Healthy and cheap menus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have recently gotton into a slump when it comes to eating. Going from being veg head only to eating meat, fast food, boxed food and a bunch of other junk. I am desperate to get back on the healthy eating bandwagon. My husband doesnt want to be a vegetarian, so im looking for cheap healthy food menus. Like the kinds that plan your week for you. We have 3 kids, 5, 3, and 1. I dont want to have to think about all the planning part. I have enough going on. Surely there are some good websites out there though I am having problems finding them. We are on a budget of 100 dollars a week. I live in Kansas so certain fruits and stuff go up during the winters. I am tired of eating junk and feeding it to my husband and kids. I know I talk way too much and sorry if this is all a repeat, im busy so I didnt really look hard through the posts to see if someone else had posted anything.

Recap, looking for websites that will plan my healthy cheap meals out for me for a family of 5 with 100.00 to spare a week. Thanks so much you guys.
#2 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 03:54 AM

Are you looking for a menu mailer or a free website?

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#3 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

I figured you guys would be loaded with websites. I do want them to be free. I must have been confusing in my post, I do that a lot. I am just wanting some free websites kinda like hilbilly housewife but with healthy food. I would even consider vegetarian. And it needs to feed 4 to 6. Hope this helps, thanks
#4 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 PM

Everybody goes through a slump - don't be hard on yourself.

I like the recipes at lhj.com (Ladies' Home Journal) *BUT* avoid the articles!

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
#5 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Go to allrecipes.com and type in healthy and I'm sure they can hook you up. I get a lot of good recipes from this and it is free. Also try cooks.com.
#6 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 04:59 PM

how about www.menus4moms.com ? Not everything on there is what I would consider healthy but you could make substitutions and use that as a guide. It provides a weekly menu and shopping lists.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#7 of 9 Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
how about www.menus4moms.com ? Not everything on there is what I would consider healthy but you could make substitutions and use that as a guide. It provides a weekly menu and shopping lists.
thanks for the link!!
#8 of 9 Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
I am actually part of that group. My husband and I have decided to go ahead and be vegetarian so now we are looking for family strong vegetarian. I always find recipes that my kids hate and I wish they didnt use so much tofu and other meat substitues.
#9 of 9 Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 PM

You can find some free sample menus at www.savingdinner.com. All menus are made my a nutritionist, so they are healthy. It's been awhile since I've used the menu-mailer, so I don't remember how expensive it was per week. But it'd give you something to start with, at least...

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page