Turkey leftovers!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-08-2007, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everybody, We just finished Thanksgiving here in Canada and I have a ton of turkey leftover. Does anyone have some good recipes to use up all this meat?? Anything, yummy soups, stews, pies ect!
#2 of 10 Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 AM

Last year I made a big pot pie with some of my leftover turkey. I just used my recipe for a chicken pot pie. Not sure if I have it typed out....I'll check and edit it in. If i don't have it saved already, I'll type it out tomorrow It takes a bit of prep time, but you can do it in stages and it is really good!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#3 of 10 Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 PM

use it in anything that calls for chicken. we like chili, enchiladas, tacos, soup, pot pie, king ranch casserole, turkey and rice casserole, turkey divine (brocolli cheese and rice casserole w/ turkey)
#4 of 10 Old 10-11-2007, 08:59 PM

nak
Turkey pie:

use leftover stuffing/dressing as crust. pour a little leftover gravy on stuffing. Layer with turkey and whatever vegis you have leftover. We love using sweet pots and corn, carrots. layer until desired height. If wanted spread with cranberry sauce. Use mash pots (again leftover) as top crust and spread over top sealing to edges. Serve with rest of leftover gravy and again leftover rolls if any. Bake 350 for 30 mins or until hot through.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#5 of 10 Old 10-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Turkey pie:

use leftover stuffing/dressing as crust. pour a little leftover gravy on stuffing. Layer with turkey and whatever vegis you have leftover. We love using sweet pots and corn, carrots. layer until desired height. If wanted spread with cranberry sauce. Use mash pots (again leftover) as top crust and spread over top sealing to edges. Serve with rest of leftover gravy and again leftover rolls if any. Bake 350 for 30 mins or until hot through.
This sounds delish! I never thought of using stuffing as the crust. I always have too much stuffing, even after all the other leftovers are gone. Thanks for the idea!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#6 of 10 Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 PM

okay, i am sorry but i have to say it-

the ONLY way to use leftover turkey is in a thanksgiving sandwich! mayo, cranberry sauce, stuffing and turkey, with lots of salt and pepper. this is the BEST sandwich ever. way better than the original thanksgiving dinner.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#7 of 10 Old 10-16-2007, 11:17 AM

My favorite leftover turkey recipe is cooked meat curry. Make a curry sauce from curry powder, onions, and canned tomatoes (or fresh). Cube up cooked turkey and let stew on low for a while. It's great in the slow cooker! You can also add leftover apples (fry with onions) and cranberry sauce (add when stewing). If you are unfamiliar with curries you can get a spice mix (like Mr. Patak's) and just prepare as directed but add the meat after you make the sauce.

You can make samosas from leftover mashed potatoes - fry with onions and curry powder - add almost any other veggies you want peas and carrots are great. Spoon into pastry or cresent rolls and bake as directed for the pastry.

We do this every Thanksgiving and Christmas at our house! I look forward to it as much as the holiday meals! You can also freeze the curry for quick meals later on !
#8 of 10 Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademomma View Post
okay, i am sorry but i have to say it-

the ONLY way to use leftover turkey is in a thanksgiving sandwich! mayo, cranberry sauce, stuffing and turkey, with lots of salt and pepper. this is the BEST sandwich ever. way better than the original thanksgiving dinner.
This is my sandwich of choice too! Definitely with the cranberry sauce and stuffing

The only reason I cook a turkey is for the leftovers...

Paula Deen had a yummy looking recipe for a turkey pie... Gobble Cobbler Pie http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._35996,00.html

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#9 of 10 Old 10-16-2007, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
We just fnished up our leftover-Thanksgiving-turkey soup today. I put the broken up carcass along with some garlic, carots and celery in the crockpot (biggest size) overnight one night to make broth. I chilled it the next day, skimmed off the fat, and then put it back in the crockpot along with leftover turkey, sliced carrots, celery, potates and squash. I let it slow cook through the day and then added some egg noodles and frozen peas for the last little bit.
#10 of 10 Old 10-18-2007, 05:54 AM

I was going to suggst soup too -boil the carcass with a pinch of sea salt so that any remaining scraps of meat, sort of fall off. Remove the carcass and all the broth to cool so you can skin of the fat add the turkey meat, some onion and grated potato, simmer slowly so that the onion and potato cook fully and pop in the blender.
But actually Shantimama recipie sounds much nicer and I love the idea (I think some else posted it) of adding a couple of slices of apples in which which been friedn with onions.
If there's any of the soup left I freeze it in individual portions so I can take it out the night before to deforst ready to bring to work with me the next day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page