What are Your FAV 2-for-1 Meals (Leftovers)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-12-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HellO!

I was reading in one of the other MP threads about planing your meal plan with leftovers in mind. I don't have a CLUE about that! I try...and fail!

So, what are YOUR favorite 2-for-1 meals/ingrediants?

THanks!

Mrs Bernstein
#2 of 12 Old 10-12-2007, 05:22 PM

I don't do this a ton, but some of the ones we always do are to cook a spiral ham, then use what's left for sandwiches, ham and potato soup, ham and cheese omelettes. Or if I cook a roast, we'll have roast one night and french dips another. And there's always some left for sandwiches. Same with a turkey or a chicken. I'd cook a whole bird, then have soup, a casserole, chicken/turkey pot pie, wraps.

Those are my standby's. Good luck!
#3 of 12 Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 PM

There's the classic "rubber chicken" where you roast a chicken that you can serve with the side dishes of your choice on day 1, then on day two you can make something like chicken enchiladas or chicken sandwiches with the leftovers, then day 3 you make chicken soup.
#4 of 12 Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 PM

Chili is a good one. Chili one night, then chili dogs or chili on baked potatoes the 2nd night. Then Tamale Pie the 3rd night.
I also make spaghetti sauce for pasta the first night and use it as pizza sauce the 2nd night sometimes.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#5 of 12 Old 10-12-2007, 07:59 PM

Roast a chicken, next day something with chicken meat...pasta dish, whatever. Then the next day I make soup. usually cream of roasted veggie soup. That's more like 3 for one. I get my bucks worth out of a chicken!
#6 of 12 Old 10-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I make a pork loin roast. Then I eat half of it for dinner and lunches, and take the other half and make pork loin stew. Oh, my, goodness. It's my favorite stew! Mmmmmm.

I make turkey. Then turkey pot pie, hot turkey sandwiches, cold turkey sandwiches for lunches, and then turkey rice soup.

Pot roast. Shredded beef tacos or enchiladas. Roast beef sandwiches. Beef pot pie or shepherd's pie. Beef noodle or beef barley soup.

Ham. Western Omelettes. Ham sandwiches. Soup with the hambone, some kind of bean or pea (mmmmm...split pea and ham soup...). Country ham with eggs over medium and toast. Mmmmmm...mac'n' cheese with ham.

It goes on and on...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#7 of 12 Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
I make a pork loin roast. Then I eat half of it for dinner and lunches, and take the other half and make pork loin stew. Oh, my, goodness. It's my favorite stew! Mmmmmm.
Do you have a recipe for pork loin stew? I'm going to make a pork roast this week, and I've never made a pork stew...I'm also trying to be more cognizant of using up leftovers, 2-for-1 meals, etc.

We make extra roast chicken for dinner one night, and make chicken salad with it the next day. Or we make a big batch of chili, eat some with biscuits for dinner. Then, either freeze portions, or serve with jacket (baked) potatoes another night. But, that's about the extent of my 2-for-1 ideas, LOL!
#8 of 12 Old 11-05-2007, 06:28 PM

Chicken- I roast 2 whole chickens one night- of course we have chicken with sides that day. The next day, I normally make chicken soup- very large batch. THen the next day I make chicken pot pie from the soup. Then another night I make spinach artichoke dip- and add chicken to make it a meal in one.
#9 of 12 Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 PM

I have another minute- so I thought I would add a few more ideas.

If I am making a roast- making an extra large one leaves me left overs for steak quesedillas or meat salad (grind up the left over beef add mayo and relish) or use the left over meat, add veggies and make a soup.

Left over turkey- I will often cook turkey and I know we won't eat the whole thing- planning to make turkey enchiladas (flour tortilla, cream cheese, turkey, cheddar cheese, roll and put enchilada sauce over), turkey pot pie, turkey broccoli rice casserole- or my hubbies favorite turkey zucchini stuffing casserole (lefotver turkey added to a casserole that consists of about 6 c shredded zucchini, 1 cup onion, 1 cup carrots, can of cream of soup, cup of sour cream sandwhiched between 1 box of stuffing mix/ mixed 1/2 cup butter)

You can also plan to make the cheesey potato casserole (hashbrowns, can of cream of, some sour cream and some cheddar cheese)- with added meat and veggie- I like this with ham and broccoli- so I plan extra ham to add to it.

I plan extra mash potatoes so I can make potato pancakes or potato eggs as we call them- mashed potato mixed with some eggs- add a little extra milk if you like- chopped onion is good in it too- stire well and fry.

I now try to plan extra spinach artichoke dip to put in crescent rolls and then bake- but extra spin dip at my house doesn't happen easily LOL.

Extra pork roast at my house almost always becomes BBQ pork sandwhiches.

Brenda
#10 of 12 Old 11-10-2007, 04:12 AM

Whole birds are always good...expecially if you don't go heavy on their flavoring so they can be used for other things. We're not crazy about dark meat so I typically cook up a few breasts with salt/pepper/garlic powder and then keep them in the fridge. I did it this week and it looked like this...

Sunday Dinner: Chicken in lime and tequila
Monday Lunch for DP: the lime chicken in a wrap
Monday Dinner: A seasoned breast cut up and simmered in curry sauce with potatoes, and peas served over rice.
Tuesday Lunch: Curry chicken and rice
Tuesday Dinner: non chicken entrée but with a starter of chicken Caesar salad
Wednesday lunch: no chicken (amazing!)
Wednesday Dinner: I got the chicken to just heated through and the slathered them with bbq sauce. Grilled till the sauce got nice and thick.
Thursday lunch BBQ chicken

And then we were FINALLY out of chicken!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#11 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 08:22 PM

I usually cube and freeze half of the leftover ham/chicken/turkey and make soup with the rest. The frozen cubed meat is for quiche, turkey/chicken pot pie, lentils or split pea soup, etc.

CPST & mom

#12 of 12 Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page