Need Bean Ideas! - Cleaning out the Pantry! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-24-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Folks! As you can see we have alot of beans in the pantry. I used to eat them alot with spices, onions, but got bored. So I need innovative bean ideas. : I'm a small family. Its just two adults and an almost 2 year old.

Thanks!

~~Umm Zahra's Pantry~~
Dry Goods
1 Cup rolled oat (can eat for breakfast unless it goes with something else?)
1 Cup Qiano (never had it before, a friend gave me some to try)
1 Bag Wild Brown Rice Blend
½ box Spaghetti (very burnt out on spaghetti)
1 small bag Chickpeas
½ bag red beans
1 small bag black beans
1 bag soup mix
3 cup black eyed peas
3 Cup red Lentils

Frozen
Bag of Peas (I usually throw this on salads, or in rice)
Bag of Strawberries
Bag of Raspberries (How can I make frozen sherbet?)
Box of Okra
*Breadcrumbs
#2 of 11 Old 01-27-2008, 01:01 PM

I absolutely LOVE black bean and corn salsa (not quite sure if you needed to stick to just what was in your pantry?- or if those were the things you wanted to use up, but you could add 'other stuff' also.)

What I do-soak and then cook my black beans (in broth tastes even better, but plain water works too) I also cook my frozen corn- but that is mainly because I know my corn was never really cooked just blanched. ANyhow- I am not sure of measurements cause i just mix until it looks good, but my guesstimate is about 1 pint of corn (which is equal to about a can if you use canned or 2 cups if you buy a bag of frozen), about 1 1/2 cups of cooked beans- perhaps more or less, 1 pint of salsa- mix well. I love to eat this on chips as a dip- but I also really enjoyed it over eggs one morning too. IT also goes well with chicken in tortillas. This could also go well over your rice or Quinoa.

I would make hummus with the chic peas.

I make strawberry (or mixed berry) ice cream- I mix milk, frozen purreed berries and some cream to equal about 4 cups of 'mix" (my vanilla recipe is 2 cups milk, 2 cups cream plus about 1 cup sugar and twp vainlla- so I just 'play' with making strawberry from there- maybe 1 cup strawberries, 1 cup cream 2 cups milk- probably more like 2 cups strawberries, 1 cup milk, 1 cup cream- plus sugar to taste)

REcipezaar.com has a recipe I really want to try for chicken black beans.. think it is even a crockpot recipe. (I will look it up for you if I know you mean you want to use these up in combinatio nwith other foods too)
#3 of 11 Old 01-27-2008, 01:02 PM

:
#4 of 11 Old 01-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Rachel's Black Bean Soup
By Rachel – http://familieseatinghealthy.blogspot.com

1 cup salsa
3 cans black beans
2 cups chicken stock
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup chopped small carrots
2 tbsp. cilantro (fresh, chopped)
1 tsp. lime juice (optional)

Warm the salsa in your soup pot until a little bubbly, then add the black beans to heat and then the chicken stock, garlic powder, carrots into the pot.
Bring to a boil while stirring and then lower the heat to simmer and cover the pot for around 15-20 minutes.
Then, use a hand immersion blender and blend what is about half of the soup (to thicken) being careful not to splash. You can also do this with a regular blender just be sure to let the soup cool before you blend it or ladel it out.
Next, add your cilantro along with the lime juice if you like and its ready to go!
Sometimes I let it thicken up a bit and cook down more. I also often make brown rice on the side and put a little in the bowl before putting my soup on top. You can also add sour cream to it on top.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#5 of 11 Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!! Yes, I'm looking to use up the pantry stuff w/ other things. The other things I buy every 3 days or so (veggies, fruit, peppers, onions, etc).
#6 of 11 Old 01-28-2008, 11:52 PM

I just made a great dish tonight that I got off AllRecipes.com. Sweet potato and black bean burritos. Yummy! So good and very easy to make. The original recipe makes a lot, so I just halved it for DH and I (we also have a toddler).

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#7 of 11 Old 01-29-2008, 06:31 AM

My fave garbanzo bean recipe:

4 cups soaked garbanzo (chickpeas) beans (or 2 cans)
1-2 tbs olive oil (or other oil of your choosing)

Drain beans, rinse if canned. Place on a few paper towels or a kitchen towel & pat dry. In a bowl, mix beans with oil. The beans should be shiny, but not swimming in oil. If the beans aren't glossy, add more oil. Place on a large baking sheet so that beans are one layer thick, and bake at 450*F for about 45 min, stirring the beans every 15-20 minutes so that they will evenly bake.

Once out of the oven, sprinkle on some sea salt, black pepper, cumin or any other yummy savory spice mix. This makes a really healthy, really yummy alternative to chex mix. Some beans will be crunchier than others, which, IMO, is sooooo good.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

#8 of 11 Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 PM

We enjoy this stew with garbanzos. http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1611739

The classic red beans and rice
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=258921

We enjoyed this soup with black eyed peas.
http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php...76,446,197,145

And, though it's a bit cold this time of year, we always like Texas Caviar.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=258839

We eat black beans as soup, as the corn salsa, an ingredient in burritos, tacos, etc, and we like the old staple, black beans and rice.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=520251

I don't cook lentils often. Don't know why--we like them. When I do, it tends to be as lentil salad (lentils, onion, bell pepper, vinagrette) or alongside this fabulous curried rice biriyani that Trader Joes sells as a quick, easy meal.

You can make gumbo with the okra, or okra, corn, and tomatoes (we serve over rice).
#9 of 11 Old 01-29-2008, 03:09 PM

Oh, you could make a strawberry/raspberry crumble, using the oatmeal as part of the topping.

Mix the peas in with the brown rice blend as "pilaf".

What about lo mein with the spaghetti? Depending on what you have in your pantry other than what you posted, it doesn't look hard. I haven't made this recipe, though, but I have good luck with Cooking LIght.
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=549795
#10 of 11 Old 01-29-2008, 09:46 PM

RED LENTIL AND APRICOT SOUP :
#11 of 11 Old 02-02-2008, 10:00 AM

rice pudding--yummy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page