What do you freeze it in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I am just starting to think I need to do something about how much I spend on food, and I thought... hmmm I will stock my freezer. But my stuff usually gets freezer burn. What do you all use to freeze your food?

Thanks

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-06-2007, 04:54 PM

I use the freezer strength zip-lock bags. Sometimes I'll put two chicken breasts or one steak in a quart sized bag, then I'll put a couple of those bags inside a gallon sized bag.
#3 of 8 Old 07-06-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Do you ever get those throw away cke pans to put stuff in like manacotti or something? Or do you store everything in ziplock? Thanks

H

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#4 of 8 Old 07-08-2007, 01:36 AM

At large bed/linnen/kitchen supply stores they sell relatively inexpensive sets of glass corningwear caserole dishes with rubber lids in multiple sizes. These work really well for freezing dishes in (i freeze both cooked and uncooked meals this way) and i haven't had freezer burn problems. I am then able to easily put a compiled dish straight from the freezer to oven (though i usually put the cool glass dish into a cool oven - or microwave is also an option if you prefer). The rubber lids help them stack nicely in the freezer too.

If you don't want to buy lots of these dishes but one set, freeze things in them and once frozen solid, the transfer them to freezer-safe gallon plastic bags and store those in the freezer and re-use the glass dishes for something else (this is also a good way to give a frozen meal to a friend so you don't have to worry about getting a dish back). A 9x9 or smaller size works well for this. they also have gargantuous ziploc bags at the grocery store (though don't know if they're good for freezing) if you wanted to use them for a larger caserole size.

It doesn't have to be a caserole, it could be soup, lentils, etc.
#5 of 8 Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
Do you ever get those throw away cke pans to put stuff in like manacotti or something? Or do you store everything in ziplock? Thanks

H
I've done dishes like that at Dream Dinners, and they always wrap them in saran wrap for me to give it that extra freezer protection.
#6 of 8 Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 PM

Usually in ziploc freezer bags.
#7 of 8 Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 PM

I use freezer bags and suck all the air out with a straw. The book 'Super Baby Food' by Ruth Yarron has some great ideas for freezing stuff that I've found really helpful.
#8 of 8 Old 07-15-2007, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Either freezer bags or that vaccuum freezer thingie...I can't remember the name.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page