freezeing bread/dough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-25-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wanting to start doing a lot of baking on my days off and freezing what I bake. Is it better to bake things like bread/rolls then freeze it, or to freeze the dough for later baking? What stage do I freeze the dough at? Can I make large batches of pizza dough and pie crust and freeze individual portions? Should I freeze these pre-rolled, or in balls? How would I thaw them?

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#2 of 21 Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 PM

:
#3 of 21 Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 PM

I really don't think it's ever worth freezing dough. Baked up loaves/rolls freeze and thaw *really* well! I always make 4 loaves and freeze/thaw as needed.

With the time it takes to maek the dough, you are really better off finishing the whole process. Frozen bread dough just doesn't turn out as good
#4 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 AM

So, do you think that one should make pizza for example and fully cook it with all the toppings and thaw it when needed rather than freezing the dough itself?

I was just coming to ask this question so I hope it fits here.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#5 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM

I half bake my pizza shells, then freeze. Usually just a couple extra small ones fo rthe kids for lunch or something. Then take out, thaw, and top and bake half the time
#6 of 21 Old 09-26-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

What about pie crust?

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#7 of 21 Old 09-27-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Nobody has frozen pie crust?

#8 of 21 Old 09-28-2007, 03:24 PM

I don't ever freeze them because i don't make them often enough, but you can just freeze the dough in the pan without cooking it first.
#9 of 21 Old 10-07-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
I really don't think it's ever worth freezing dough. Baked up loaves/rolls freeze and thaw *really* well! I always make 4 loaves and freeze/thaw as needed.

With the time it takes to maek the dough, you are really better off finishing the whole process. Frozen bread dough just doesn't turn out as good
:

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#10 of 21 Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 AM

i'll be the odd one out because i love to freeze dough (and i have a tiny oven that would take hours to bake my whole recipe!!) :-)

when i bake bread (every 2-3 weeks) i completely bake two loaves of bread, we eat one and freeze one, then with the rest of the dough i make one pan of whole grain cinn rolls, a pan of dinner rolls, and use the rest for italian sesame breadsticks or something like that. other than the two loaves, i freeze everything else after it has completely risen. to freeze the breadsticks or separate rolls, i place on a baking sheet in teh oven till hard, then transfer to a bag/container in teh freezer and that way i can just take out however many i need. to bake rolls in a pan (like cinn rolls or something IN the pan) from the freezer i take them out and let the pan of them defrost, then bake normally. separate rolls or breadsticks i take straight from the freezer and bake from frozen. i LOVE being able to pop something from the freezer into the oven and have the aroma and freshness as part of the meal without having done the work of it that day.

i freeze unbaked pie crust in the pan and use from frozen or half bake before filling it, depending on the recipe
#11 of 21 Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 AM

So when you say you freeze them until hard, you don't mean fully cooked, right, just until they are firm on the outside? How much do you readjust the cooking time once you do that, when you are ready to cook them straight from the freezer?
#12 of 21 Old 10-16-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Nobody has frozen pie crust?
I freeze my pie crust raw. I ball up the dough, put it in a bag and throw it in the freezer.

I freeze pizza dough the same way...it turns out great.

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

#13 of 21 Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 PM

I've frozen pie crust too...I just haven't thawed it yet. I was apprehensive of how to proceed. Maybe I'll jsut take it out and try a pot pie. Does anyone make sourdough?

Wife to one cowboy and Mama to seven wonder kids.
#14 of 21 Old 10-17-2007, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyelani View Post
So when you say you freeze them until hard, you don't mean fully cooked, right, just until they are firm on the outside? How much do you readjust the cooking time once you do that, when you are ready to cook them straight from the freezer?
for breadsticks/individual rolls i don't cook them at all, just put them on a baking sheet in the freezer after they have risen. i put them on the sheet to keep them flat while freezing, then i can transfer them to a bag without them becoming a big glob. then i bake small things like breadsticks or individual rolls from frozen for about 20 mins.
#15 of 21 Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM

what a great idea! then I can take out exactly how many rolls I want instead of having extra. Awesome! I'm going to be busy today...
#16 of 21 Old 10-17-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyluvr View Post
when i bake bread (every 2-3 weeks) i completely bake two loaves of bread, we eat one and freeze one, then with the rest of the dough i make one pan of whole grain cinn rolls, a pan of dinner rolls, and use the rest for italian sesame breadsticks or something like that.
I'd love to see your recipes! I aspire to do this, but end up doing little bits of baking all the time.
#17 of 21 Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 AM

here's my recipe, based on recipe from urbanhomemaker.com it's a two stage recipe where you soak the flour to maximize the nutrients and minimize the phytic acid stuff.

Mix together:
5 1/3 c of water/plain yogurt/kefir (has to have at least 1/3 c of the yogurt or kefir, can be more)
10-13c wheat flour (I use freshly ground wheat flour...not sure what store bought would be like)
2/3 c. oil
2/3 c. honey
5t salt.

Let it soak 12-24 hr, covered with clean towel.

After soaking proof together (unless using instand yeast, then you don't have to proof, and can use less yeast):
1/2c warm water
3 T yeast
2t honey
1t baking soda.

Combine the soaked mixture and yeast mixture, adding 4-7c more flour and or other grains (oats, wheat germ, ground up nuts, seeds, etc.). knead for about 5-10 mins till it's 'right' and will be a little sticky (better a little sticky than dry). Let it rise in teh bowl till doubled (about 1.5 hr), punch down then put in pans or shape and let rise 1-1.5 hr more. Bake at 190C (I think that's 375F) for 30-35 mins.

Now for the variations. FOr this recipe, i usually get two normal size loaves, a 11x7 pan of cinn rolls, a round pan of dinner rolls (or 12-18 individual), and 1-2 dozen breadsticks. After the first rising, divide the dough into 4-5 portions depending on what you want to make:

Wholegrain cinnamon rolls
--Roll out the dough into a rectangle shape, spread with butter, then put on a mixture of sugar, cinnamon, ground walnuts or almonds. Roll up the rectangel and slice into rolls, put in buttered pan. let rise in the pan and then either bake, refridgerate, or freeze

Breadsticks:
Make a mixture like this: parm cheese, minced garlicoregano, basil, sesame seeds, coarse salt, up to you!
Make small balls of dough and knead in the mixture. Form into short ropes and put on greased pan to bake or freeze. Bake 15-20 mins.

Bread:
you can just make plain or some yummy variations are:
adding garlic and rosemary and baking round loave
walnuts and dates
jalepenos and cheddar
ENJOY!
#18 of 21 Old 10-18-2007, 06:15 AM

babyluvr thank you for the great recipies.
Now I don't suppose you could post over some spare time at all
#19 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 08:11 AM

Babyluvr,
Thank you for the recipes! I'm not sure I have a bowl that big, but might try to give it a go next week. It sure sounds good and the kids LOVE breadsticks.
#20 of 21 Old 10-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Thanks so much. I just finished making some dough & wasn't sure what to do next. now i have a few loaves, some rolls & breadsticks in the freezer. Can't wait to see how they come out!
#21 of 21 Old 10-24-2007, 07:26 PM

Wow, that sounds like a great idea - making bread dough every few weeks.

I have frozen pizza dough, rolled out but uncooked, before, but I like the idea of partially cooking it first.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page