what to do with all these greens??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-24-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a friend of mine is on vacation and gave me her farm basket that she gets every week from a local organic farm. there's so many greens... kale, chard.. etc. i add them to things occasionally, but i never use this much in a week. how can i use it up before it goes bad?? recipes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Kale and Collards keep for a long time in the fridge. I bought five pounds of kale a few weeks ago and I still have some left that looks good. I suspect the chard won't last as long, so I would use that first. Also, greens freeze well, so you could chop them, cook them lightly, and freeze them in whatever size portions you are likely to use. I find freezing greens in pint canning jars works well for me.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#3 of 5 Old 11-25-2007, 04:30 AM

my favorite treatment of any kind of greens is to saute lightly in a bit of olive oil with a clove of garlic, add a cup of stock (chicken or veg), and maybe a pinch of red pepper flakes.

I also like quiche and italian wedding soup with just about any kind of greens, though kale is what I normally use.

if you have escarole int here you could make beans and greens soup
#4 of 5 Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM

I have huge amounts of energy when I eat lots of greens. I eat about a pound a day, and just saute in butter/EVOO add a little garlic and a tiny splash of soy sauce.
#5 of 5 Old 11-28-2007, 06:41 PM

Colcannon- creamed kale

4 med large potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
2c chicken or veg stock
1 head dark curly kale, trimmed of tough stems and chopped
2 T butter
3/4 c milk
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1 t ground thyme
2 scallions sliced
handful of flat leaf parsley
salt & pepper to taste

boil potatoes 15 min in salted water. drain, return to pot and mash. Simmer kale in broth for 10 to 12 minutes.
In large skillet over med heat, melt butter and add milk. season with nutmeg an thyme and add scallions. With slotted spoon, transfer kale from broth to milk. to this pot add mashed potatoes and stir 2 or 3 minutes or until nice and creamy, yet thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page