What was your first post partum meal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm curious what your forst post partum meal was? Why did you pick that?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#2 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Turkey sandwich!

Uh, because its what the hospital gave me.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM

A chocolate pudding cup! And I thought it was the most delicious food I'd ever eaten. Chosen because that's what the nurse offered me at 4am.

I think friends brought us dinner when we got home with our first baby from the hospital. But I don't remember what it was.

With the second baby, also in the hospital, I know I must have had breakfast as my first meal, but I don't remember it. Someone, I think my FIL, brought me a nice coffee from Starbucks. I did send DH out for a hamburger from Chili's (it was closest to the hospital) for lunch/dinner. That burger was divine! When we got home with baby #2 a friend brought us dinner also. I'm pretty sure it was one of those box meals you add some chicken to. Having just had a baby, though, I thought it tasted delicious!
#4 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 12:59 PM

In the hospital, with my first it was scrambled eggs and toast. I was so hungry by then, I'd have eaten the tray it came on.

With my second, it was a panini from Johnny Carino's that my hubby went out to get. It was so good!

I don't remember the first thing we had when I got home.
#5 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 02:27 PM

The mw's assistant made pb&j, b/c I wanted to have something but I wanted it to be easy for her.

We were low on food anyways, so she would've had to cook eggs or something. I had fed the freezer, but DH left the door open one day and spoiled EVERYTHING......argh.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#6 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM

turkey sandwich. turkey, american cheese on plain dry white bread. the hospital gave one to both dh and me. we couldn't stop talking about how good it was--we were both starving. i was glad they brought one for dh. i was planning to split mine with him--but i devoured every last crumb.
#7 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 02:54 PM

Cups (like 4) of beef broth because that is the only thing the hosiptal would give me after an unplanned C-section. I had grand plans of taking my own food but that didn't work out. Even though it had only been a few hours since I had breakfast, that broth tasted, at the time, like the best thing on earth.

After that, my first real meal was take-out from a rather nice restaurant that was owned by a friend of my dad's that happened to be located right by the hospital. Husband went down and picked up a mountain of food for the entire family (filets, homemade desserts, appetizers) and we ended up with a real feast in my room. He provided the plates, linens and cultery too. The nurses didn't know what to think.

Our first home meal was provided by our dear neighbors who brought it into the kitchen, set everything up and left without bothering us. It was lasanga, an awsome salad filled with fresh herbs and a bottle of red wine. Honest to goodness, I can remember the taste of that salad right now.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#8 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 02:57 PM

A pizza with extra cheese, pepperoni, green peppers and mushrooms...with a coke.

Umm, it just sounded good. :
#9 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 06:30 PM

after my first birth I had 3 scrambled eggs, slowly cooked so they were soft and flavorful and not overdone. With sea salt on top. I forget if I had toast too or not. Dh made it for me because it was quick protein and I needed protein after the 30 hour labor. Last thing I ate before the action got to heavy was a black bean and rice burrito and it didn't last very long (as in my body used it up quickly).

After my second, I had the chicken soup dh cooked me while I was in labor> I was extremely exhausted and hungry all through transition and pushing. I have never been that tired in all my life (after ds was born). And ravenously hungry. By the time he finished, I was starting to push and wanted him in the birth pool with me. I had two or three bowls of chicken soup, and then they brought me a platter with almonds, pears, grapes, almond butter (maybe it was peanut), and I forget what else. I gobbled it up and my jaw hurt afterward from chewing the raw almonds up. I remember having to wake dh up at least twice at night to get me more food, I was that hungry!!!
#10 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 07:38 PM

not counting hospital food... SUSHI!!!!!!
#11 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 08:57 PM

I don't count the hospital meals, they stunk. My first meal at home
Cream of tomato soup w/ rice, the best i ever had!
Left over lasagne, left over friend chicken, left over buttered noodles... after ds#2
#12 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 PM

Coffee and a Sausage Egg and Cheese from Dunkin Donuts:

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#13 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_monkey View Post
not counting hospital food... SUSHI!!!!!!

I waited through my whole pregnancy for sushi!!! It was all I wanted for breakfast lunch and dinner for 10 months!

When early labor started, I decided "what harm can it do now" and ate myself a whole bait shop!!!

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#14 of 81 Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 PM

Applesauce
then a grilled cheese sandwich with ketchup.
it was the best tasting thing in the world!

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#15 of 81 Old 11-29-2007, 10:02 PM

with number #1 I had him in the hospital, I think they brought me some spaghetti, but my first real meal was spicy crawfish that I had dh buy me from the fancy pants restaurant up the road.

number #2 was at home. I had toast and emergen C all through labor and had her at 8:30 pm, so I wasn't too starved and got to sleep about 1am. When I got up though I was starving, I had about 3 cups of orange juice, 4 or 5 farm fresh eggs, 4 pieces of bacon and 2-3 pieces of toast.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#16 of 81 Old 11-29-2007, 10:08 PM

I can't remember what I had after dd's birth in the hospital. I hadn't eaten in almost 24 hrs and was STARVING. I think it might have been a tiny turkey sandwich on white bread and applesauce. I just remember thinking it was gross and still being hungry.

