Did I screw up this recipe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-09-2007, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so in an effort to continue on the success of the 2 weeks of meal planning we've done, I've decided to try to find some new recipes for my family so we're not eating the same 6 meals over and over again.

Last night I attempted to make chicken crepes a la Hillbilly Housewife. (I'm starting basic here, people ) So the first part of that is to make the Creamed Chicken (recipe here: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/creamedchicken.htm).

I don't know what happened, but there were tons of tiny little chunks of onion in my sauce. DW is not an onion fan, so in desperation I strained the sauce and was left with a strainer full of minced onion pieces! After it had cooked, come to a boil, etc. Is it supposed to be like this? I would imagine it would be uber-oniony. Or did I not let them sautee with the butter long enough? They were getting...mushy?...emulsified...? When I sauteed them before adding the flour...so I'm just stumped.

I also noticed that even the strained sauce did taste awfully onion-y. Is this just an onion-lover's recipe?

Can anyone give me some tweaks to this recipe so that I don't have to strain gobs of onion ickiness out of it next time? Or even a different recipe? Can I use onion powder instead? How much?

Thanks in advance .
#2 of 3 Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Well, when you chop an onion, the chopped up pieces aren't going to disappear, they will stay chopped up pieces. So if you don't like onion pieces just don't put onion pieces in it. FWIW I think using a whole onion for only a few cups of chicken meat is too much onion. I love onion but that seems like a large ratio to me. So that's probably why it tasted too onion-y to you. I would leave the onion out altogether if you don't want any onion taste, or put a little dash of onion powder instead.

Single mom of 2 boys
#3 of 3 Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply!

I don't mind the flavor of onions, so I will probably use onion powder next time.

But I did chop them up tiny (in my chopper...thingie..?!) so I guess I just expected them to pretty much melt into the sauce? But I could see how that wouldn't make sense.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page