Dinner Sandwiches? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-15-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are some of your favorite sandwiches to make for dinner? I'm looking to change up the ingredients even breads or spreads too to make some new things for us.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#2 of 7 Old 07-15-2007, 10:46 PM

We have a panini press and we l.o.v.e. it. These are some that we like in the panini press, but they'd probably work cold, too.

Greek pita, feta, onions, and tomatoes

Good crusty bread (we use nice dense italian ciabatta or some such), turkey, provolone, arugula, with basil pesto spread

Good bread, fresh basil, roma tomatoes, fresh mozzarella

(Cholesterol bomb ahead) Good bread, scrambled egg, procuitto or bacon, and cheese of choice

Rye, ham, swiss, alouette or other herbed cheese spread, lettuce

Good bread, hummus, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives

Good bread, grilled chicken, sundried tomato basil spread, roasted garlic, lettuce

I have more, but those are some of the ones I have written down that were hits. Most of the time we experiment with what we have and when we like something we put a card in the recipe box. Hope that gets the creative juices flowing for you. Oh, and for some more spread ideas, think about chutneys, pestos, sauces (like hollandaise or bernaise, for example), aïoli, herbed butters, and pastes like hummus.
#3 of 7 Old 07-16-2007, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! These sound great! Keep them coming!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#4 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 AM

I don't have a ton but one thing I do is to copy sandwiches I find at shops that I really like. We don't have a pannini but I will often just smash sandwiches and grill them with a foil covered brick sitting on top. It's worked well enough for me.

Ciabatta, pesto, sundried tomatoes, turkey slices, and fresh mozzarella is one I'm liking right now.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#5 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 AM

It's tomato season here, and there is nothing better than a tomato sandwich. Cheap, soft bread (we love Roman meal), Duke's mayo, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Heaven on a plate.
#6 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 10:30 AM

someone posted a sandwich recipe here a while back. i dont remember it exactly, but this is what is has evolved into at my house:

good, crusty bread, or a chewy pita bread.

cream cheese

sliced, ripe, IN SEASON tomatoes. if you dont have access to fresh in season tomatoes, cherry tomatoes from the store are usually more flavorful than the full sized ones.

thinly sliced onion

greens

mayo

ichiban garlic hot pepper sauce (sriracha or other hot sauce would work), if you like spiciness

vegenaise or mayo

sautee the onions over medium heat until translucent. meanwhile spread cream cheese on one half of bread. put the still hot onions on the cream cheese. top with the sliced tomatoes and greens. slather some vegenaise and hot sauce on the other piece of bread.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#7 of 7 Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
It's tomato season here, and there is nothing better than a tomato sandwich. Cheap, soft bread (we love Roman meal), Duke's mayo, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Heaven on a plate.
hands down, the best sandwich ever!!!!!! except i would sub vegenaise for the mayo, and fresh ground pepper is essential. yum yum yum!!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page