New Planners Accountablity??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone up for a thread / challenge for new meal planners? I mean I know *how* to meal plan (it's not all that hard. figure what your fmaily likes, what the budget is, plan it and stick to the plan) but I'm not making much progress on my own. Every day seems to go by and I'm still doing the "what shall I give them for lunch" scramble. I was thinking maybe a few of us (or many of us) could work together and encourage each other??

I was thinking somethign like week 1 figure out what your family likes, get your list of meals (and we post them, or post we are working on them). Week 2 figure out what kind of system we want to use (Monday soup, tuesday meat type thing, or a 2 week rotation, or just planning on Fri. for the next week or 2 weeks or motnh or whatever). Week three we actually plan our meals for the next week(s) and shop, and then report back on how we are doing. Anyone game? Just ideas off the top of my head, but I really think it might help me get my rear in gear if there were a few of us procrastonators doing it together. I"m hoping once I get started I can work on the habit, but I have been meaning to start for over a year now : and I still havn't planned meals more than maybe 2x and every time I plan them I forget to check the plan and wind up winging it anyway.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 11:08 AM

im in!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#3 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Me too!
#4 of 19 Old 01-01-2008, 11:54 PM

i started in October so I'm 3 weeks ahead of you (already did your first two week's tasks, I mean) - but I'd still possibly like to join to keep me on track

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#5 of 19 Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM

I'm in. I've tried to keep up with meal planning in the past, but never get beyond a week or two. I definately need to do it with dh and I both working full time, we need to make meal times as easy and stress free as possible (without take-out or convenience foods).
#6 of 19 Old 01-03-2008, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm already successfully PLANNING, it's just sticking to the plan that I have trouble with sometimes. I'm in for the sticking-to-it part!
#7 of 19 Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM

I need help making plans using stuff we already have. I tend to buy all new stuff and still have stuff in my pantry or freezer that is totally unused from nights where the plan changes or we have too much food or whatever.

#8 of 19 Old 01-07-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

OK I'm back sorry I was sooo sick for a few days wasn't really typing online, too busy hacking my lungs out (thank you bronchitious & asthma).

I am working on getting lists of meals together. If someone knows how to use googledocs (or I figure it out ) I will post them. I am planning on sitting tomorrow and doing some work on it.

Mom to:

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#9 of 19 Old 01-07-2008, 05:02 PM

I have to go to the kosher butcher - it's an hour drive. this may be my downfall.... when we don't have the food in the house is when we are like "ok let's make mac & cheese"... so it's essential we get there and soon.

#10 of 19 Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 PM

I have plans made for the next two weeks now. Tomorrow is 15% discount day at the grocery store, so I am going shopping then. I am also trying to mostly use what we already have at home (we have a lot of meat in the freezer), but there are a few staples that we are out of. When I am at home I can post what I've come up with (I'm at work, and my plans are on my computer at home).
#11 of 19 Old 01-07-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
Tomorrow is 15% discount day at the grocery store.
*gasp* I wish we had 15% off days!!!

#12 of 19 Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
*gasp* I wish we had 15% off days!!!
Me too!

#13 of 19 Old 01-08-2008, 03:00 AM

Wow - I work 12 hrs a month to get 26% and you get 15% just for living near the store! That's awesome!

Ok, so I'm totally wanting to do this.

Can I ask some newbie type questions:

1. do you journal this or keep a notebook or keep a blog of it or something? How do you keep track?

2. do you base your plan on what you have in the hose at the time, or what you like to eat (so picking out recipes) and buy what you need for those recipes? huh...just kinda wondering whether to mix and match some of these ideas to make it work for us...

3. do you plan the ENTIRE day's eating, or just the main meal?

4. do you plan meals out of the home too - for example I make a lunch for my dd every day for school - I do buy some things for her, but mostl y she gets stuff that is left over or available (which is what we eat, ds and I, I rarely make NEW food for lunch).

5. do you plan a weeks worth at a time?

6. do you make a plan based on nutrition, availability, budget, leftovers, preferences, all of the above?

7. when you plan and purchase food, and decide half way through the week to change to something else, is it ok to just freeze or stockpile the stuff I don't use? Is this somehow cheating? Huh... not sure why this is an issue for me, I'm not really much of a stickler...

thanks eh! I'm not feeling very confident going into this - I've tried it before and it didn't seem to 'stick'. kwim?

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#14 of 19 Old 01-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post
1. do you journal this or keep a notebook or keep a blog of it or something? How do you keep track?
we write it on the calendar we have hanging in the kitchen (just the regular calander with the boxes that we already used to keep track of appointments and such)

Quote:
2. do you base your plan on what you have in the hose at the time, or what you like to eat (so picking out recipes) and buy what you need for those recipes? huh...just kinda wondering whether to mix and match some of these ideas to make it work for us...
a little of both. we plan what we like to eat and then I need to purchase the food for that. a lot of the food is staples anyway. also I'm in a produce coop (like a CSA) and get produce based on what's in season. I don't really know more than a week in advance what I'm getting and I just try to fit it in.

