What would YOU cook?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-02-2008, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Talking to friend a couple days ago. she hates cooking for her family because

--dp hates chicken

--the kids hate 'chewy meat' (ie steaks and the like)

--she doesn't like pork, dh does. (i know her kids like sausages and stuff I don't know if pork chops fall under 'chewy meat' but probably lol)

--and everybody except the toddler is sick to death of spaghetti and other dishes involving noodles, hamburger, tomato products. her dp also hates spaghetti.

she doesn't really want to do two things all the dang time either, I don't blame her (like pork chops and chicken or steak and chicken.) and I don't think they're into fish other than shrimp.

What in the heck would YOU cook? (and they WANT meat with dinner *sigh* )

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 02-02-2008, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uhmmm that doesn't leave much meat left to eat! I think she just needs to make extra of each meal and the family eat what they like. For example Monday she makes a chicken dish and she and the kids eat it and she makes enough for the next day too. Then Tuesday she makes Steak for DH and the kids eat the meal from Monday. Wednesday she makes Pork and her and the kids have that and DH eats the steak from the night before. Thursday maybe the hamburger thing they all can eat, etc. That is not making 2 meals but still having meals they all will eat.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#3 of 13 Old 02-03-2008, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

that's kind of what *I* do just because DS eats better if he can 'choose' and we need stuff for DH to take to work, a bit for me to eat for lunch while DD is napping and DS is at preschool where he eats lunch....stuff like that.

I told her what I do already. now to ME if her dp wants a fresh-cooked 'approved' meal EVERY NIGHT.......that's HIS problem and he needs to help given the preferences of everyone.

*I* would do the fridge thing. there's times DH and I have the 'fresh meal' and some leftovers out.

i know when everyone is sick of spaghetti and noodle stuff, that pretty much leaves her making tacos, super nachos....pizza? looooool

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#4 of 13 Old 02-06-2008, 09:10 PM

I don't suppose any of them like beans? If so that would broaden their horizons. How about a rice dish like fried rice or "dirty" rice or a rice pilaf?

What about eggs, quiche, frittata, omelets etc or pancakes and other "breakfast for dinner" meals?

Mac and cheese or tuna casserole?

If that were my family, I would involve them in the process. Make it a challenge or a game or a rotating "everyone picks a meal for one night of the week" kind of thing, and everyone has to try each new meal. Those who are old enough can make their own backup meal if they don't like what's being served (pb&j or cold-cuts sandwiches, cold cereal, grilled cheese, etc.). But I feel that if everyone in the family is going to be picky about the main protein source, they all need to pitch in either a) to come up with dinners that everyone can enjoy; or b) to make their own meal so poor Mom doesn't have to tear her hair out every night.
#5 of 13 Old 02-08-2008, 04:01 AM - Thread Starter

lol it gets worse from here

I seem to remember discussing both breakfast-for-dinner and tuna casserole, and her dp's the one who doesn't like those options.

seriously I have a cakewalk compared to her and I still complain about not knowing what to make. in my house I only have to deal with DH not really liking tuna though he will eat it if we REALLY need to go to the store. and the occasional complaint about lack of salt.

if I were her I think I would be making a lot of meals that are like steak with a side of mac and cheese and veggies--so the kids can eat the mac n cheese and veggies lol. Or I'd be figuring out how to use the broiler pan for meats so I could make pork chops or steak and chicken with little to no extra effort.
Can you broiler-pan all of that? I've never tried.

I should ask her for that dirty rice recipe she told me that one time, she does have one LOL and *I* forgot all about that, *I* was going to try it at my house with beef sausage!

the only thing about others making their own dinner is the 12 year old could if she wanted, but the others are 5, 3, and 1. (the one year old, like mine, is the un-pickiest LOL)

#6 of 13 Old 02-08-2008, 01:02 PM

Well, the 5 and 3 year olds can certainly help plan and choose meals. If she says "do you want X or Y" they are both old enough to make a choice. I think the 5 yo could get a sandwich or a bowl of cereal or some veggies with dip, too, but maybe that's just my kid.

