taste w/ salt and pepper. You can add onion if you have dried onion on hand. Fry in a little oil or butter until crispy. Serve with peas, applesauce, sliced cucumber and mac-n-cheese, rice or instant potatoes.

When you get the milk you could make rice pudding.

How about "bruschetta"? Slice the kaiser rolls in half, put a little butter and garlic powder on them and toast them in the oven. Top with diced tomatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, basil, oregano.

Cream of chicken mixed with tuna, noodles and peas casserole.

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#8 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 05:38 PM

you could probably make a peach cobbler with your canned peaches and baking supplies.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#9 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 PM

MMMM Peach cobbler! What a great idea

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#10 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 05:54 PM

Marinara Sauce:
saute garlic in oil, add canned tomatoes, preferablly blenderized for a few pulses or squished by hand....add basil, oregano, marjoram, etc, salt & pepper

simmer for a bit till it tastes like sauce, not soup

And/Or
Minestrone....
http://southernfood.about.com/od/sou.../r/blbb641.htm
basically just toss whatever veggies you want in with the tomatoes and add some cooked pasta

pasta e fagioli: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1658...252195,00.html
easy, cheap, and you really can use any bean...just white kidney is traditional.

If desperate enough, I'd make lasagna with the mac & cheese mixed in for the cheese

make some tortilla with the flour, have those w/ rice & refried beans
we skip the shortening and use a little oil.

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/Recip...px?searchText=
has a good recipe search for canned stuff

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#11 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 06:06 PM

By the way, JM - thanks so much for posting this! You inspired me to also take inventory and be creative. *hug
#12 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! :

jjsgirl - you're welcome

Dh is the "resident pastry chef" in the house and I just mentioned the cobbler idea.

You mamas are geniuses! I love to try to cook new things (hate being in a cooking rut? boring...) and I'll be using up what we have in what looks like will get us through three/four more days. We were just kind of looking at all the pasta we had and going "uuuuhhhh soooo sick of paaasta". I'm all excited now.

I did find some red wine vinegar over the stove, yay! I was out of white vinegar. We also have a few bottles of red wine. We have soy sauce too.

I'll let you know what I do...
#13 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Wow! :

jjsgirl - you're welcome
YAAAY! Now, go put Rachael Ray to shame! :
#14 of 23 Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 PM

WOW! Great, great ideas!!!

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#15 of 23 Old 06-09-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Just got done attempting the salmon patties....made a mess but once we got going they don't taste too bad.
#16 of 23 Old 06-09-2007, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh, yes, if you like tuna noodle casserole, you DO have the perfect ingredients! We make the mac n cheese, then mix in the cream of chicken soup, the drained tuna, and the peas, and then bake. If we have stale corn flakes or stale chips, we put those on top. It's actually one of our comfort foods!

You could also make some oatmeal cookies w/bananas rather than eggs. Mmmmm. I love oatmeal cookies!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#17 of 23 Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Banned

Such great ideas here! I must say it is inspiring me to be a bit more creative with what I have and do more of a pantry challenge. I spent a ton on groceries last week, we've had lots of expenses like birthdays etc. lately so it would be good to be a bit thriftier.

To the OP: have you tried http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com ?

She has marvelous recipes that are easy, tried, and true, and tons of money-saving ideas for cooking and shopping. I visit her website at least once a week. P.S. Her muffin recipes are outstanding and EASY!
#18 of 23 Old 06-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowbird View Post
To the OP: have you tried http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com ?

She has marvelous recipes that are easy, tried, and true, and tons of money-saving ideas for cooking and shopping. I visit her website at least once a week. P.S. Her muffin recipes are outstanding and EASY!
OMG - that lady is my new hero. Her website is AMAZING! Feed a family on $40!!!!
#19 of 23 Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 PM

Wow all I thought of was the mac and cheese, you ladies are my heros! I know were to write when in a bind!
#20 of 23 Old 06-13-2007, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

OH yes I have hillbillyhousewife bookmarked - love that site! She can make things stretch beyond my wildest imagination!

Meant to write an update...
For breakfast we've been doing oatmeal and wic cereal, lunch is usually peanut butter and jam (Dh makes jam and I forgot on our top shelf we still have several jars) with whatever bread we have available.

Dh did put together a cobbler and that was Sat...the kids ate it right up.

Our WIC ended up kicking in on Sat. or Sunday I think so we were able to get eggs and cheese and make a homemade pizza for Kieran's 8th birthday, bake a cake and make our own frosting for it. Dh gifted him with some of his comics b/c Kieran has taken great care of the one he already has...and Kieran gave me a hug at the end of the day and said it was the best birthday ever. :

Monday for dinner I put together some rice, refried beans, tomato paste and some diced tomatos with an enchilada seasoning mix I found over the stove (amazing what you find when you dig) and then I made homemade flour tortillas - that was super easy - 2 C flour, 3 Tbs shortening, a bit of salt and 3/4 C water - , just time consuming. It was worth the wait and really yummy...I did wish we had more cheese to go with it though

last night BIL put together a homemade sauce and we served that over rotini so I think all of that about killed my tomato products supply

Tonight we were tired and Dh made scrambled eggs and toast.

So, I thought I would update this list...because we have to keep going on what we have, plus I received a care package in the mail yesterday

Pantry:

(2) cans cream of chicken (family size)
(3) "" tuna
(2) "" corn
(1) "" pinto beans
(2) "" lima beans
(1) "" peas
(1) "" Bush's baked beans (lg size)
(2) "" Alaskan salmon
(1) "" spaghetti sauce
a lot of peanut butter

1 box penne
1 "" mancotti
3 "" lasanga noodles
2 "" elbows
3 lbs spaghetti
2 bags egg noodles
1 box hummus/tahini
3 "" mac n cheese
3 "" potato flakes
Approx. 3 C white rice
approx. 1 C brown rice

Several Cs of oats
1-2 lbs of soy flour (and other baking supplies, bs, bp, etc., minus sugar, we are out of sugar!)
2 boxes dry milk
Fridge:
1 jar applesauce
1 lb butter
8 pkg yeast
1 cucumber
ketchup
mustard
milk
eggs
#21 of 23 Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 AM

Jesse - SO SO SO happy to hear there was some sunshine!
#22 of 23 Old 06-19-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I would update again...we just found out this morning that our fs's finally came in but I'm glad I came away from this experience with being better able to make do with out eating pasta rice then pasta then rice every night. And I learned how to do my own tortillas and it's so easy the recipe is already firmly planted in my head. The kids loved it too and they weren't nutso about the store-bought tortilla shells. I also discovered that Kieran, who hates any type of meat, will eat some types of beans, so, phew! It's so hard to get protien in him that isn't peanut butter.

I made a reasonable shopping list but I bet we are going totally gorge ourselves tonight

Now I have a reason to finish cleaning up the kitchen. :
#23 of 23 Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thought I would update again...we just found out this morning that our fs's finally came in but I'm glad I came away from this experience with being better able to make do with out eating pasta rice then pasta then rice every night. And I learned how to do my own tortillas and it's so easy the recipe is already firmly planted in my head. The kids loved it too and they weren't nutso about the store-bought tortilla shells. I also discovered that Kieran, who hates any type of meat, will eat some types of beans, so, phew! It's so hard to get protien in him that isn't peanut butter.

I made a reasonable shopping list but I bet we are going totally gorge ourselves tonight

Now I have a reason to finish cleaning up the kitchen. :
HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy to hear the news, Jesse!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page