What is your favorite meal to prepare? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-15-2007, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious what everyone loves to prepare & eat of course.
My fav is cream of tomato soup, everyone loves it in the family, it makes the house smell wonderful. TAstes great on a cold winter day. REminds me of being a kid in my grandmother's home.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 12-15-2007, 03:09 PM

This is one of the best meals I have ever had. It is messy to make and not very healthy, but the taste is absolutley out of this world. I usually make it every 6 weeks or so and DW is so appreciative! I usually double the artichokes because we love them so much!

I make a big batch and usually give a yogurt container full to my neighbor. Seriously, anyone who has ever tried it asks for the recipe or, more commonly, a container full after I make it! :
#3 of 22 Old 12-15-2007, 03:23 PM

Mine is Skillet Chicken Pot Pie, the recipe is on my blog. It's YUMMY, great to use up ingredients in the fridge, and lasts a couple days.

Do you have a recipe for the cream of tomato soup? It sounds good! And the Lemon Chicken looks great! I am going to try it.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#4 of 22 Old 12-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihelinka View Post
My fav is cream of tomato soup, everyone loves it in the family, it makes the house smell wonderful. TAstes great on a cold winter day. REminds me of being a kid in my grandmother's home.:
Mmmm! Recipe??
#5 of 22 Old 12-18-2007, 07:08 PM

I love to cook, and at this time of year, hearty meals are the best... chili, spicy pumpkin soup, pumpkin moussaka, tomato soup, corn chowder, chestnut soup... :

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#6 of 22 Old 12-18-2007, 08:55 PM

MMM I love soup too. My favorites are roated veggie and cream of tomato.

For roasted veggie I take a big sweet potato, a butternut squash, a couple pounds of parsnips and carrots, cut to large chunks and roast in olive oil and a bunch of salt and pepper and roast at 425 for about half and hour depending on size of chunks. Puree and then put in a pot, adding enough chicken broth to make a good soup. Often I add a splash of heavy cream. For veg*n you could do veggie broth or even apple juice or a combo! I actually use the same roasted veggie puree for many things, and little DD eats it with a spoon like mashed potatoes. It really is the best thing to eat this time of year. You can vary with anything you have. Sometimes I don't have as much of something so I sub more of another. Really good homemade broth helps too.

With this my favorite thing to serve are paninis. Turkey and havarti the kids love. Or tomato, fresh mozzarella and pesto. Or just cheese. And we dip the sandwihces in our soup MMmmmm I'm getting hungry now
#7 of 22 Old 12-20-2007, 01:39 PM

Oh there are so many-- I like my tuna bake... and I made some chicken chili roll ups that are so tasty! Homemade pizza, bierrocks... mmmm
Most of my favorites have bread in them.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#8 of 22 Old 12-20-2007, 07:00 PM

Chicken pot pie - I love making it from scratch and eating it too!

Single mom of 2 boys
#9 of 22 Old 12-20-2007, 07:04 PM

Chicken Pot Pie from scratch
Ham and Bean soup
Chicken Noodle soup
Homemade bread

I love something that requires all day so you can just sit at home and relax while cooking.
#10 of 22 Old 12-21-2007, 01:44 AM

Now that it's winter and I can bake without dying (since it gets 120 here in the summer) I'm way on this kick:

*Roasted whole chicken (with butter, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, fresh thyme...put pressed garlic under skin and rub marinade all over chicken)
*Roasted butternut squash with raw honey and butter
*Micro-greens salad (available at Trader Joe's) with herbed goat cheese and sliced red onions (dressing: olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, basil)

Very easy and little prep, just takes a couple hours to roast think chicken so I only have time to do this on Saturday nights. Yum I want some now.

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

#11 of 22 Old 12-29-2007, 02:00 PM

I love to cook soups in cooler weather.

My favorites would be
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Potato with ham soup
Minestrone

As far as other meals:
Crock Pot roast with root veggies
Pressure cooker pork loin
3 bean Turkey chili
Slow cooked (on the stove top) homemade spaghetti sauce

Dawn
#12 of 22 Old 01-06-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post
MMM I love soup too. My favorites are roated veggie and cream of tomato.

For roasted veggie I take a big sweet potato, a butternut squash, a couple pounds of parsnips and carrots, cut to large chunks and roast in olive oil and a bunch of salt and pepper and roast at 425 for about half and hour depending on size of chunks. Puree and then put in a pot, adding enough chicken broth to make a good soup. Often I add a splash of heavy cream. For veg*n you could do veggie broth or even apple juice or a combo! I actually use the same roasted veggie puree for many things, and little DD eats it with a spoon like mashed potatoes. It really is the best thing to eat this time of year. You can vary with anything you have. Sometimes I don't have as much of something so I sub more of another. Really good homemade broth helps too.

With this my favorite thing to serve are paninis. Turkey and havarti the kids love. Or tomato, fresh mozzarella and pesto. Or just cheese. And we dip the sandwihces in our soup MMmmmm I'm getting hungry now
mmmmmmmmmmmm, me too, that sounds so yummy!!!!

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#13 of 22 Old 01-06-2008, 11:32 PM

I love pasta dishes that is the ultimate comfort food for me. i love to just kind of create a sauce as i go. some canned tomatoes, spices, maybe some cheese, finely diced veggies like carrots and zucchini. finish adding at 10 am and have it simmer all day. i make a ton because i 'taste' it all day long
#14 of 22 Old 01-07-2008, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Lasagna, especially spinach lasagna.
#15 of 22 Old 01-07-2008, 03:08 AM

My favorite meal to prepare, or my favorite meal to eat? LOL

My favorite meal to prepare is anything involving leftovers, the crock pot, or spaghetti. My favorite things to eat are lasagna, spinach and cheese casserole, chicken fried steak, homemade chicken soup... etc. Fatty, time consuming things.
#16 of 22 Old 01-07-2008, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd View Post
spinach and cheese casserole
I must have this recipe please.
#17 of 22 Old 01-08-2008, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican...er/Detail.aspx

This is one of our favorite winter soup recipes!
#18 of 22 Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Chicken Soup with Wild Rice - I make this any time more than half the family is sick

Shepherd's Pie

Macaroni & Cheese

anything in the crockpot, I love to smell it cooking all day

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#19 of 22 Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 PM

lasagna! It was my favourite when I was growing up and my mom made it, and is still a favourite to this day.
#20 of 22 Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 PM

Not a meal, but my favorite food to prepare is bread. It allows unlimited creativity while providing a bit of exercise to the baker. Each batch turns out different, so it is always exciting. Homemade bread is appreciated by all who eat it. it freezes beautifully and makes a wonderful gift. And best of all bread is cheap to prepare using simple ingredients that are usually on hand.
#21 of 22 Old 01-10-2008, 01:20 AM

Here is that spinach and cheese casserole recipe. It's not really good for you, except for the spinach. It's so yummy, though.

2 10 oz. pkgs. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 cups small curd cottage cheese
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups american cheese (!) I use Velveeta :
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup flour
dash salt

Thoroughly combine all ingredients. Pour into greased crockpot. Cover and cook on high 1 hour, then turn to low for 4 -5 hours.

IME, this recipe works best if you double it. I imagine it would freeze well. I've never tried that before but next time I make this dish, I will. t's so rich, you can only eat so much of it before you are sick of it.
#22 of 22 Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 PM

A simple manicotti casserole, quesadeas with lots of fresh ingredients & using rostisee chicken from the market.. I love simple & can't do anything complicated with 2 toddlers underfoot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page