I'm sorry she's having such a hard time, but you asked what we would cook -- beyond the things that have been already suggested (and rejected) I, if it were me, would set some limits and/or solicit some help from the family. There is NO WAY I would deal with all of that pickiness and making all those different meals with a million different requirements.. It's not worth it to me to stress over that.
#7 of 13 Old 02-08-2008, 02:53 PM

peanut butter and jelly sammies'!

First, I would see why it is the DH doesn't like chicken. My DP 'doesn't like chicken' but it's because, before me, it was always on the bone and with skin. Now he eats it 4/7 nights a week in the form of boneless skinless breasts.

If DH still hates chicken, perhaps let him have a cut of meat he does like and don't worry about the kids eating the same...they don't want it anyway. It's not much trouble to get a steak under the broiler/on the grill as you make other stuff. You can easily grill/broil chicken along side the beef, just get the chicken up and out of the beef juices by putting it on a rack (this would also get it closer to the broiler and make the cooking time closer to that of the beef/pork)

For the kids, because they are still figuring out what they like, I'd also include hardy sides like mac&cheese, beans, rice, etc.

Lots of sides (and chicken) save really well, so if she gets her menu down on paper she can easily be 'cooking' just one meal and 'reheating' the rest.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#8 of 13 Old 02-08-2008, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

LOL *I* wouldn't either.

so this is NOT typical? lol I thought not but I also thought maybe I am just lucky in having a DH who would *rather* eat beef or lamb but will eat chicken, only total taboo is he doesn't like tuna.

yeah I would think the older LO's can be in on suggestions.

she's never outright said but I infer that she's concerned that allowing to go get a bowl of cereal etc. for them would begin a trend of refusing to eat what is made, and of course she wants them to try a variety of stuff, eat things from all food groups, etc. (i know her 3 yo would live on cereal if allowed.)

i 'get' that....I told her about my leftovers added to the table approach to give meal choice. I think though with 6 of them versus our 4, and two of those four being toddlers, they don't have leftovers the way I do. LOL

#9 of 13 Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 PM

What about roasts? A well cooked beef roast isn't chicken, isn't pork, and isn't chewy (it should just fall apart). Roasts are also versitile and can be used as leftovers in sandwiches, tacos, sauces, etc. Often roasts are a good bargain too. You can use an inexpensive cut like chuck roast to make stews, goulash, etc. The variety comes from the spices and veggies you cook it with. And there is nothing my family loves more than a simple brisket baked with onions, garlic, bouillon and a splash of wine. Yum!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#10 of 13 Old 02-16-2008, 04:05 PM

Oh, I just thought of something else. I know you said your friend doesn't like pork, but will she eat ham? A nice smoked ham will make at least a half a dozen meals for us. We eat it as baked ham the first night. Then the bone and leftover meat gets frozen in 1- 2 pound packages and used for soups, beans, egg scrambles, sandwiches etc. We spread it out over a couple of months so we don't get sick of ham!

Honestly, if I were her I'd make a wide variety of foods and vary what was served nightly. Some nights the kids, her DP, or your friend might not like the main course and only eat the side dishes, but maybe everyone will come to find there are a few different dishes they can tolerate or even like.

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
#11 of 13 Old 02-22-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna View Post
if it were me, would set some limits and/or solicit some help from the family. There is NO WAY I would deal with all of that pickiness and making all those different meals with a million different requirements.. It's not worth it to me to stress over that.
Yep. I have no patience for that and I told dh that from the get-go. The rule at our house is everyone tries 2 bites of everything then they can get their own thing (really only applies to ds at the moment b/c dh isn't going to cook for himself so he'll eat what I serve). Her kids seem old enough to start helping her at least do the meal planning. But then I'm a cranky mommy

Maybe each person can have a night where their preferences take priority? Or she can have her kids and dh make a list of recipes or things they *do* like and she can work from there?

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#12 of 13 Old 02-27-2008, 02:37 PM

Is turkey acceptable to her dp or is that too much like chicken? She could make just about any recipe that calls for chicken with turkey instead if that would pass the picky people.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#13 of 13 Old 02-27-2008, 03:51 PM

I don't see anyone here suggesting fish. Tilapia, anyone?

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page