Peanut butter. Lots and lots of peanut butter. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-07-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Through various means of acquisition, I now have 8 jars of peanut butter. I need ideas to use it - I've got cookies and fudge and brownies (oh my!) so far, any other ideas?
#2 of 22 Old 10-07-2007, 04:43 PM

Make peanut sauce and freeze it to use for fast easy dinners? It's good on everything...veggies, pasta, tofu, chicken...
#3 of 22 Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 PM

Peanut butter crispy treats (rice crispy treats with peanut butter added)- or granola bars- most granola bars take peanut butter. Peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches LOL. Puppy chow (it is addicting and not the least bit healthy- crispix cereal, peanut butter and chocolate, then dusted with powdered sugar- I used chocolate raspberry chips and wow!)

Brenda
#4 of 22 Old 10-08-2007, 08:56 AM

Oh, WOW! I LOVE peanut butter! (We're a peanut free household, though d/t severe allergies.) Make sure you have scoop of peanut butter on a spoon for me. Yum! *drooling* I MISS peanut butter!!!!

Check out allrecipes.com for some great ideas.

I used to make chicken dishes often with peanut butter as one of the ingredients - here are some quick recipes that look a lot like ones I've done in the past:

Peanut Butter Chicken

"Chicken breast cubes are simmered with onions and mushrooms in a rich peanut butter sauce. This recipe is delicious served over your choice of rice or noodles."

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 7 fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces, and cook until chicken starts to turn white. Add the onion, mushrooms, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
  2. Pour the tomatoes and chicken stock into the skillet, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in peanut butter, and cook stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. This should only take a minute or two. If the sauce is not thickening, you may stir in more peanut butter.
Peanut Butter Vegetable Chicken Soup

INGREDIENTS
  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups diced, cooked chicken meat
  • 1 cup peeled and cubed potatoes
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 cup diced zucchini
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a large stock pot, combine the broth, chicken, potatoes, and carrots. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook for about 10 minutes, till vegetables are tender.
  2. Add zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Simmer for about 8 minutes.
  3. Add peanut butter, parsley, salt, and pepper; stir until peanut butter is fully blended. Simmer for 3 minutes longer.
#5 of 22 Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 AM

forgot to mention - the soup recipe turns out GREAT! in the crockpot - just put all the ingredients in there - raw chicken is ok in this case, and just cook on low all day. I would throw in a couple handfuls of uncooked rice, though - my dh doesn't like 'soupy' soups, so the rice thickens up and makes less broth. .. .

YUM!
#6 of 22 Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 AM

Wouldn't it stay good if you just ate pb sandwiches? Or do you not like pb sandwiches?

Single mom of 2 boys
#7 of 22 Old 10-08-2007, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this, though for me it was mustard. I just kept buying mustard every week or two for a few months, each time forgetting that I had some in the cupboard!

I just had my oatmeal with peanut butter and it was very good that way. The Jif peanut butter company runs a peanut butter sandwich contest:

http://www.jif.com/promos/contest/default.asp

If you scroll down, you can see the winning recipes. Some have meat, so if you are a vegetarian, those won't work, but many don't. (And if you are an omnivore, figuring out a way to use peanut butter with meat might be good!)

Peanut noodles are another good use for the peanut butter. You can find a lot of recipes online and in cookbooks for sesame noodles with peanut butter, or just use a peanut sauce recipe. I searched on epicurious for you and found this one, as a sample idea:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101974

You could also make gado-gado (Indonesian vegetables with peanut sauce) found a sample recipe here:

http://www.globalgourmet.com/destina.../gadogado.html

Or African or southern U.S. style peanut soup--oops, looks like someone posted a tested recipe for that.

With eight jars of peanut butter, you probably want to store some in the fridge.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#8 of 22 Old 10-09-2007, 04:42 PM

Oatmeal/honey/PB squares
VERY addicting and great for nursing moms, I would eat them like crazy untill DD started reating to PB - now where PB free and I miss PB as well - nuts where a fave of mine.

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup shredded coconut(unsweetend)
1/2 cup honey
1 cup PB
1 cup raisins

Mix all together and press into a glass pan - refrigerate overnight then cut into 1 inch squares. Freeze these as they tend to go stale fast and are crumbly at room temp but frozen they are delish.
#9 of 22 Old 10-09-2007, 05:11 PM

What a great thread! I *Love* peanut butter, too!
I don't have the recipe, but my MIL makes an AWESOME peanut butter pie. You might find it on one of the recipe websites mentioned above.
Also, DH likes to eat PB on his waffles and pancakes along with the syrup. You could try that, if you haven't already.

