What do you buy in bulk/from the food co-op? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're looking at joining a buying club/food co-op (United Natural Foods, to be exact). The price list is a bit overwhelming!

Our goal is to save money on healthy food. I'm thinking we'll buy mostly the bulk foods, not the convenience sort of stuff like frozen pizzas or breakfast bars. We mainly eat whole foods and cook/bake from scratch at home.

What are your best buys? Coffee looks like a good deal...

(x-posted in Frugality/Finances)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 01:12 AM

i'm sooo happy i found this! i'm going through and making my list now! we've been buying through them since early this year. we've bought TONS of stuff! we've found that the bulk is a great deal and frozen and refrigerated is a wash. we bought a huge parmesan cheese brick and it was moldy i have been stocking up on dry goods..flour, beans, sucanat...etc. oh, we love the herbs also...you have to try the garlic pepper from simply organic...it's yummy! i buy nut butters by the case or i bulk and use those for a few months. we LOVE green mountain gringo chips and they also have yummy blue corn taco shells you have to try. i always buy a new shampoo or soap to try. i sit down with a highlighter and a cup of coffee and go through the whole catalog and cross off what i want...i'm kind of rambling here..
Old 10-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Well, our co-op is a walk-in store, so it's a little different. They have a fantastic bulk section though. I buy dried beans and rice. Oatmeal, whole wheat pastry flour, unbleached flour, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, nuts, sea salt, turbinado sugar, nutritional yeast, dried fruits and trail mixes, chocolate chips, etc. It's all organic too! So much cheaper than the store. Actually, most of the things I listed are cheaper than the conventional types at the store. By a lot! The exception would be the nuts.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:01 PM

we have a coop also. united food buying clubs is different. our co-op marks up everything 2-3x what it is through united food buying clubs.

User Tag List