rice pudding recipe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2007, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
heres the catch: NO BAKING!! so none of the custard style, neither of us like it, lol! but i cant find either recipe i used to use for stove top. its milk, rice, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla, i think. i dont remember if theres egg or not. i just know, no slow cooker or oven time.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 AM

I made some rice pudding this morning but I don't have an exact recipe, and it was yummy! I just used left over brown rice, sauted it a bit in coconut oil to get some good fats in, and then whisked together some milk and egg and vanilla, and poured it over the rice and stirred while it cooked. It thickened up really well and I added cinnamon and chopped apples and chopped almonds! Yum! I'm eating sugar free right now so no sugar, but it would be delicious with honey, or maple syrup, or sugar in it! Yum!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 AM

1 cup of rice. We use brown Jasmine.
9 cups of milk

Simmer till thickened
add sugar and vanilla to your taste.

Eat hot or cold

Very easy
Old 10-23-2007, 02:54 AM

Well, its probably not what you're looking for, but one of my favorite rice pudding recipes is also very simple, with no baking. Cook as much rice as needed, add cinnamon, mix in enough whole milk vanilla yogurt to make pudding consistency. You can do it with hot or cold rice and its absolutely delicious!

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 PM

i have an easy, but alot of stirring one from nigella's book if you want it.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesuperiormom View Post
i have an easy, but alot of stirring one from nigella's book if you want it.

could you please share it? i love nigella!! pretty please!!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:04 AM

Here's the one I use and love. You can skip making the rice bit if you already have some. I don't add raisins... because I don't like them.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-...ng/Detail.aspx

It has 813 reviews and is rated 4-1/2 stars...so I'm not the only one who likes it. Sometimes I don't add the egg or the butter, and it tastes just fine to me.

If the PP doesn't post the Nigella receipe for you, I will. If it's the one I'm thinking about, she uses aborio rice... which I don't usually keep on hand.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 10-25-2007, 02:59 PM

I love nigella!! It sounds yummy!

Mom of 8 children 4 Boys : and 4 girls :2 dogs named Kibblez and Brook , sadly miss my Husband that passed 03/03/2007 !Trully Miss my Brother Joey that passed on 3/25/09..Sadly miss my dearest son T.J that passed 1/19/2014 forever in my heart!
Old 10-25-2007, 03:20 PM

These are from "How to Eat"...

Rice Pudding
3 T unsweetened butter, melted
4 T medium or long-grained rice
2 T vanilla sugar or superfine sugar
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract if not using vanilla sugar
whole nutmeg

Preheat oven to 300F. Use 1/2 melted butter to grease a 4-5 cup ovenproof dish. Put the rice in the dish, the sugar over it... and then add the milk and vanilla. Put the melted butter on top. Grate nutmeg on top. Bake it in the oven for 2-1/2 hours... stirring after the first 1/2 hour and first hour.

Risotto Inspired Rice Pudding
3 cups milk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or 2 T vanilla sugar
1 heaping T unsalted butter
2 T superfine sugar if not using vanilla sugar
1/4 cup arborio rice
2-3 T heavy cream...or butter

Either nuke the milk for 4 minutes in the microwae in a wide-topped plastic measuring cup...or... heat it until it's just about to boil. Turn off the heat. Add vanilla extract if using. Melt the butter and 1 T of the plain or vanilla sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. "When hissing away in a glorious pale caramelly pool, add the rice and stir to coat stickily." Slowly add the milk...about 1/2 cup at a time... while stirring constantly. Let each 1/2 cup get absorbed before you add the next 1/2 cup. (Think of risotto making.) Should take between 20-35 minutes... start tasting it at around 20 minutes...and see if the rice is cooked. If it is, don't add more milk. When the rice feels thick and creamy, take it off the heat and add the sugar and as much cream as you'd like. If you don't have any cream in the house, add a glob of butter. Serves 1

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 10-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Banned

MMM.....

I made couscous pudding for breakfast.

We had couscous with sundried tomatoes and onions and garlic in it last night with dinner.

So when breakfast time turns around, that pot found itself right back on the stove, with a river of vanilla soy milk, a palmfull of wheat germ, a liberal dousing of honey, an explosion of golden raisins, and a dusting of sesame seeds.

mmm-mmm-good.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We love this recipe...it even works with rice milk, for the kids...I just cook a bit longer than they say to with rice milk, as it takes a tiny bit longer to thicken up.

But it's even better as the real thing. I think I'm off to make myself some rice pudding!

From the New Best Recipes:

Simple Stovetop Rice Pudding
We prefer pudding made from medium grain rice, but long grain works, too.

2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup medium grain rice
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 1/2 cups half-and-half
2/3 cup (4 2/3 ounces) sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract

1. Bring the water to a boil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan (at least three quarts). Stir in the salt and rice; cover and simmer over low heat, stirring once or twice, until the water is almost fully absorbed, 15-20 minutes.

2. Add the milk, half-and-half, and sugar. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, uncovered and stirring frequently, until the mixture starts to thicken, about 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook, stirring every couple of minutes to prevent sticking and scorching, until a spoon is just able to stand up in the pudding, about 15 minutes longer.

3. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Cool and serve at room temp or chilled. (To store, press plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)

---Variations:

Rice Pudding with Orange and Toasted Almonds

Follow the recipe above, adding 1/3 cup slivered almonds toasted until just golden and fragrant in a small, heavy skillet over medium heat (4 to 5 minutes, with frequent stirring) and 2 teaspoons grated orange zest along with the vanilla extract in step 3.

Rice Pudding with Cinnamon and Dried Fruit

Follow above recipe, adding 1/2 cup dried fruit (such as raisins, cranberries, cherries, or chopped prunes or apricots) and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon along with vanilla extract in step 3.

Mmmmm.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:02 PM

I want to try ALL of these! LOL Craving some rice pudding now...

User Tag List