day care lunch menu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-02-2007, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello

My daycare is trying to revamp their menu to more child friendly foods. Any ideas?
#2 of 9 Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 AM

It might help to know what you mean by child friendly. I think your question is a little broad because I'm not sure how to answer!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#3 of 9 Old 11-05-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Our day care tends to make a lot of mixed stuff, which pre-school age kids are usually leary of, such as shepherds pie. So I am trying to help get a better menu for them. They have six menus that they rotate, so it should be easy right, well not so much for them unfortunately. The director has asked me to help.

I gave her the recipe block that had baked pasta in it and I hope to see that go into effect. They do like meat loaf.

I give my kids lots of turkey and I tend to keep it simple at home, such as a piece of meat, vegies, and some carb, or my kids also like chilli cheese rice (chilli, rice and cheese).

With my kids weight gain is an issue since both are in the 10%, and daughter has always had weight gain issues that were more serious than son's.
#4 of 9 Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM

Oh OK now I see what you mean. It might be good if they found like 15 or so meals that the kids enjoyed and rotated through them as long as they were healthy and balanced. Here are a few ideas, maybe some are already in use but these are just ideas.
- Healthy spaghetti (you could even put turkey in there instead of beef if you do meat sauce), possibly with green beans and fruit on the side
- Homemade fish or chicken nuggets. We like to have baked parmesan fries with this
- Pita or english muffin pizzas, my toddler loves these and its easy to sneak veggies into the sauce
- Rice bowls, like you mentioned with chili and cheese, but there may be other combinations as well that would work. My DS will eat most anything with rice mixed in even soups he normally wouldn't try, etc.
- Ham slices with side veggies and/or fruit. easy and cheap
- Tacos, again DS loves these

Is this what you are looking for or no? I probably could find some more by looking over our past menus if you want.

#5 of 9 Old 11-06-2007, 01:27 PM

My kids just love when I send in leftover spinach risotto. I'm not sure if that's too complicated for your school to make.

I'm not sure what your kitchen situation is (my daycare only has a microwave), but another big hit are mini quiches (the kind you get as an appetizer) with steamed broccoli.

Also any kind of nuggets with sauce that they can dip. You would be amazed how many kids will eat soy nuggets or spinach nuggets if they could dip them.
#6 of 9 Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

I have loaned the director the super baby food book, and sent her the link to the food and families page.

Could I have the recipe for the nuggets posted? The parmessan fries sound good as well. If not I am sure she and they can find something from what I sent.
#7 of 9 Old 11-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Homemade Chicken or Fish Nuggets

This was originally used for fish but I have also used it for chicken nuggets the same way, I just cook them a little longer:

2 or 3 Tilapia filets (depending on size, it feeds 3 of us, do more if you have a bigger family 1 or a little less per person)
1 egg
about 1/2 c milk
about 1/3 c parmesan cheese (grated)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
about 1 cup bread crumbs

Preheat over to 400. Cut the fish up into bite size pieces. Put the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and parm into a ziploc bag. Mix the egg and the milk in a good sized bowl and add the fish nuggets to the bowl. Take the the nuggets out of the milk/egg mixture a few at a time and drop into the bag. Shake around until well coated and then place on baking sheet (you can grease it but I usually just line with foil). Do this until they are all coated and bake about 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your nuggets. They are good!

Baked French Fries II
SUBMITTED BY: Fred Hoffman - From AllRecipes.com

Original recipe yield:
4 servings

PREP TIME 20 Min
COOK TIME 25 Min
READY IN 45 Min

INGREDIENTS
3 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
cooking spray
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking sheet.
Arrange potato strips in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, skin sides down. Spray lightly with cooking spray, and sprinkle with basil, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.

#8 of 9 Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 PM

agreeing with the PP that mentioned meatloaf is an easy way to sneak in veggies (carrots, spinach, kale, etc. can be added to the mix). Ditto meatballs. Meatballs can be made in advance and freeze well, if that's a consideration for the daycare. The nice thing there is they can be served w/ pasta, on a roll, with a side like mac and cheese or rice, or just served plain.

Sweet potato fries go over well here. We just cut sweet potatoes into fry shapes, toss w/ a little oil, season w/ some garlic, and bake in the oven.

Cooked broccoli w/ parmesan to dip in is a toddler friendly side IMO.

eta: have you seen this site? It is vegan, but could be de-veganized and simplified since some of the ideas are very time intensive. It is a good springboard for me when I feel like DS's lunches, etc. have gotten boring, kwim? Check the archives for old posts, as since the cookbook came out, she's no longer actively blogging
http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/20...1_archive.html
#9 of 9 Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 PM

I used to work in a daycare. Here are some of the favorite meals I remember:

Tuna patties - I know, you wouldn't think they'd like it. But the kids couldn't get enough! Especially if you top it with ketchup smilies! I think they served it with steamed brocolli (we called them trees) and some sort of fruit.

Meatballs with rice and gravy - Brown gravy over plain rice and meat balls. They loved it! I think these were served with steamed carrots and bananas.

Soup and Sandwich Day - They loved dipping their sandwiches in soup. I think it was PB&J with veggie soup, grilled cheese with tomato soup and ham and cheese with potato soup. You wouldn't think that jelly would go well with veggie broth, but they loved it.

Now I wish I had some ground beef or turkey so I could make meatballs with rice and gravy! lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page