Oven broken - any stovetop recipes welcome! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, our oven is broken - it won't heat at all. It will broil and the burners work fine. We also have a nice grill and crock pot. We just fixed the a/c last week so the oven will have to wait a few weeks before we can repair it.

This is going to sound stupid but for some reason I can't think of anything to make that doesn't require an oven. I am getting really sick of hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken. We are on a budget (see: oven not being repaired for a while!) and I am looking for some good skillet type recipes or crockpot recipes. Things that give leftovers would be great. Tonight we are having spaghetti.

We eat meat, and some beans.

Any suggestions?
#2 of 6 Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM

There's a HUGE crock pot thread around here somewhere... let me search...

here ya' go: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ock+pot+recipe

Single mom of 2 boys
#3 of 6 Old 07-11-2007, 07:06 PM

Can you get your hands on a grill? Do you have a patch of land or a little terrace or firescape? I don't turn my stove on from the end of May to the end of October. I hate my crockpot...I know...I suck. lol Ok, I've used it, but it's not satisfying at all for a cook.

My grill is awesome, and we only eat meat maybe 3 times total in a week? I've done *everything* on it, including bacon and eggs. : Ask me how I know.
#4 of 6 Old 07-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Ugh. I feel your pain. I've been w/out an oven for months. Unfortunately, I don't feel like I have any good ideas -- I 've also had 4 kids under 4 : , so I wasn't doing much real cooking anyway.

You can probably do most casseroles that you would normally do in your crockpot, and can do meats on your grill.

Quesedillas, homemade mac and cheese, lots of pasta dishes, stir-fry w/ rice....
#5 of 6 Old 07-12-2007, 12:05 PM

Chicken comes out pretty good on the stovetop. Put in the chicken with whatever juices or whatever flavorigns you like (I like pineapples, you can also do a bit of honey, lemon juice & a sweet juice). Boil the whole mixture, then turn it down to simmer for about 1.5 - 2 hours. You can do the same thing in the crockpot. Cook on low all day or high for a couple of hours.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#6 of 6 Old 07-14-2007, 12:13 PM

How about chili/w/ or w/ out ground meat over spaghetti w/ cheddar cheese. We eat this all the time. (however i usually buy Amy's canned veggie chili: )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page