What can I make with chicken, canned diced tomatoes and black beans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're on a tight budget for the month of September and I'm really trying to bring grocery costs down. I shopped today and they had a great sale on boneless breasts (big family pack I'm going to freeze in portions), canned black beans and canned diced tomatoes (the recipe ready kind.) Does anyone have any good meal ideas for me?

Isn't there a food website where you can enter ingredients and search for recipes?

TIA!!!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 08-20-2007, 05:15 PM

Chicken chili? Chicken & Black bean soup? Chicken & Black bean tacos w/ salsa from the canned tomatoes?

You could also use the beans and tomatoes separately in some sort of soup and then use the chicken in a casserole, a pot pie, etc.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#3 of 13 Old 08-20-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post
Isn't there a food website where you can enter ingredients and search for recipes?
allrecipes.com At the top where the search bar is, there is a drop-down for "more searches." Select ingredient search from that menu.
#4 of 13 Old 08-20-2007, 05:54 PM

You could do 2 cups uncooked rice, 4 cups water, 1 can tomatoes (drained), and cut up chicken breasts and add beans,in a pot on the stove for approx 30-45 min.

Single mom of 2 boys
#5 of 13 Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 AM

are you dairy free? if not, my husband likes to mix those ingredients with rice and cheese. i forget what he calls it, but i know it was a ruby tuesday dish at one time.
#6 of 13 Old 08-21-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

No restrictions, we're omnivornes. I like the idea of mixing with rice and cheese. I'm making Mexican chicken soup tonight, so I may wait a few nights before another southwestern themed supper - but these are great ideas!!

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#7 of 13 Old 08-21-2007, 11:38 AM

We like mores y cristianos with black beans. There are many, many recipes out there, but I'll tell you the quick and dirty version we like.

I cook black beans, white rice, and then make a red sauce for the middle of the plate. Brown onion, garlic, and hamburger. Add some sort of tomatoes (sauce, diced, spaghetti sauce, whole, whatever you have). I like to season simply--salt, pepper, crushed red pepper. Maybe some fresh herbs like oregano and thyme. That's it. We like this sauce meatier, rather than more tomatoey, if that makes sense.

Serve with rice on one side, beans on the other, the sauce in the middle. This is really a very simple dish, so simple it's often a weekend lunch dish.
#8 of 13 Old 08-21-2007, 02:03 PM

you've got the fixings for a recipe i love. mix a can of beans, a can of tomatoes, and a can of corn. toss it with a dressing made of 1/4 c. lime juice, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. cumin, and 1/3 c. fresh cilantro.

you could also make enchiladas by mashing the beans, mixing them with shredded chicken and possibly some cheese, then rolling the mixture up in tortillas and putting enchilada sauce over the top.
#9 of 13 Old 08-21-2007, 02:44 PM

What about making a chicken-based tamale pie?? Saw this on America's Test Kitchens last night....

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/r...3785&iSeason=7

Skillet Tamale Pie
from the Episode: Faster Family Favorites

Serves 4

Tamale Filling
2 tablespoons�vegetable oil�
1 medium onion�, minced
2 tablespoons�chili powder�
Salt�
2 medium cloves�garlic�, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1 pound�ground sirloin�(lean)
1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans�, drained and rinsed
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes�, drained
3 ounces�cheddar cheese�, shredded (1 cup)
2 tablespoons�minced fresh cilantro leaves�
Ground black pepper�

Cornbread Topping
3/4 cup�unbleached all-purpose flour�(3 3/4 ounces)
3/4 cup�yellow cornmeal�(3 3/4 ounces)
3 tablespoons�sugar�
3/4 teaspoon�baking powder�
3/4 teaspoon�baking soda�
3/4 teaspoon�salt�
3/4 cup�buttermilk�
1 large egg�
3 tablespoons�unsalted butter�, melted and cooled

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 450 degrees.

2. For the tamale filling: Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

3. Stir in the ground sirloin, beans, and tomatoes, and bring to a simmer, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Stir the cheddar and cilantro into the filling and season with salt and pepper to taste.

4. For the cornbread topping: Meanwhile, whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together. Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until uniform. Stir in the butter until just combined.

5. Dollop the cornbread batter evenly over the filling and spread into an even layer. Bake until the cornbread is cooked through in the center, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve.

I would just use the chicken in place of the ground beef.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#10 of 13 Old 08-21-2007, 05:48 PM

If you take that can of tomatoes and turn it into salsa you could make this... but you'd need a couple more ingredients.

Crockpot Chicken with Blackbeans and Cream Cheese

4-5 boneless chicken breasts
1 (15 1/2 ounce) can blackbeans
1 (15 ounce) can corn
1 (15 ounce) jar salsa, any kind
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

4 servings

1. Take 4-5 frozen, yes, frozen, boneless chicken breasts put into
crock-pot.

2. add 1 can of black beans, drained, 1 jar of salsa, 1 can of corn
drained.

3. Keep in crock-pot on high for about 4-5 hours or until chicken
is cooked.

4. Add 1 package of cream cheese (just throw it on top!) and let
sit for about 1/2 hour.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#11 of 13 Old 08-22-2007, 01:09 AM

One of my made up, fast dinners is whole wheat pasta (whatever kind we have), a can of diced tomatoes and a can of black beans tossed with a little olive oil and cheese....kids and dh love it.
#12 of 13 Old 08-23-2007, 04:32 AM

You could pick up a couple of plantains

For savory plantains you use the **green* ones, the ones that do not look ripe at all. Cut into slices (about 1 inch) and then fry in oil, don't cook all the way, just for a minute or so on each side, remove and then *squish* them, squishing them helps release starches.

Once you squished all the plantains flat fry them in oil again, they'll puff a little tiny bit and when they are nice and yellow remove them, don't brown. Plantains are yummy with sour cream, dd dips hers in ketchup, I eat mine plain, (I am allergic to dairy so no sour cream and ketchup is just depressing when you want sour cream )

They are good with beans and chicken would be good with that as well, but plantains are starchy and kind of heavy, you really don't *need* the chicken so you could save it for something else.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#13 of 13 Old 08-29-2007, 01:59 PM

chicken and tomatoes with some dried rosemary is good...you can put over rice or with bread to catch the sauce. If you have onions or garlic to add it's very good!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page