Need Food Storage Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-04-2007, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I would like to buy flours, sugar, other dry ingredients in bulk. I have been looking and looking for buckets to store the food. (This has been much harder than I expected!)

I want to store the food in my garage, and want to avoid getting any bugs. I don't want to beg for pickle buckets or spend $250 per bucket. I am thinking about these : http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...duct%5Fid=9715

Do those look okay? Is there something better? A safer plastic or something? How many of these buckets do you think I will need per 25 or 50 lb bag of flour.

Help! I am bucket overwhelmed! :
#2 of 8 Old 11-06-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone??? :
#3 of 8 Old 11-06-2007, 02:01 PM

My sister buys all her grains for baking bread in large quantities like that. She stores them in large 5 gallon buckets in the basement and hasn't had any problems. Her basement is a bit damp/musty. Can't you buy empty 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot, Lowe's or even a rest. supply store? You could save on shipping.
#4 of 8 Old 11-06-2007, 02:07 PM

I just called my sister and she said she can fit about 40-45 pounds in a 5 gallon bucket.
#5 of 8 Old 11-06-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekortering View Post
I just called my sister and she said she can fit about 40-45 pounds in a 5 gallon bucket.

Cool! That really helps!

I guess my question would be - the buckets at someplace like Home Depot aren't going to be food safe right???
#6 of 8 Old 11-06-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beka1977 View Post
Cool! That really helps!

I guess my question would be - the buckets at someplace like Home Depot aren't going to be food safe right???
I think a 5 gallon bucket is a 5 gallon bucket. Someone feel free to correct me. Do you have a local bakery in your area? You could ask them if you could have their empty 5 gallon buckets. I think frosting and filling comes in them.
#7 of 8 Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM

There is a difference between a Home Depot bucket and a food safe bucket. Especially for storing, I would try the food safe route. You might try checking for a resturant supply store in your area. I also think calling a bakery for a used frosting buckets is a good idea. A friend of mine did that. They we're free but she had to wash out the old frosting.

B.
Mama to : July '06
#8 of 8 Old 11-07-2007, 02:27 PM

You can check the plastic number on the bottom of the bucket - I bought some from the farm supply store that were food safe.

Also, for ease of use, you might want to look into getting some gamma seals. They make opening/closing so much easier. Not sure who has the best price, but this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=266012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page