ISO energy bar recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-31-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im looking for something with a low sugar content. Honey is ok. Maybe Im just looking for a base of some sort that stuff can be added to , like sunflower seed, dried cranberries that sort of stuff.
#2 of 15 Old 08-31-2007, 10:53 PM

I don't have a recipe for you. I did find that when I was trying to make my own granola bars with lots of grains (Ezekiel cereal, nuts and other whole grain cereals) the recipe needed so much honey to hold it together that it was way too sweet. Since then I've just purchased the bars with the lowest sugar and best taste.

I'm interested in a low-sugar granola bar or energy bar recipe too.
#3 of 15 Old 09-01-2007, 03:25 PM

Jess just posted this in another thread--no extra sugar or additives involved:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...2&postcount=12

I also have a granola bar recipe that someone posted here a long time ago, but it does have quite a bit of honey. They were delicious, and were ROCK hard straight from the fridge, so you might be able to back up the honey and keep them cold, and thaw as needed? When I find it, I'll come back and post it.

ETA: Found it!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...70&postcount=3

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#4 of 15 Old 09-04-2007, 03:21 PM

this isn't really an "energy bar" per se but it's my version of s healthy snack bar. i was so sick of buying them! i don't have measuerments because i've just been dumping and adjusting to my personal taste...
handful dates
handful dried cranberries
handful unsweetened coconut
handful raisins
some ground flax or pumpkin seeds
a little bit of almond butter to hold it together
about 1/4 cup warm water

throw it all in your food processor, then spread it in a cookie sheet, refrigerate and cut into bars or chunks. freezes well.
super good for you, lots of iron, protein etc. etc. and it tastes so good.
#5 of 15 Old 09-04-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradomama1 View Post
this isn't really an "energy bar" per se but it's my version of s healthy snack bar. i was so sick of buying them! i don't have measuerments because i've just been dumping and adjusting to my personal taste...
handful dates
handful raisins
about 1/4 cup warm water

throw it all in your food processor, then spread it in a cookie sheet, refrigerate and cut into bars or chunks. freezes well.
Wow!! This sounds delicious!!

How much is 'a little bit of almond butter'? 1/8 cup? 1 tbsp?

Also I don't have a food processor, would it be too stiff a mixture to stir by hand?
#6 of 15 Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydawnsmommy View Post
Wow!! This sounds delicious!!

How much is 'a little bit of almond butter'? 1/8 cup? 1 tbsp?

Also I don't have a food processor, would it be too stiff a mixture to stir by hand?

I would love to know this info as well!!!Thanks!
#7 of 15 Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 PM

it actually depends on how much you're making-i eyeball it, if it seems like it's pretty stiff when you're mixing it then you've got enough. with my handful estimations, i'd say i use about 2 tbs. but then the trick is to add the warm water so it's pliable so that may need to be adjusted as well.
you want about the consistency of cookie dough or a bit stiffer.

you could mix by hand if everything was already chopped, that's the main reason i use the f.p.

these come out like "larabars" and make a great toddler/nursing mama snack that is sooooo good for you. no sugar, no honey-just stuff that is essentail for energy.
they never stay in the fridge for long because dh loves them as much as we do and he's not exactly mr. healthy!

let me know if you have more questions.

another version...just dates and cashews, yum!
#8 of 15 Old 09-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
handful dates
handful raisins
about 1/4 cup warm water

I'm going to try this today with my Vitamix. Then roll into balls and go from there.
#9 of 15 Old 09-06-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
handful dates
handful raisins
about 1/4 cup warm water

:

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#10 of 15 Old 09-06-2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
it actually depends on how much you're making-i eyeball it, if it seems like it's pretty stiff when you're mixing it then you've got enough. with my handful estimations, i'd say i use about 2 tbs. but then the trick is to add the warm water so it's pliable so that may need to be adjusted as well.
you want about the consistency of cookie dough or a bit stiffer.

you could mix by hand if everything was already chopped, that's the main reason i use the f.p.

these come out like "larabars" and make a great toddler/nursing mama snack that is sooooo good for you. no sugar, no honey-just stuff that is essentail for energy.
they never stay in the fridge for long because dh loves them as much as we do and he's not exactly mr. healthy!

let me know if you have more questions.

another version...just dates and cashews, yum!

Thanks for the directions!!! They sound soooo good!
#11 of 15 Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 AM

so glad ya'll love this recipe (it took buying energy bars for years to finally give up and start making my own for waaaaay cheaper) i'll check back to see if you like how it turns out...like i said, go crazy with the variations and use what you have!
#12 of 15 Old 09-09-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
handful dates
handful raisins
about 1/4 cup warm water

I make a ball/bar/stick recipe & use a variety of the aforementioned ingredients, however I add uncooked kasha (roasted buckwheat) to the mix. It makes them very crunchy (though toddler frienddly) & delicious!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#13 of 15 Old 09-11-2007, 06:51 PM

Hi-

I have been making one wiht peanut butter, ground flax seeds, honey, and protein powder (I use Jay Robbs Egg White powder). I sometimes add spirulina. I also have no measurements, but I it mix together and eye ball it for consistency, and roll into balls and roll in cocoa. Very filling! And yummy!

H
#14 of 15 Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 PM

Wow I love this thread! I have tried to think in my head how to make a larabar type thing. I really like your idea of the almond butter and a little water in the food processor. I was always trying to make things containing flour that you bake and they dry out alot

So how do you make them so you can take them along in a bag on an outing? These are keeping in the fridge but sort of "melt" if out too long
#15 of 15 Old 02-22-2008, 12:13 AM

Wow this is an awesome thread! I just got a book called the Raw 50 by Carol Alt. It has a lot of raw yummy recipes as well that you all might like to check out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page