cheap meals???? need help!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-12-2007, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i currently spend about 400 a month on food and i need to cut the bill...we are a family of 4...one of us is only 16 months...what are some good cheap meals that i can make to cut my bill in half? suggestions????
i do want to buy organic milk, dairy, veggis, and meat....i dont know how it is where you live but organic milk here in cali is 3.02 for a half gallon...ouch!!!

what do you know about powder milk? is this somewhat organic even though it isnt stated as so...this may be a dumb question...
I need help ladies...need some frugal ideas that are still healthy!!!! i have a thyroid condition so i cant eat refined sugar or trans fat. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP MAMAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-13-2007, 12:42 AM

there are plenty of healthy meals you can make but I don't know if you can itand still eat mostly organic. Have you looked into a coop. Ours charges no membership fee and you get a whole bag of fruits and veggies for $25 and they are organic. If it weren't for them I'd be in the poor house buying organic.
#3 of 7 Old 06-13-2007, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

what do i have to do to join one?
#4 of 7 Old 06-15-2007, 05:55 PM

Cutting your bill in half while still eating organic? That would be a toughie. You could eat more beans and rice type dishes, and buy less meat. But what little meat you do buy could still be organic. Drink less milk but what you do drink could be organic. (Powdered milk that's not labeled as organic wouldn't be organic, to answer your question.) If the organic eggs are cheaper than organic meat, buy more eggs for your animal protien source and less meat-- eat more quiche and scrambled eggs.

Single mom of 2 boys
#5 of 7 Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 PM

Consider coupons as well. There are coupons for many organic food products in the Mambo Sprouts coupon book (often available at stores like Whole Foods). Find them here too. The regular Sunday coupos also have organic coupons from time to time. Cascadian Farms, Stoneyfield Farms, Morningstar Farms, Neman's Own, and Muir Glen organic products spring to mind in particular. When I see these coupons, I stock up on them via ebay or coupon clipping services. I've bought Muir Glen organic tomatoes for less than a quarter a can this way, but I'm also a big coupon user and have learned "the ropes" about the coupon rules at my local stores, sales cycles, etc.

Another good resource is Trader Joe's if you happen to have one near by. They have a great ever-expanding selection of reasonably-priced organic products, especially frozen produce. Additionally, Trader Joe's will accept manufacturer coupons on the name brand items they carry (most of their stock is their own brand, but not all).

Amazon.com has a grocery site now with very good pricing on many organic products, but the downside is that you usually need to buy by the case.

Farmer's markets and CSAs are another good resource this time of year. Extend the season by freezing, canning, drying, etc.

Also, make the most of what you buy. For instance, if you're investing in organic meats, don't let the bones go to waste after you've eaten the meat. Use them to make organic stocks for soup making and other cooking (you can do a quick search for "bone broth" to get more info about this if you need to). Very healthy and very good way to make the most of your food purchase.

Another suggestion....cut other household costs instead. A lot of grocery money goes to non-food purchases (health & beauty, paper goods, cleaning supplies, medication, etc.) Learning how to make your own cleaning supplies or cutting down to a few mulit-purpose cleaners can help a lot. Look here and there are online grocery saving services to help you "scientifically" use coupons and sales trends to maximize savings. This one has a month-long trial for $1.

HTH and good luck!
#6 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

wow your like the health foods for cheap guru...thanks!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyParent View Post
Consider coupons as well. There are coupons for many organic food products in the Mambo Sprouts coupon book (often available at stores like Whole Foods). Find them here too. The regular Sunday coupos also have organic coupons from time to time. Cascadian Farms, Stoneyfield Farms, Morningstar Farms, Neman's Own, and Muir Glen organic products spring to mind in particular. When I see these coupons, I stock up on them via ebay or coupon clipping services. I've bought Muir Glen organic tomatoes for less than a quarter a can this way, but I'm also a big coupon user and have learned "the ropes" about the coupon rules at my local stores, sales cycles, etc.

Another good resource is Trader Joe's if you happen to have one near by. They have a great ever-expanding selection of reasonably-priced organic products, especially frozen produce. Additionally, Trader Joe's will accept manufacturer coupons on the name brand items they carry (most of their stock is their own brand, but not all).

Amazon.com has a grocery site now with very good pricing on many organic products, but the downside is that you usually need to buy by the case.

Farmer's markets and CSAs are another good resource this time of year. Extend the season by freezing, canning, drying, etc.

Also, make the most of what you buy. For instance, if you're investing in organic meats, don't let the bones go to waste after you've eaten the meat. Use them to make organic stocks for soup making and other cooking (you can do a quick search for "bone broth" to get more info about this if you need to). Very healthy and very good way to make the most of your food purchase.

Another suggestion....cut other household costs instead. A lot of grocery money goes to non-food purchases (health & beauty, paper goods, cleaning supplies, medication, etc.) Learning how to make your own cleaning supplies or cutting down to a few mulit-purpose cleaners can help a lot. Look here and there are online grocery saving services to help you "scientifically" use coupons and sales trends to maximize savings. This one has a month-long trial for $1.

HTH and good luck!
#7 of 7 Old 06-25-2007, 08:08 PM

coupons definitely. i spent about $136 on our last grocery bill, and saved $59 and some change that will last us 2 weeks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page