After ds's birth my mom tried to give me the homemade enchiladas she had made during my labor. I didn't really feel hungry because I was so excited and the labor was so fast. My MW insisted I had to eat something so my mom made some scrambled eggs and toast. I think I may ask for that after this baby too, it was really filling, easy to eat and like comfort food.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#17 of 81 Old 11-30-2007, 04:56 PM

I can't remember what I had after DS or DD #1 were born. After the twins were born 5 weeks ago, it was 3:30AM and I was given a few graham crackers until breakfast (7AM) and I had a bagel w/ cream cheese, cream of wheat, orange juice, hot chocolate, and fruit. I was STARVING.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#18 of 81 Old 11-30-2007, 07:59 PM

At the hospital I had dh go and get me a veggie burger with avocado and some fries.
I came home on Thanksgiving, and my mom brought over dinner for us. It was great! Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cornbread with honey butter, stuffing, green beans, carrots, and cranberry sauce. Oh, and a nice glass of red.

Mama to 3:
#19 of 81 Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 PM

Our first meal was an adventure. We transferred to the hospital and ds was born at 2 AM. After a long and crazy labor I was starving so dh left to go pick up some food...but it was the night after Thanksgiving and everything was CLOSED! Even the 24 hour joints. So our nurse got a turkey dinner Lean Cuisine from the vending machine and heated it up for us to share. It was horrible so we just went to bed. Thank goodness they brought a huge pancake breakfast a few hours later!!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#20 of 81 Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 PM

Baby #1- 2 roast beef sandwiches from Arby's. I was starving, so I ate both DH and my sandwich

Baby #2- toast and tea for breakfast

Baby #3- cold pizza for breakfast

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#21 of 81 Old 12-03-2007, 06:16 PM

My mom always makes my favorite dinner for me to have immediately after giving birth. The birth center where I go requires you to eat before you leave but they don't provide food. They have a complete kitchen, though, so it's easy to do. She makes me turkey croquettes with rice and cream sauce. I always devour at least 2 whole plates full!

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#22 of 81 Old 12-03-2007, 06:24 PM

#1 - turkey sub & a Pepsi from Subway
#2 - turkey sandwich & a Coke from Wendy's
#3 - chicken quesadilla & a Dr. Pepper from Taco Bell

I tried to pick the healthiest item from whatever fast food place the family was going to after the birth. And the sodas were must-haves--I CRAVED soda during labor all three times.
#23 of 81 Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 PM

Chips and gaucomole. Yeah, I count that as a meal. Thanks, MIL!!!

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

#24 of 81 Old 12-08-2007, 10:47 PM

I can't remember what my first meal at home was.
But in the hospital, about an hour after DD was born, I was BEGGING for food - I had gone 25 hours without food! So they brought me a disgusting turkey sandwich and I ate every bite of it.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#25 of 81 Old 12-09-2007, 09:47 AM

Jack Daniels and some smokes.

OK, seriously - First one was breakfast...DS was born around 1am and I was exhausted...26 hour active labor and too tired to eat. I had DH bring me a Dunkin Donuts sausage/egg/sesame bagel and some donuts. It was reeeeeally good, Fyrestorm is right!!

Second time I had DD late afternoon and was I beat. Shorter labor, but very intense. By the time my mom and DH went home (to be with DS, I made him) it was night time. A nurse really insisted I eat (she was so sweet, and concerned.) She made me a simple buttered bagel at the nurses station. I thought I wasn't hungry and it turned out to be one of the best things I ever tasted!

The hospital birth center I went to had 24 hour room service (and great pizza!) so the options were good.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#26 of 81 Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM

I had yucky hospital food. But when I got home, dh went out and got a huge Greek dinner for me. Mmmmm I was in heaven. I remember eating tons of food and then snuggling in bed with the new baby
#27 of 81 Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 AM

crackers, peanut butter and gatorade. It was in the hospital while DD and DH were in the nursery while DD was getting her bath. It was the best thing ever. I was so weak and shaky I could barely eat them. I must of ate the whole box. I still call that particular brand of crackers "birth crackers".

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
#28 of 81 Old 12-11-2007, 12:19 AM

8 popsicles, 3 cokes and two ginger ales. I was a transfer and they had no food for me. I ate all of that sugar and garbage while my hisband ran to stop and shop to buy some quality organic food.:

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#29 of 81 Old 12-11-2007, 04:55 PM

I don't remember what I ate after mine-- except the last one, which was in the hospital and I ordered a chicken sandwich and soup- it was gross.

I was at a birth recently though that the gal made Jok before hand-- I thought it was great! It was white rice already cooked, and then cooked again w/ chicken broth until it made kind of a creamy oatmeal type texture-- she put in some pieces of chicken and then some torn lettuce (I don't remember the type-- but it was a greener verity) right before eating it. Rice and Chicken is great for picking up the energy.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#30 of 81 Old 12-13-2007, 04:29 PM

Placenta stir fry and a large ice cold glass of Cafferys ( a dark irish beer)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page