Quote:
just dinner (for us - I see a lot of people plan all their meals)

Quote:
4. do you plan meals out of the home too - for example I make a lunch for my dd every day for school - I do buy some things for her, but mostl y she gets stuff that is left over or available (which is what we eat, ds and I, I rarely make NEW food for lunch).
nope

Quote:
we plan a month at a time and then I go shopping 1x a week or sometimes try to stretch it out a little longer...

Quote:
6. do you make a plan based on nutrition, availability, budget, leftovers, preferences, all of the above?
all of the above. the kids help me plan and we have days (sunday breakfast for dinner, monday soup, etc)

Quote:
7. when you plan and purchase food, and decide half way through the week to change to something else, is it ok to just freeze or stockpile the stuff I don't use? Is this somehow cheating? Huh... not sure why this is an issue for me, I'm not really much of a stickler...
if I have to change I do - usually it's based on if I don't have something in the house. one of my sons is autistic and he will get very upset if I change the meal so I rewrite it on the calendar then he doesn't mind.

Quote:
thanks eh! I'm not feeling very confident going into this - I've tried it before and it didn't seem to 'stick'. kwim?
you can do it!

#15 of 19 Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I print out a calendar for the month and just write on it what I have planned. I just started a blog and I have a notebook with lists of stuff we like sorted by ingredient, chicken, beef, etc.

Quote:
I go by what sounds good and what we have. If I know there's pork chops in the freezer (I buy stuff like that on sale), I'll plan that for one night.

Quote:
Just dinner. My youngest eats breakfast and lunch at daycare, my oldest eats breakfast and lunch at school, dh doesn't eat much at all, I have a bagel usually for breakfast and leftovers for lunch.

Quote:
I make sure we have stuff at home for the days I need to send lunch to school. I just always have on hand the things he wants in his lunch.

I get paid every 2 weeks so I plan 2 weeks at a time. Sometimes a month.

Quote:
All of the above. I go through what's in the house, what's in the sale ad before I do my plan. I know what we all like so most of the meals come from that. I do try new recipes once a week or so, but if the ingredients are spendy, I usually wait until I can get everything on sale to try that recipe.

Quote:
Since I get all the groceries for 2 weeks at once, I can swap meals around easily if whatever we're having that night doesn't sound good. If something not on the plan sounds good and we have the stuff for it at home, I'll make it and just move the meal plan around.
#16 of 19 Old 01-09-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabeca View Post
Wow - I work 12 hrs a month to get 26% and you get 15% just for living near the store! That's awesome!

It's the first Tuesday of every month. It used to only be 10% (and the rest of the chain is still 10% - Sobeys in Canada), but then they went up to 15%. It's great, I stocked up on lots of things yesterday. I even got a free bag of potatoes for spending more than $75)
Ok, so I'm totally wanting to do this.

Can I ask some newbie type questions:

I have a template that was posted on this forum and I use that and print it out and hang it my kitchen

I do a bit of both. My plans for the next couple of weeks used only meat that we have in the freezer, and then I had to buy a few other ingredients to go with it

I usually just plan supper - everyone has something different for breakfast, and lunch is usually leftovers

I did kind of plan for dds' lunches (they both need a lunch for school/daycare) so I can remember to cook a bit of extra pasta or something the night before

yes

All of the above

I've done that, sometimes our plans change during the week, and we end up not having time to make what was originally planned.

I've tired before and not been able to stick to it, so I hope to be able to this time around!!
#17 of 19 Old 01-13-2008, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

OK so I am working on my food list. I'm a bit slower than I thought i would be (heck I can blame it on being very pregnant with a sick kid at home). How is everyone else coming?

Mom to:

#18 of 19 Old 01-13-2008, 02:38 PM

I have been planning my meals for the month. I don't do good with a list of meals, I get bored. I like to search for new recipes and try a couple new ones each week. We rarely find things we like enough to eat all the time.

#19 of 19 Old 01-16-2008, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hey how's everyone doing???? I'm working on a list of meals. The main reason I want to do a list (for myself) is because I am always looking through my cookbooks and thinking "oh, that looks good" or "oh, I can make that" but then when it comes to planning I wind up trying to remember which of the 5 books, 4 internet sites, or 100 crockpot recipes I wanted to try. I figure if I put them all on a list with what book they are in (and teh page) I can just look at the list and pick a chicken breast recipe that appeals.

Anyway, that's what I've been working on. How is everyone else doing?

Mom to:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page