Can you help me create a meal plan from what we have? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-08-2007, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know some of you have fun with this so please help me out! I'm short on time, money and supplies!

I need this to be frugal and healthy as possible.

I've got about 5lbs of small russet potatoes
various types of pasta
flours and cornmeal
sugar and pretty much all other basic baking ingredients (so I could make bread par example)d
dry beans: black, pinto, white, lentils

2 cans of tuna
big can of tomato sauce
cans of black beans
2 boxes of snack crackers
fritos (leftover from taco salad)
olive oil
basalmic vinegar (though dh hates it so it couldn't be a part of recipe for everyone)
2 boxes of mac n cheese

1 lb of ground beef
8 bratwurst
frozen peas
1 package froz tortillas

1/2 pkg tortillas
1/2 loaf of bread
various amounts of cereal
1.5 big boxes of fruit leather

various condiments (dressings, salsa, mustard, pickles, etc)
milk
half n half
1 lb cheddar
a few ounces of mozzarella
sour cream

I will be going to the store to fill on veggies. Normally that would be 2-3 heads or romaine (we tend to use 3/4 of a head with each dinner), onion, carrots, zucchini, tomato, mushrooms, and ????

I'd also get some fruit probably grapes and berries that are in season here. Perhaps some apples for ds (he's picky about fruit but eats a lot of Stretch Island Fruit Leather to make up for that).

I'd also likely pick up a few cans of wild salmon, a lb or so more of beef and maybe some chicken (dh feels better when he gets animal protein than when he doesn't eat it but is okay with a few bean based meals too).

So can you come up with some things for me and make me a grocery list that I can pick up today or tomorrow?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#2 of 2 Old 08-08-2007, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could make this white bean tuna salad http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._33516,00.html . I would sub cider vinegar for the red wine, if you don't have red wine vinegar already. Serve over lettuce instead of arugula. Leave out the capers. So, basically, beans, tuna, onion, tomatoes, in a vinagrette, over lettuce, as a main dish.

This looks good and different, as well. I've never had it, so it's not tried and true. http://tammysrecipes.com/tomatoes_black_beans_pasta You could sub salsa for the Rotel, use your black beans, pasta. You'd need to buy 3 tomatoes, a jalapeno, and a lime.

Quesadillas with the tortillas and cheese. You could add chicken (I find this is a good way to stretch a small amount of chicken) and/or black beans. We also like diced onions inside. Serve with salsa and sour cream.

Chilaquiles. If you have corn tortillas (or chips), this is a great economical recipe. I'm not sure if you have corn tortillas or just flour, so I'll let you find the recipe for that on your own.

You could make frito chili pie with the rest of your fritos. Make chili with your tomato sauce, beans, and maybe some ground beef. Serve it on the fritos, topped with sour cream. You'd need to buy an onion and jalapeno (depending on how you like your chili)

Black bean soup. Just cook the beans in the crockpot, then whirl in the blender. If you make the chicken early in the week, you can use the bones for stock to cook the beans in. Serve with sour cream. If you have it, you can serve this over rice for something different. You'd need to buy an onion.

Bean burritos. Cook up some pintos, then whirl them in the blender, spice them up, and put them in your tortillas with a little cheese. Top with salsa and sour cream. I'd buy an onion ( ) to cook with the beans.

Salmon croquettes. You could serve these with mashed potatoes and the frozen peas and/or zuchinni.

Pasta with a white sauce. You'd be able to use the half and half in this, and you could add the salmon or some chicken or not. Plus add zuchinni and whatever other veggies you like. I like parm cheese with this, but that would be determined by how much it costs at the store. Something like this, but without the shrimp
http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-...2/124013.shtml

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page