Where do you get your recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-09-2007, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where do you find healthy recipes for your family? Is there a good online recipe site I could browse? I've looked at the cookbooks - Simply in Season, and More with Less, but have to keep returning them to the library, lol. Are there other ones you like? Or an online resource? I'm looking for basic, family recipes, nothing gourmet or with strange ingredients - we're just looking to cut out high fructose corn syrup and preservatives and junk and just make basic healthy food!
#2 of 18 Old 06-09-2007, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dh loves http://allrecipes.com

he also uses the food network site a lot
#3 of 18 Old 06-09-2007, 08:06 PM

I like to read, so I'm frequently reading cookbooks and/or magazines, just for fun, not looking for something in particular. I think that reading lots of recipes gives you an idea of what sounds good together, to help you towards cooking without a recipe.

I cook a whole lot out of Southern Living Ultimate Recipes. I find that it has a lot of basic recipes, in a wide range. Everything from blueberry muffins to jalapeno marinated chicken to chocolate pie with meringue. It's not technically a "healthy" cookbook, but it uses mostly fresh, simple ingredients. I also really like Moosewood Simple Suppers. That one is vegetarian. And, I get a lot of simple, weeknight recipes out of the magazine, Everyday Food.
#4 of 18 Old 06-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellyaellen View Post
dh loves http://allrecipes.com

he also uses the food network site a lot
I also love allrecipes. I use the ingredient search function a lot. It helps me locate recipes when there are ingredients in the fridge that I need to use up.

I love the More with Less Cookbook. The other cookbook I use a lot for basic recipes is an old (1950s?) edition of the Joy of Cooking.
#5 of 18 Old 06-09-2007, 11:10 PM

The New Best Recipes by the Editors of Cooks Illustrated
Too, anything else in their series...

Rao's...it's an Italian Restaurant, but they have a whole series of cookbooks with REAL italian recipes...and they rock!

The New Vegetarian Kitchen by Peter Burley (or Berley, I never remember...)

Moosewood books...I like the "cooks at home" one, so do the kids!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#6 of 18 Old 06-10-2007, 12:45 PM

My all time favs are by Deborah Madison, "Vegetarian Cooking for Everone..."
and "Local Flavors". They are beautifully organized, full of info, and everything is delicious!!
#7 of 18 Old 06-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Oh, and since you asked for websites, Cooks Illustrated also has a website that has all of their recipes from their magazines. Good resource!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#8 of 18 Old 06-12-2007, 01:30 PM

I like kraftfoods.com for recipe ideas, although I usually substitute healthier ingredients. I love that site because they have pictures of the finished product. I'm a very visual person and like to see what my food's going to look like!

I also have a subscription to Food & Family magazine and get some really interesting recipes from those.
#9 of 18 Old 06-12-2007, 05:03 PM

I use More with Less all the time, it's worth it to have my own copy.

Single mom of 2 boys
#10 of 18 Old 06-12-2007, 06:08 PM

Cooking Light magazine and cookinglight.com. Everything on the website is member reviewed, which is nice to read before making a dish. Every recipe I've made from there has been a *huge* hit!
#11 of 18 Old 06-12-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I also love allrecipes
us too.

I also get alot from shape mag. and from LLL cookbooks. I have 2. I also really like my better homes and gardens cookbook.
#12 of 18 Old 06-16-2007, 01:14 AM

Online I like to use the website for the Food Network - I think it's www.foodtv.com - and www.epicurious.com. Cooks Illustrated magazine also has a good online recipe site but I think you have to pay a fee.

Martha Stewart and Real Simple Magazine both have online recipe libraries I have used often as well. All of these sites allow you to store favorite recipes in an online "cookbook" which is nice.
#13 of 18 Old 06-16-2007, 02:36 AM

I like to surf around www.recipezaar.com and they have nifty ingredient/theme searches. Plus the ratings and comments are very helpful.

I regularly peruse the cookbooks that I have at home to get ideas. The Good Housekeeping white book, The Garden of Eating, Veggie Love, Roasting, 500 Low Carb Recipes, 1001 Indian Recipes, Nourishing Traditions.

If I'm looking for something specific, I'll do a google search and look at at least 5-10 different recipes for the same thing and then concoct my own using ingredients/techniques that appeal to me.

I also get great ideas from people on messageboards.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#14 of 18 Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 AM

I also LOVE www.recipezaar.com - That is one AMAZING site! I get all of my recipes from there! I love the rating system and the message boards!
#15 of 18 Old 06-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Another vote for Cook's Illustrated and their book New Best Recipes. The articles are long but either don't read them or I read them once and then notate the recipe in the margins to speed things up in the future. There is a fee for the website but it could be well worth it!

I also use allrecipes regularly and consult Martha's site. Moosewood Cooks at Home gets used pretty regularly here too. I do like that if you're watching Food Network and something looks good, the show that's on is highlighted on the top of the website with the recipes of the day and you can get to them immediately - it is here at least which makes it nice not to have to dig to find something!

I keep a binder with recipes in it from the library, printed from websites, magazines, or friends, each piece slipped into a page protector. It's worked nicely over the years and is easy to cull. Good luck!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#16 of 18 Old 06-24-2007, 03:57 AM

I'm on vegweb.com all the time. Most of the recipes are pretty easy. Try the General Tsai Tofu it's fantastic!

Mama to Paisley (3/07) & Violet (12/10) and wife to my Piggy-love. 
#17 of 18 Old 06-24-2007, 05:33 AM

:

Thanks for the awesome links. I've been needing new recipes to get out of the cooking rut. . .thus leading to us eating too much take out.

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#18 of 18 Old 06-25-2007, 06:13 PM

In addition to the ones above, I sometimes use Taste of Home's website. I steer away from the processed foods recipes and modify ones that look good to meet our needs.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page