Getting started with meal plans... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-04-2007, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so excited to have found this board! I shop at Whole Foods weekly- spend close to $200. each time I go... unpack my stuff, and then for the rest of the week literally cannot find anything to feed my kids. All they want to eat is junk food, and for awhile I had myself convinced that organic potato chips were a perfectly suitable breakfast food- they're organic, right??? Well, I really want to change. I'm tired of having to throw out fruits and vegetable because they just wilt away in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator. And I'd love to save some money. I will be reading through all of the threads here hoping to get some good tips and meal plans. If anybody has advice on getting started, I'd be appreciative!

mom to DS 7, DS 5 and DD 3 :
#2 of 6 Old 08-05-2007, 12:24 AM

Write out what you want to have for each meal and snacks for the week. From there, build a shopping list and a schedule.

For the schedule, write down reminders like starting the crockpot. And write out a list of what you want to do when you get home from the store. For example, if I have cut up veggies and dip on my list as a snack, when I get home from the store, I will cut up the veggies and bag them and make the dip. That way, when it's time to eat, everything is ready to go.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#3 of 6 Old 08-05-2007, 05:50 PM

:

Newly single mama to Squidget hearts.gif, Roo energy.gifand the newest two babyboy.gif  babyboy.gif  11/24/10
caffix.gif  treehugger.gif  fambedsingle2.gif   chicken3.gif
#4 of 6 Old 08-05-2007, 06:58 PM

Here is an awesome thread I have saved about this...
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=464552

Also I made a meal planning template if you think it might help? Here it is...
http://www.thelucastribe.com/formoms.shtml

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#5 of 6 Old 08-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankedyann View Post
Write out what you want to have for each meal and snacks for the week. From there, build a shopping list and a schedule.

For the schedule, write down reminders like starting the crockpot. And write out a list of what you want to do when you get home from the store. For example, if I have cut up veggies and dip on my list as a snack, when I get home from the store, I will cut up the veggies and bag them and make the dip. That way, when it's time to eat, everything is ready to go.
Great advice! I list all prep work first at the top of the page: like soaking beans for the week or baking a chicken and taking meat off bone, or if I need any homemade bread, pizza crusts, tortillas, etc, that all gets included as prep work, done in advance of the week. Then I list my meals under that, and I make a notation next to each meal if it's a slow cooker meal or whatever, so I'll know that I need to put it in the slowcooker that morning.

Single mom of 2 boys
#6 of 6 Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM

I have my menu printed out and taped to the frigde, then after dinner I look to see what is for tomorrow so I know if I need to set out meat/soak beans, etc.
To start small, sit down w/ a paper and write down 5 to 7 meals- just dinners so you don't get overwhelmed. Make them meals that you made before and know you like. After you get the hang of that, you can add breakfasts, etc- but if it's going to work, start w/ something easy.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page