What's your monthy grocery budget? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 08-18-2007, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by female18- View Post
$200 a month maximum for myself and ds. You guys spend so much wow! I buy organic fruit when its available (apple and bananas), brand names usually too. Maybe its because there's only 2 of us.
Could be. Also, people eat differently and have different priorities foodwise. Also, food costs differ from place to place.
#32 of 34 Old 08-18-2007, 08:10 AM

I spend about $700 for our family, that includes everything like TP and laundry soap. We don't have any pets. My two oldest kids are on their own so don't count but I have five at home including two teenagers. New baby will only breastfeed so no expense there.

We are able to get seasonal organic produce from a nearby farm very cheaply and that helps. I do almost all meal preparation at home using simple ingrediants.
#33 of 34 Old 08-20-2007, 04:16 PM

$1000 for our family of six. Three of my four kids are boys and eat a LOT and my husband buys protein powder for shakes, so I have to work hard at it to keep it within the $1000. It helps that we do an organic co-op. (This includes toiletries.)
#34 of 34 Old 08-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
At least $600 a month. We try to cut it down, and I think this month we will hit $400 from eating a lot of mac & cheese and pancakes b/c money is incredibly tight.

Groceries here are expensive, I have 3 kids who eat like they are starving to death, a diabetic dh who eats us all under the table, and I'm pg.

I try to buy mostly fresh fruits & veggies and organic when possible. I have absolutely no room for storage (under 600 sq ft for all of us and a kitchen the size of my washer and dryer), so I can *not* buy bulk. That is a concern. We have WIC which helps now with milk and eggs. But they won't give us soymilk in IL on it, so we do that out of pocket (most of us are lactose intolerant).

We don't eat out a lot, but when we do we get it super cheap-$10 to $20 tops.

Even though we spend so much, it's still what the USDA says is average, we very rarely buy junk food (I splurged on some natural Cheetos and dh gets stuff for work-he has to have lots of food on hand with his diabetes).

I try desperately to cut it down each month, but I always fail.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page