Sarah , Wife to DH , Mommy to DS 01/07 , DD 04/09 , and Due 04/11
#10 of 22 Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When WIC gave us more PB than we could possibly eat in sandwiches, we used some for sandwiches and the rest in cookies. A batch of PB cookies (1 18oz jar peanut butter, 2 cups sugar, 2 eggs, chocolate chips optional) made about 4 dozen cookies and lasted us about half a week.

We never needed to make Thai peanut sauce or anything else- we ate enough cookies!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#11 of 22 Old 10-10-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
When WIC gave us more PB than we could possibly eat in sandwiches, we used some for sandwiches and the rest in cookies. A batch of PB cookies (1 18oz jar peanut butter, 2 cups sugar, 2 eggs, chocolate chips optional) made about 4 dozen cookies and lasted us about half a week.

We never needed to make Thai peanut sauce or anything else- we ate enough cookies!
I make PB cookies just like that. We only make them one dozen at a time... to avoid too much temptation. (Of course, this backfires when I find myself making them every day.)

1 cup PB
1 cup sugar or splenda if so inclined
1 egg
a bit of vanilla extract

Mix all together in a bowl. Drop by tablespoonfulls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. (My method at least...or just used an ungreased cookie sheet). Flatten blobs of dough with a fork dipped in water. Bake for 8 minutes or so at 350 degrees. Yummy!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#12 of 22 Old 10-10-2007, 01:46 PM

I think your daughter may be too young for this... but you can always make peanut butter playdough. (peanut butter, nonfat dry milk, and a bit of honey)

You could also try these no bake cookies http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Bake...II/Detail.aspx

My friend Alicia makes a peanut butter-based pizza sauce for her thai pizza. Here's a recipe from All Recipes http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thai-Ch...za/Detail.aspx For a sauce, try this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Gourmet...za/Detail.aspx

Here's a recipe for peanut noodles http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Noodles/Detail.aspx

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#13 of 22 Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 PM

I put two bananas, 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 1 tbsp each of ground flax seeds and wheat germ, a handful of ice, and 1/4 cup of rice milk in the blender and it makes a delicious smoothie that keeps me full for a loooong time.

Or....

Toast with tahini, peanut butter, and raisins.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#14 of 22 Old 10-11-2007, 09:48 PM

If you have dogs that you love, you could use some to make doggy treats, we did this with some expired peanut butter.

Stella:SAHM to Toby(12/14/04) and Cedar(8/17/08)::::
#15 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 AM

I love peanut butter stews. I don't follow any recipe with mine. I just add a big spoon of peanut butter to the pot. Usually its goat or beef that has been cooked with garlic, onions, and crushed tomatoes (we love it saucy!).
#16 of 22 Old 10-16-2007, 02:02 PM

Omgosh, i'm subbing to this thread! we NEVER have too much peanut butter b/c dh eats it every day! dd won't eat sandwiches so i wanted to make some cookies- yum!
#17 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 03:16 PM

Subbing.

I now have two jarss of pb and no idea what to do with them as I'm sick of sandwiches right now.
#18 of 22 Old 10-17-2007, 03:17 PM

You could wait until the holidays and then make buckeyes for gifts. People love buckeyes.
#19 of 22 Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

umsami, you are just what I need in my kitchen! Come live with me?

So many great ideas! I didn't even think about doggie treats - my Milo would love it, and I have many people on my christmas list with doggies that would appreciate homemade treats.

You ladies are simply fantastic!

I found a peanut butter cake on allrecipes.com and made peanut butter frosting and that used almost 2 whole cans...and man, it was good! The recipe was for a rectangular pan, but I used 2 round ones, iced between them and iced all around. It was super moist and delicious! The recipe is bookmarked on my other computer, but I searched for the ingredient search and used "peanut butter" (duh) and no white sugar.

We're having a dessert party on Halloween for all the grandparents/greatgrandparents/aunts/uncles so we don't have to drive poor dd around to show everyone her costume, and I was going to make peanut butter cut out cookies in the shape of leaves (Target dollar aisle has leaf cookie cutters), so that should knock out some more...
#20 of 22 Old 10-19-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
You could wait until the holidays and then make buckeyes for gifts. People love buckeyes.
Ooooohhh, I love buckeyes!

This is a great thread. That peanut butter soup is totally going into my plan!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#21 of 22 Old 10-19-2007, 05:05 PM

All of the peanut sauce/peanut soup recipes are great...my husband can't get enough of those.

We also eat peanut butter on apples, carrots, celery, etc. It's great on a sweet apple--sort of like a caramel apple, only good for you.
#22 of 22 Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I make peanut butter balls with peanut butter, optional cream cheese, ground coconut (similar to coconut flour, but a bit coarser), honey. Sometimes sunflower seeds, etc. You can roll them in more ground coconut or coconut flour, or in ground nuts. Also, peanut sauce with coconut milk is great used as a dip the next day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page