Mothering Forum banner

Cooking out Nutrients

674 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  phatchristy 
#1 ·
XPosted in Nutrition and Good Eating

I've heard that cooking and/or freezing food takes all the vitamins and nutrients out of it. So what/how do you eat if this is the case? How do we get any nutrition, short of going on a raw-food diet? I totally don't get it! But I want to be more food conscious so my family and I can eat nutritious food. I'm not ready to go all natural or organic, but I'm ready/willing to make some changes, and hopefully someday all natural/organic will be how we eat. I just don't understand what or how to eat now, if anything cooked or frozen is really just filler--for lack of a better word--with no nutrients. Any thoughts? Or suggestions on what we should be eating? I have no clue where to start!

#2 ·
Absolutely not! Some nutrients are "killed" by over-cooking, but lightly steaming veggies does keep nutrients. In fact, I've heard that, in winter, it is better to eat veggies that have been frozen at the peak of the season, thus preserving MORE nutrients, than to eat veggies that have been stored for long periods of time (thing like carrots, I guess) and have lost nutrients through storage.

#3 ·
Ok, well stating like that is a bit misleading.

Let's say you cook some vegetables in some water, what I was lead to believe that some of the nutrients will leach out into the water. But, hey, if you "drink" that water then you're OK.

Certain nutrients are hurt by heat...including vitamin C. Heat denatures vitamin C. I'm sure there are others as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.