Once a Month Cooking- Vegetarian - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

I am going to start trying the OAMC and wanted to see if anyone else has had success with this. I'm actually going to start with once a week and see where that takes me

I have found a few recipes that freeze well, but would absolutely love any input or ideas (recipes??).

Also would love it if anyone else wants to try with me!!!!!
#2 of 18 Old 12-20-2007, 06:23 PM

Don't know if anything here will appeal to you but maybe you'll find something useful:
http://snider.mardox.com/plans.htm

Might find something here:
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes/oa...zer-make-ahead

Info on what doesn't freeze well:
http://www.menus4moms.com/articles/000018.php

(Also there's some disagreement as to whether you can freeze mashed potatoes. I have NOT had success with mashed potatoes, they came out with a gritty texture.)

ETA: Also look at this: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=348

Hope that helps

Single mom of 2 boys
#3 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 AM

I did OAMC for a short while when I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but it didn't last long because I found that I was relying too heavily on processed soy products and meat analogs.

Things I made:
lasagna
chili
soups
casseroles with soy crumbles (cashew nut hotdish, taco hotdish, etc.)

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 09:53 AM

Quiche?
#5 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 02:28 PM

how much freezer space does one need for this?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#6 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for all of your help!

I will definitely be looking into things that do not freeze well- I imagine mashed potatoes didn't go well for you at all! I am trying quiche- I found a good recipe for that and will let you all know how that goes. I'm thinking a lasagna, stuffed mushrooms, soups, etc. Anything has to be better than what we're doing now. Mostly frozen pizza and anything that cooks that quickly. I get home at 7 pm (and 7 1/2 months pregnant fyi- so exhausted) and we just don't have time to cook decent meals.

Wish me luck!
#7 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
how much freezer space does one need for this?
I am wondering this myself, and it's why I'm going to start with maybe a week or two weeks worth of food, rather than a month! Seems like you'll need a hefty freezer and a ton ton ton of tupperware (something else I don't have a lot of!)
#8 of 18 Old 12-27-2007, 08:14 AM

i am trying to cook for the week/month now. you don't need a huge freezer, mine is a just a standard....one of top of the fridge not a side by side. one way they say to save space is to use freezer bags and freeze things flat. not the most environmentally friendly i know....
#9 of 18 Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 PM

With a quiche do you freeze it cooked or uncooked?

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#10 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcents View Post
i am trying to cook for the week/month now. you don't need a huge freezer, mine is a just a standard....one of top of the fridge not a side by side. one way they say to save space is to use freezer bags and freeze things flat. not the most environmentally friendly i know....
You know, I imagine cooking in bulk like that IS environmentally friendly though! You use the oven less, you eat out less (if you're anything like us!) which in turn reduces waste.... I think your conscience is pretty clean still :
#11 of 18 Old 12-28-2007, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
With a quiche do you freeze it cooked or uncooked?
I'm pretty sure you cook it...

Here's the recipe I'm going to use when I finally get around to doing quiche...

55 min 20 min prep
Change to: each quiche US Metric
2 (9 inch) frozen pie crusts
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, plus
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
8 eggs
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
2 (2 1/4 ounce) sliced black olives, drained
1/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Line the unpricked pie crusts with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes; remove foil and bake 5 minutes longer.
Sprinkle the chili powder and cumin over the shells. Combine the cheeses and divide evenly into the shells.
In a bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, chilies, olives, onions, cilantro, salt, and pepper. Pour over the cheese.
Cover and freeze up to three months.
To prepare a quiche immediately: Cover the edges of the crust with foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
To prepare the frozen quiche: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Cover the edges of the pie shell loosely with foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center. Let stand for 10 minutes before baking.
#12 of 18 Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 AM

: Subbing and getting great ideas

Mama to bikenew.gifBoots (April 2006) and Bolt.gifPebbles (November 2008).Wife to :treehugger.gif and mama to angel3.gifHeather, October 2003

#13 of 18 Old 12-29-2007, 11:20 AM

i have had very very good experiences freezing quiche! i use the 'magic quiche' recipe from the LLL book Whole Foods for the Whole Family, with my own filling ingredients instead of theirs- usually swiss chard and onions.

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#14 of 18 Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM

can you share that recipe tabitha?

i have a good quiche recipe but the other day when i cooked a frozen one it came out watery....this was a disappointment.

i have a good vegan soup recipe. i am going to have to measure everything out but here is the gist of it.

in the crockpot to boot

1 cup red lentils rinsed
1 large box of organic veggie stock
1 onion diced
1 tsp cumin (or to taste i just kinda throw it in so i don't know how much exactly i put)
1 tsp corriander (ditto to taste)
salt to taste
1 cut up carrot (i use a large one)
1 small piece of celery chopped

put a little olive oil in a pan, enough to saute the onions. saute until golden but not burnt.

in the crock pot combine the lentils, stock, spices, cooked! onion, carrots, and celery. cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.

if you cook it this long the lentils dissolve and just make a really think creamy type of soup. watch it towards the end, it can become so thick it can dry out and even burn on the sides of the crock pot. if it is too thick, add some water for consistency. you may need to add more spices if you add water though.

i would double this recipe if i wanted it around for the month. usually its enough for one meal and then 2 frozen servings of soup.
#15 of 18 Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 AM

Hi I am bumping this thread again because we didn't get very far with it and I really want some more vegetarian feed the freezer recipes. I got a great recipe from Vegetarian Times not too long ago for an INCREDIBLE carrot chick pea stew tangine. It is awesome and I have already successfully frozen it to great success.
#16 of 18 Old 12-17-2008, 09:08 PM

I've made and frozen lasagna with great success numerous times. In college I would freeze it in individual portions, but now I'll just make two and freeze one for later or to give away.
#17 of 18 Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM

Ok this is going to sound dumb, but do you cook the noodles, and then the entire lasagna? then freeze? or do you leave everything uncooked and then freeze? Thanks!!

"If we are to heal the planet, we must begin by healing birthing."
~Agnes Sallet Von Tannenberg
#18 of 18 Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM

I freeze mashed potatoes. I make them with regular baking potatoes, butter, and some sort of dairy (usually buttermilk). I make them on the stiffer side.

Then, I freeze in ice cream scoops on a baking sheet until firm. Pop them off and store in a ziploc bag.

When it comes time to serve, just defrost as many as you need. We eat them plain, on top of shepherd's pie, or for a fast meal, I thin them down with milk, and we eat it as potato soup (just add milk to the right consistency, top with scallions and cheese). This works great for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page