zucchini/summer squash recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's CSA time and our box will contain seemingly more zucchinis than we can eat. I've already done zucchini bread, will do some fritters. I've grated it and used it for tacos. I have snuck some into a potato and cheese soup.

What are the rest of you with gardens or CSA or farmers' market junkies doing with your summer squash?

Any yummy recipes out there? Please share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 PM

We like to dip sliced zuchinni in egg and then flour and fry them. Then we dip them in soy sauce and a little bit of vinegar. It's my favorite way to eat any kind of squash. It probably doesn't sound very good, but it tastes good!!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

No way, it sounds GREAT! The only thing I can never make taste good is putting them in a pan with olive oil. All I get is bland, watery mush.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:44 PM

We like to fry stripes in oil and vinager with spices (a ton at a time) and eat then in sandwiches and salads all summer long.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:00 AM

A Chinese recepie from "Land of Plenty" by Fuchsia Dunlop that I really like (highly recommend the whole book, in fact) paraphrased.

1 generous pound zucchini -- cut into thin slices then very fine slivers. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt, toss, and let sit for half an hour or so.

heat 2 Tbs. peanut (or canola) oil in a wok, and heat it until it's just beginning to smoke. Add 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic and stir-fry briefly, until garlic is fragrant.

Add the zucchini and mix well, continuing to stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until zucchini is just tender. Add more salt if needed.

This is really nice, but the zucchini chopping can be time consuming.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:20 AM

I like em on shish kebabs =)

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
Old 06-23-2007, 08:59 AM
dis

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I slice zucchini into spears, then toss to coat with olive oil and whatever spice mix strikes my fancy (lately that's been a garlic & parmesan mix I got at the local Italian deli, but really you can use anything). Heat the BBQ screaming hot, then grill them in one of those veggie baskets that sits on top of the grill (usually we also include peppers, asparagus, and mushrooms). Mmmmmmmmm, veggie medley side dish! And I always, always, make way too much, so lunch the next day is grilled veggie wraps with goat cheese (or whatever else we happen to have on hand).
Old 06-23-2007, 03:12 PM

I like to julienne (sp?) both the zucchini and summer squash into long strips and mix them together. Then I throw them into a pan with some butter and let them sautee until some parts are a little brown and crispy. I also add fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste. It's delicious!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Nice stuff. We don't have a grill. but the other stuff sounds great--esp the wok one.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:17 PM

I made a great cream sauce for pasta the other week--slowly cook very thin slices of zuchinni in a little olive oil until they become mush. Add a little cream--maybe 1/4-1/2 cup. Season with salt and pepper, mix with pasta. It's like an alfredo sauce. We ate crumbed italian sausage and chard in the pasta as well for a very filling dish.

I also saute zuchinni and yellow squash in olive oil with oregano and thyme.

Grill.

Casserole. I use mostly yellow squash for this, but either will work. Boil with an onion until tender; drain. Slightly mash with some cracker crumbs, cheese, and an egg. Bake until it is set. This is good stuff, and it is very versatile. I usually use cheddar, but sometimes swiss, monterey jack, mozzarella, cream cheese, sour cream, really anything. Mostly saltines, but sometimes Ritz or seasoned bread crumbs or stuffing mix or you name it...

I freeze grated zuchinni to make bread at Christmas time.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I made a great cream sauce for pasta the other week--slowly cook very thin slices of zuchinni in a little olive oil until they become mush. Add a little cream--maybe 1/4-1/2 cup. Season with salt and pepper, mix with pasta. It's like an alfredo sauce. We ate crumbed italian sausage and chard in the pasta as well for a very filling dish.

I also saute zuchinni and yellow squash in olive oil with oregano and thyme.

Grill.

Casserole. I use mostly yellow squash for this, but either will work. Boil with an onion until tender; drain. Slightly mash with some cracker crumbs, cheese, and an egg. Bake until it is set. This is good stuff, and it is very versatile. I usually use cheddar, but sometimes swiss, monterey jack, mozzarella, cream cheese, sour cream, really anything. Mostly saltines, but sometimes Ritz or seasoned bread crumbs or stuffing mix or you name it...

I freeze grated zuchinni to make bread at Christmas time.
Oh, great ideas! I love the cream one. So far, I've used cream and bacon with three of our CSA veggies: cabbage, cauliflower and potatoes. DH and I joke that we could pretty much put anything in cream and bacon and it will be good! Now we can try squash. I also love the idea of freezing for holiday bread. Very clever.
A funny PS, I was at the Farmers' market today and saw our farmers. I asked them how they've been preparing squash. The woman laughed and said her husband can't stand the stuff! No wonder they are filling our boxes with it!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:53 AM

I've mad ethis recipe into muffins in teh past - really good and have used up to 4 cups zucchin for this recipe - just makes it mroe moist.

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD

2 sm. zucchini (about 1/2 lb. total) or 2 c. grated
4 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 c. oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 2 (8 x 4) loaf pans.
Grate zucchini. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine zucchini except the chocolate chips. Stir into dry ingredients until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick stuck in the center of the bread comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool on rack 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.

I also make zuchhin pancakes - like potato pancakes but with shredded zuchinni instead of potatos.

I freeze shredded zuchhini in 1 or 2 cup amounts and add it to spaghetti sauces, soups , stews.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i fry them in olive oil, a bit of garlic and sprinkle with parm. cheese when done
Old 06-25-2007, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashenka View Post
No way, it sounds GREAT! The only thing I can never make taste good is putting them in a pan with olive oil. All I get is bland, watery mush.
Salt then first and then let some of the water drain off.

I love zucchini fry pasta. Cut the zucchini like French fries - salt and drain for several hours. Toss with flour and fry in OO. Mix with pasta, a little OO, maybe some cream and chees.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 AM

When we have an abundance of zucchini, I grate and freeze it.

(I am so jealous you have zukes already, we wait so looong in the Northeast, our gardens are just starting it seems)
Old 06-25-2007, 03:12 PM

I grill it and make sandwiches w/ mozzarealla cheese & smear of pesto sauce
Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihelinka View Post
I grill it and make sandwiches w/ mozzarealla cheese & smear of pesto sauce
Oh, that reminds me of a sandwich we did last year with grilled zucchini and a chipotle sauce. SOOOO good! Pesto sounds great, too!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:16 PM

I've been slicing it into "coins", tossing with olive oil salt and pepper, and sticking them under the broiler for a few minutes until the tops start to brown. Then eat or add to pasta!

That's actually how I do most veggies because I don't have to pay too much attention to them that way.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 AM

There was an AMAZING recipe in Cooks Illustrated (or maybe it was Cook's Country) a couple years back that is perfect for CSAs. Basically you grate and drain the zucchini and remove corn kernels from a few cobs. Sautee corn and zucchini in some butter and sprinkle chopped chives over in the last couple minutes of cooking. Sooooo good.

You could also make & freeze minnestrone soup (especially if you have tomato/zucchini bouny at the same time) and there are 101 ways to make zucchini bread (I know because I made them all when I had out last CSA bumper crop of squash) I made lemon, cranberry orange, traditional with walnuts, walnut chooclate chip, double chocolate, etc. Basically, I mixed and matched fruits, nuts, and/or chocolate into a bunch of combinations.

User Tag List