October Pantry Challenge - who's in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-12-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know there are still two weeks left in September, but is anyone interested in doing a Pantry Challenge with me for October? We can use the time between now and then to inventory our groceries and plan our menues.

(I am hosting our annual "Halloween Fright and Feed" Open House, and I need to reserve most of my grocery budget for that, so I plan to feed my family out of my cupboards for the most part for the rest of the month.)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#2 of 26 Old 09-13-2007, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to, but our pantry is empty! I did my own little pantry challenge in the last two weeks of August. I might join you in November!
#3 of 26 Old 09-13-2007, 03:47 PM

Sure, I'm in!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#4 of 26 Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 PM

How do you do this? Like empty your pantry or only use what you have on hand?

I could do the latter, as I am insanely horrible about grocery shopping when I absolutely don't need to. I have an infectious love for buying food

I have a whole lamb, side of beef, chickens and a pantry full of dried/canned goods.

If there was someone who could help me use things up without shopping I would totally be in on it. I keep buying more, and more....and more when I have a house full of food
#5 of 26 Old 09-18-2007, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm in!!

(I just have to go grocery shopping first) :

Seriously though... I just looked in the freezer and the cupboard is bare protein-wise. We're doing a stock-up trip tonight, but that's it for a while.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#6 of 26 Old 09-21-2007, 01:30 AM

I'm in! I really need to save money plus our pantry could use an overhaul. I'll need to take inventory and make up my menu for the month.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#7 of 26 Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 PM

I'm in! What are the 'rules'? Obviously we'll need to buy fresh fruits/veg, milk, bread etc...

Off to inventory...

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#8 of 26 Old 09-21-2007, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I am so glad that I will have company for this challenge!

As far as rules go - that's up to each individual person. Most people allow themselves to buy fresh veggies and fruit, others give themselves a dollar amount that they don't want to exceed.

This time round, I'm going to try to feed my family strictly from my pantry (I'm Mormon, so it shouldn't be that hard! ) I am allowing myself a budget of $100 to purchase whatever I need to make the recipes in my meal plan.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#9 of 26 Old 09-21-2007, 05:45 PM

I need to start now, not Oct! LOL My panty/freezer is full!

#10 of 26 Old 09-21-2007, 08:37 PM

Oh wow, this could relaly help me out if I tried to do this. I spend about $800 a month on groceries. And that does not include raw dairy and the beef we get once a year I'm miserable at planning, and through stuff out all the time.

I plan, cook, and keep cooking even though we have to much to eat and never finish it.

So with a stocked up freezer full of meat, and a full pantry what is a practical route for me? I guess I should start with meal planning for the month
#11 of 26 Old 09-21-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
Oh wow, this could relaly help me out if I tried to do this. I spend about $800 a month on groceries. And that does not include raw dairy and the beef we get once a year I'm miserable at planning, and through stuff out all the time.

I plan, cook, and keep cooking even though we have to much to eat and never finish it.

So with a stocked up freezer full of meat, and a full pantry what is a practical route for me? I guess I should start with meal planning for the month
Start now and take an inventory of everything you have! We can help you plan meals from that too if you need it. But really you need an inventory!

#12 of 26 Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 PM

I haven't even done my full inventory & I have enough meals planned for the next 1 1/2 to 2 weeks depending on leftovers I generally hit the farmers market & Trader Joes every friday. My hope is to be able to avoid the farmers market all together next week (unless I decided to stock up on some more end of summer produce to freeze, I love me some red peppers & zuch: ) & make TJ's a minimal trip....say $30.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#13 of 26 Old 09-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Well I made my pantry inventory today. Now I still need to do the freezers, they are both full (one in the fridge and chest freezer). I have a rough list of what is in them as I add to them for premade things I have done like meals or chicken marinades, but there are lots of veggies and other things I need to use up.
So after that I'll start planning the meals. Everytime I do this I say I'm not stocking up anymore when I find a sale because I end up with too much stuff I never used, and then I always do it again!

#14 of 26 Old 09-28-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Are you ready?

#15 of 26 Old 09-28-2007, 06:44 PM

I am in! To those newbies, not to hijack this but- we started these about 3 years ago and it has helped me a lot!! Basically you can get milk egss, what you need etc that wont stick around otherwise but plan most of your meals from the pantry. The first time I did one, I used stuff that sooo needed to be used up- like a can of consensed milk (mac n cheese in the crock pot), a 1/2 bag of walnuts (made into a awesome cookie recipe on the back of the bag!!) and it also used up some flour and choco chips sitting around, a bean chili, a cous cous meal, it goes on and on.
so I will:
I have 6 cans of crushed tomatoes from an awesome sale so I need to make some sauce. I also have 3 boxes of mannicottis I can make up and then feed the freezer.

use the gnocci and have meatballs

I will buy- lettuce, milk, eggs, veggies (its harvest after all!) and fruit.

