Easy and Tasty Lentil Recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-11-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all. I have been inspired to try something new, and picked up a bag of dried lentils. I have never had them to eat, let alone cooked them.

Does anyone have any great tried and true recipes they can share with me? I'd really appreciate it!!
#2 of 19 Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 PM

I'm not really great at actual recipes cause I don't measure much. You can go to www.allrecipes.com and they have a lot of great recipes. What I like about them is all their recipes are rated and a lot have reviews with extra info so it gives you a better idea what really works vs. a cookbook where something may look great on paper but not taste great.

I think I combined a couple of recipes I found from there. What I do is throw a ton of lentils in a pot with water (I guess you could also use stock) I toss in a ton of minced garlic and a whole chopped onion and a TON of fresh grated ginger. I put a lid over the pot and turn down the heat and let it simmer for a long time, coming in to stir once in a while. When it looks like the lentils are pretty much cooked I put in a can or two of coconut milk and a bunch of curry and a bit of cinnamon and sometimes some ginger powder. You can also put in vegetables...sweet potatoes or yams are some of my favorites. I'm not quite sure what to call it - I usually just call it curried lentils. I LOVE it and I took it to an MDC picnic and a lot of people liked it a lot, though my husband won't touch it hehe. Also, it freezes and thaws very well so you can make a huge batch at once.
#3 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 12:28 AM

I saute onions and cut up hot italian sausage. When the sausage is brown all over I add about 7c ups of water ground corriander, and little bit of lemon juice...done in about an hr.
#4 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 01:14 AM

That sounds a lot like what my MIL makes! She calls it "sludge" hehe. She uses the teeny tiny black lentils you can get at Trader Joe's. I'll look around and see if she gave me the recipe. I haven't tried it yet because I'm vegetarian and don't eat soy, so I can't use fake meat and I don't think it would be near as good without the sausage.
#5 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 10:04 PM

If you're not veg*n our favorite way is:

Lentil-Rice Casserole

1 cup lentils
1 cup brown rice
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 TBLSP butter
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese

Soak lentils and rice (seperately) overnight. Drain.

Saute onion in butter. Add lentils, rice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer on low 45 minutes. Skim foam as necessary.

Serve topped with cheese.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#6 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 10:16 PM

I cook brown lentils the Greek way. Boil them with minced garlic and a couple of bay leaves and sliced carrots. If you are not a vegetarian you may boil in organic chicken broth for added flavor instead of water. You may mix in a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste.

You may serve with a splash of apple cider vinegar, crusty bread and your favorite cheese and olives. I use Greek kaseri and of course black Greek olives.

Oh soooo yummy.
#7 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 10:30 PM

Traveling the world with lentils hee hee! Here's the Lebanese Mijardra:

1 cup lentils

.5 cup brown rice

4 cups of water

One onion

butter

salt

cumin

garlic powder

Simmer the rice and the lentils until soft. Saute the onions in the butter until clear. Add to the lentils with the seasonings. Cook together for a few minutes and serve.

We love it with plain yogurt on top. You can soak the rice and lentils over night for more digestibility and nutrients.

You may have to add more water.

Sorry, I don't remember the measurements of the seasonings. I just do it to taste. Start with small amounts and have fun with it!

Obviously, you can make it vegan by using olive oil instead of butter and skipping the yogurt. Enjoy!
#8 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 10:35 PM
SMR

This recipe is really easy and taste just like a middle eastern restauant! MMM MMM!

Recipes
PUREED LENTIL SOUP - SHAWRBAT `ADAS MAJROOSHA
(Serves from 8 to 10)
Try this hearty soup.

1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
1 small hot pepper, finely chopped
8 cups water
1 cup split lentils, rinsed
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Pinch of saffron
2 Tablespoons white rice, uncooked
1/4 cup lemon juice

Heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onions and hot pepper over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except lemon juice, and bring to boil. Cover and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes. Puree; then return to saucepan and reheat. Stir in lemon juice; then serve.

Total Calories Per Serving: 98
Fat: 2 grams

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#9 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 PM

Sloppy Lentils :

Cook lentils according to the directions (I bring mine to a boil and then let simmer for 50 minutes...we use crimson lentils. I throw in salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and a basil leaf or two for added flavor..it all simmers in so it's not an overwhelming topical taste).
Prepare sloppy joe sauce according to your preference. Spoon in lentils one cup at a time until you achieve desired thickness (we usually do 2-3 cups with one can manwhich).
Spoon over hamburger buns!

Super tasty...we toast our buns in the oven first to melt some cheese on top and it kind of helps the lentils stick to the buns so it's not as messy...but it's sloppy joes..it's messy.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#10 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yum!! Thanks everyone! The recipes sound great, and I can't wait to try them and get them into our regular rotation of meal plans. :

We have been moving towards becoming a vegetarian family. As of now we only eat poultry a few times a week, so I have been looking to add more protein sources to our meals. It sounds like lentils are going to be my new best friend.

