Dairy Free AND Soy Free? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible I need some breakfast and lunch ideas. We keep the boys 100% soy free. I'd like to stay as dairy free as possible. This is a tall order for a SAD member : I'm stuck on cereal and pb&j! Oh, and my 7yr old won't eat any vegetable at all. I've tried tons of standard and creative parenting techniques about this, but he has ODD and cannot be made to do anything : Thanks!

Full Time Mom to 3 boys and 1 girl.
: : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-16-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittingfor4 View Post
Is it possible I need some breakfast and lunch ideas. We keep the boys 100% soy free. I'd like to stay as dairy free as possible. This is a tall order for a SAD member : I'm stuck on cereal and pb&j! Oh, and my 7yr old won't eat any vegetable at all. I've tried tons of standard and creative parenting techniques about this, but he has ODD and cannot be made to do anything : Thanks!
What about goats milk? This is dairy and soy free and can be used in cooking and poured on cereal. This is what my family drinks and its not bad at all (I actually like it better than cows milk). Also, I have seen in several natural food stores that they sell chips, canned foods, and bread without dairy or soy ingredients in them.

Jessie
(single mommy to Emma, 4 years and Angela, 2 years)
#3 of 7 Old 10-17-2007, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Goat's milk can be an issue for kids who are truely allergic to cow's milk, as it is very close in protein structure. My kids are allergic to: Wheat/wheat gluten, soy, cow's milk, eggs, nuts, and the list goes on from there.

We eat:

Toast. Rice bread, sunflower seed butter, and jelly, jam, or apple butter (home made, so no high fructose corn syrup)
or Wheat bread (for dd), sunflower seed butter, and honey

Hot cereal. For ds, there are some mixed grain cereals out there. We add real maple syrup, or dried fruit, cinnamon (he gets one shake, I get one shake), nutmeg, etc. Whatever he's in the mood for. We use rice milk in our house, and, though I usually personally feel like rice milk tastes like library paste, it's actually preferable to cow's milk for me, in hot cereal.

or Dd eats oatmeal or steel cut oats or cream of wheat. Same toppings, usually as above, with rice milk always.

Puffins are a HUGE hit in our house. They are a corn cereal kind of like quaker corn squares. They are quite yummy. THey also make a honey rice version that dd loves.

Gorrila munch is good. LIke kix, but only ONLY corn and, um, quite a bit more sugar.

Fruit, fruit, and more fruit. We eat fruit like crazy in our house. Pineapple, oranges, apples, grapes.

Ice, fruit, and juice smoothies. They go crazy for them. Like a "shake" that they can actually drink.

Mmmmmmm...we make pancakes or some other kind of breakfast once a week for dinner, then save a few days worth for them for breakfasts, as well. I have a GREAT recipe that uses ener*G egg replacer, smart balance, and rice milk and is quite edible, even for regular milk people. I now use garfava flour, too, since we've found out that ds is allergic to wheat/gluten.

I know there's more...

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 7 Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh, and lunch:

There is a product called Mac'N'Chreeze that my kids absolutely love. We use smart balance (lite) and rice milk in it. Even non-allergic people will eat it. It rocks.

We eat a lot of homemade soups leftover from dinner.

We eat lunchmeat sandwiches and meat sandwiches left over from roasts earlier in the week. Whole Foods sells (rather expensively) both organic and dairy/wheat/soy/nitrate/nitrite free meats at their counter. Kroger's store brand (private selection) is free of all additives as well, and contains only meat and water. I toast their bread, put smart balance on it, lettuce, tomato if it's in season, and they go to town.

We eat salads (my kids are a little freakish that way...), carrot sticks and hummus...

Hummus can be eaten LOTS of ways, with lots of dippers.

Crackers and lunchmeat or hummus.

What else do we eat for lunch...? I'm sure we eat more than this, but this is what I can think of off of the top of my head.

Oh, baked potatoes. They love those.

Tacos. Pita sandwiches that they build (ds can't unless we use a corn tortilla, and they're not the best with sandwhich stuff...)

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#5 of 7 Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

WOW! I'm so in envy of your kid's food repitiore! They really eat all those things? Mine gripe about every tiny change. They don't even like oatmeal!!! I'm going to get busy experimenting with things. I don't even know what half that stuff is to be honest LOL, DH and I are still totally SAD!

No one's allergic to anything btw. I just heard that humans loose the enzyme to digest milk around 6yrs, and it was only meant for human milk anyway. And with his behavior problems I think he's supposed to stay away from dairy. I take dairy to mean any animal milk product, isn't that right.

Can homemade waffles/pancakes be frozen and then go in the toaster like the packaged ones? We don't have a microwave anymore - read bad things! Does real maple syrup give the same results as sugar, or does it digest slower? Sorry for all the questions

Full Time Mom to 3 boys and 1 girl.
: : :
#6 of 7 Old 10-17-2007, 01:13 PM

I love almond milk. It's easy to make yourself (some store-bought brands contain soy) and I think it tastes better on cereal than cow's milk. I use it in cooking sometimes too. To make: soak almonds overnight, blend with water (I do about 3 parts water to one part almonds), strain out the pulp, add in a sweetener if desired (I use a little agave nectar.) You can make other nut milks this way too. I use it for cooking sometimes and it works okay in the recipes I've tried.
#7 of 7 Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittingfor4 View Post
Can homemade waffles/pancakes be frozen and then go in the toaster like the packaged ones? We don't have a microwave anymore - read bad things! Does real maple syrup give the same results as sugar, or does it digest slower? Sorry for all the questions
Absolutely! Whenever I make pancakes, I freeze the leftovers...and then just pop them in the toaster a day or two later for a fast, yummy breakfast. One of these days I'm going to be organized enough to freeze whole bunch... but I fear that day is a long way off.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page