So this will use up things in there that just need to get used! We moved a few months back so I did a challenge right before and I now have a mamooth pantry and I have been filling it now for a few weeks. but I have learned over the years with these challenges about stocking up and what we should stock and not stock up.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#16 of 26 Old 09-28-2007, 07:31 PM

So I have a question. I have made my iventory and I have a lot of things I need to use up that have been in there forever. But to use these things up, I'm going to have to buy more things to make dishes with them. For example we have jumbo shells in the pantry. So I need to buy all the things that make whichever stuffed shell recipe I can find. We don't have any of the typical things in the house to make them. But what else can you do with jumbo shells? So is this really worth it to save money by using things out of the pantry? I know for a lot of things yes it certainly is, but I mean specifically for examples like this? Or any suggestions?

#17 of 26 Old 09-28-2007, 07:56 PM

That's when you post your inventory and let the ladies give you advice and ideas!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#18 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 PM

Joining you! I've got a meal plan for the next week but I haven't done a pantry inventory. I figured I'd wait a little while until I clear out a bit!

I will be supplementing with a weekly trip to the farmer's market for produce/chicken/eggs/bread (if I don't have time to make my own) and also milk from elsewhere. Hopefully not much else.

Oh and I may get larger quantities of a couple of things at the farmer's market to put up for the winter. I'm fine with that - I'm doing the challenge to clear out the OLD stuff lingering in the pantry, but I'd still love to can some things now while they are in season to minimize what I buy later.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#19 of 26 Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 AM

I am joining as well. Money is more than tight at the moment : (d*mn all those stupid costumers of DH who aren't paying their bills! : ) and the extra money the government has given us during DS's first year of life stopped as of monday (DS first birthday).

There are lots of things in the freezer (leftover pasta, veggie soup, rice+meatballs, pasta sauce, veggies, chicken carcasses, fishsticks, etc.), enough in the fridge as well as the pantry and we aren't short on fresh fruit and vegetables - luckily I went to the farmers market this past saturday.

Regarding the meals I have to cook each day - breakfast ist oatmeal for me, yogurt+granola for DD and DS. DD takes a sandwich and some fruit with her to kindergartenfor the snack break and is having lunch at her kindergarten daily so it's just me and my self-feeding toddler (he is the most' difficult part of the challenge ). Dinner is most of the time some kind of (vegetable) soup and a sandwich.

Things that will be okay to buy during the challenge are all fresh goods - milk, yogurt, cheese, butter, bread, fruits and veggies and chocolate for me :
#20 of 26 Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 AM

I'm in. We are really trying to save money and we have TONS of food in our house so this sounds like a good idea. Take-out food is a big problem for me. I LOVE ordering in. I really did a good job of cutting back last month so I think this will the another step in the right direction. I hope to do an inventory sometime this weekend. I will allow myself fresh produce, milk, eggs etc and it is Thanksgiving here this weekend and my Mom is coming so I will be buying a Turkey. As far as the other stuff for the Thanksgiving meal I have most of that already.
#21 of 26 Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 PM

How's everyone doing?

So far so good. I'm keeping shopping down to 1x/week. I go with a strict list and triple check it before I leave the house.

#22 of 26 Old 10-10-2007, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I need to work my way through what is in my freezer! I have a feeling that if I were to pull out all of the bits I save for making stock and made several batches of stock, my freezer wouldn't be so packed and then I would be able to make yummy soups until next spring
#23 of 26 Old 10-10-2007, 12:49 PM

I really need to do this because my pantry is bursting at the seams!

I have a few containers of Gerber baby food purees that my toddler no longer eats. How can I incorporate them into recipes? (We have a lot of prunes and other fruit purees).

Hannah
#24 of 26 Old 10-10-2007, 07:35 PM

I'm joining in a bit late. I have lots of grains and beans in my pantry that I'd like to use up. We have a large amount of meat and fish in our freezer, but it has to be rationed out as it needs to last us probably 6+ months.

I'll be still getting my weekly CSA share, farm eggs and any extra in-season veggies/fruits that are available (for eating fresh, canning or freezing). I'm doing this challenge to use up the beans and grains and to save money this month towards a large bulk order with Azure Standard. I'd really like to get the older beans and grains used up before the new bulk orders show up. I'm allowing myself $50 for the rest of the month for any necessities, not including the bulk order or my extra veggies/fruits from the CSA.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#25 of 26 Old 10-20-2007, 08:14 PM

I thought I'd check in and see how everyone is doing.

Not so hot here - I've actually managed to grow my pantry a little I stopped at a discount grocery that I rarely go to and they had great deals on a few things that I use often.....soo......

Also we ended up getting take out twice. Once because DD and I were really sick and I was so tired I didn't even care about food - but DH did Then on Thursday night Dh turned his nose up at my meal planned for the evening and wanted take out so I said 'fine' and just made that for lunch the next day (it was just burgers, so no big deal).

On the bright side, other than that I've been using up leftovers pretty well and doing my meal planning. I really need to get some things used up in the freezer especially though because I have a turkey coming in a few weeks and there is NO room in there!

So, getting back on track now! How about everyone else?

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#26 of 26 Old 10-21-2007, 09:58 PM

Doing pretty good without eating out. I haven't been doing very well in the shopping dept though. Over $120 each week for the last 2 weeks. The fridge and cupboards were getting bare so I bought some staples. I've been trying some new recipies so I put a few items on the list that I needed for those. Maybe that was my problem. I'm waiting for November!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page