Thanks again and keep them coming if you have them.
#11 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 11:41 PM

Sloppy lentils are one of my favorites

I also like this one

Lentils and Spinach

3/4 cup lentils
5 cups water
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
1 can chopped tomatoes
juice of half a lemon (more or less to taste)
1 handful or 2 of baby spinach
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt (more or less to taste)

Directions:

Wash lentils. Place lentils and water in a large saucepan. Bring water to a full boil, then lower the heat to medium and cook, covered, for twenty minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and pepper flakes. Cover the pot, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, cook 1 or 2 minutes more until spinach is just wilted. Add lemon juice. Remove from heat. Serve with rice.
#12 of 19 Old 08-16-2007, 04:52 PM

I like this Lentil Rice and Veggie bake http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lentil-...&ac_action=lgn
pretty sure its vegan

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#13 of 19 Old 08-16-2007, 04:59 PM

I've made this Red Lentil Soup with East Indian Spices from the Mothering mag a few times and I love it! I didn't find it too hot-spicy, but if you prefer more mild flavors, you could skip the cayenne pepper. It was very easy to prepare!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#14 of 19 Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 PM

Well, looks like you have plenty to choose from, but I had to throw my version in too. I grew up eating a sort of Indian style lentil but as an adult found I prefer an Italian style lentil. I don't use a specific recipe, but here is the general gist:

1) Saute some of the following (depending the your mood that day) in olive oil - celery, onion, carrot on med-high heat. (Occasionally I use some fresh ground fennel seed at the tail end of this step.)

2) When veggies are soft, add either chicken stock or water (your preference) and a bag of lentils (or half if you want less soup), some chunked up garlic (they're sweeter this way, otherwise, can saute in first step) and a bay leaf or two (fresh are best, but be more sparing w/them) and bring to a boil, then turn to low and simmer covered until lentils are soft. Throw in a parmesan rind for extra flavor (if you're into that sort of thing).

3) Once lentils are soft throw in a large can of tomatoes (Muir Glen is best) and some fresh basil. Other leafy greens (spinach, escarole, kale) are also delicious.

4) Once all is softened and flavors are blended, remove parmesan rind and serve with balsamic vinegar (nicely age variety is best) to taste.

Mother of two since 2007 and 2009. Hoping third time's a charm in 2012.

#15 of 19 Old 08-21-2007, 12:30 AM

I have 2. I'm a really unconventional cooker, kind of a throw it in there kind of gal.

lentil chipolte soup:

Cook together green lentils, brown basmati rice, kale (deveined and chopped, 1 bunch), about 3 sections of fresh garlic, chipolte sauce to taste (for me about a teaspoon),carrots (chopped REALLY small), celery (chopped REALLY small),and a very tiny bit of curry. Cook it all together at a simmer for about 45 minutes. Yum...... Cook up some cornbread to go with it.

And my lentil casserole:

Cook lentils and brown basmati. Stir in fresh corn, green peppers (chopped REALLY small, personal preference, again), fresh garlic clove, tiny bit of cayenne, and an egg. spread into a baking dish and cover with shredded cheese of your choice. Really yum......
#16 of 19 Old 08-21-2007, 01:19 AM

This stuff is so good I had to go find the recipe, serve it with the lentil soup I posted previously.

Joyce's Cornbread

1 cup self-rising cornmeal 2 eggs
1/4 cup flaxseed meal 1 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
1/4 cup sesame seeds 1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sunflower seeds 1/2 cup creamed corn
1/4 cup poppy seed (it's not a part of her recipe, but I like to add 2TBL-1/4 cup raw sugar)
1tsp sea salt

Mix all dry ingredients. Beat eggs well with fork. Add yogurt, olive oil and creamed corn to eggs and blend well. Mix egg mixture with dry ingredients and blend well. Grease iron skillet (I use metal pan) with about 1/8-1/4 cup Wesson oil (I use olive). Heat oiled skillet in 420degree oven for 4-5 minutes. Pour mixture into hot skillet and bake at 420 for 25-30 minutes.
#17 of 19 Old 08-21-2007, 01:41 AM

Do lentils go good with tahini? Maybe some tahini, some kind of sweet pepper, and some cinnamon? Some garlic or onion for good measure...some oregano... top with feta and sliced olives.

I have only had lentils once, but I liked them. I want to start eating them more often, so thanks for the tips! I have made something similar to the above "recipe" with brown rice and chickpeas... I imagine lentils would work too?
#18 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 06:22 PM

I bumped the other lentil thread, over in the main nutrition and good eating forum. lots of good stuff in there!
#19 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Lentils and Spinach

3/4 cup lentils
5 cups water
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced or pressed
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
1 can chopped tomatoes
juice of half a lemon (more or less to taste)
1 handful or 2 of baby spinach
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt (more or less to taste)

Directions:

Wash lentils. Place lentils and water in a large saucepan. Bring water to a full boil, then lower the heat to medium and cook, covered, for twenty minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in the olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and pepper flakes. Cover the pot, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, cook 1 or 2 minutes more until spinach is just wilted. Add lemon juice. Remove from heat. Serve with rice.
[/QUOTE]

I just made this recipe from GwendalylinsMommy and my DD and DH could not stop raving about it- very, very tasty and easy and cheap and nutritious. I am so excited to make this over and over agian. I omitted the flakes d/t not having any and forgot the lemon juice at first and it was still delicious (oh ya- used kale instead of spinach too) SoSOSOSOSOSOSOS yummy. Thanks GwendalynsMommy!!
Christine

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page