Sneaky chef? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-03-2008, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone used the book and if so, are the recipes any good?

DH and I are picky and it is hard to get our veggies in...and I am trying for us to eat at home and eat better because we are both overweight and with 2 kidlets(one and one on the way), I want to make sure they do'nt have this problem too.

So I figure if we start eating better at home, then at least that is a start, even if I have to hide veggies in mac and cheese.

And any other ideas for getting us to eat better? I am really hoping to start doing some freezer meals as well, so when the baby is born and I am tired on my babymoon, we can still be eating well!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#2 of 11 Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM

I have not tried sneaky chef but I have tried Deceptively Delicious, basically same deal and I thought most of it was pretty good. We used it for the same reason, so dh and I would get more veggies. I have been wanting to try sneaky chef so let me know if you like it.

#3 of 11 Old 02-04-2008, 02:57 AM

I reviewed both books after checking them out of the library:
Deceptively Delicious:
Easy and simple purees
Uses lots of different vegetables and fruit
Love the spinal back on the book and the pictures of each recipe
I wasn't too keen on the cuteness factor of the book. The pictures and comments of her dh and kids seemed fake and didn't do much for me.
Most of the recipes were quick and easy.
11 different vegetable purees
6 different fruit purees
12 different breakfast meals
39 different mealtime meals
25 different desserts
I tried 6 different recipes and loved all but one.

Sneaky Chef:
Paperback. Not my favorite type of binding for a cookbook.
92 pages of information. Some of it was useful for me but its basically a quick nutritional review. If you've taken nutritional classes in college it's nothing new, I was a nutrition minor so it was basically review.
The purees are a little more complex then the other book. There are several ingredients in each puree.
13 different purees, juices, and other stuff, sort of a complex process for most
Not many pictures of the actual food.
11 different breakfast recipes
14 different lunch recipes
10 different snack recipes
21 different dinner recipes
12 different treat recipes
10 different drink recipes
I tried 10 different recipes from this book and we liked all ten recipes.
#4 of 11 Old 02-04-2008, 10:40 AM

I've only read (and own) deceptivly delicious.

every recipe I tried, I liked. but more importantly - I already added lots of veggies - this book gave me SO many more ideas of where to add them. I love that.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#5 of 11 Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 AM

I just got Sneaky Chef from the library. I had already been doing some things she suggested (adding ww flour, ground nuts, berry juice) I haven't tried the vegetable purees in foods.
#6 of 11 Old 02-15-2008, 01:07 AM

I have the Sneaky Chef. I've made a number of things and all but one turned out (it wasn't the taste but the texture). I really enjoy the book and use it a lot. We made brownies today and everyone gave them a thumbs up. In fact all three of my kids have enjoyed the recipes I have used so far. They enjoy finding out what things were hidden in their food. They were quite shocked to find out they were eating avacados for breakfast!
#7 of 11 Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I got the SC from the library--twice. My family eats a variety of foods, so I found the recipes to be kind of bland, though that's the point. The brownies were good--they're made with spinach and blueberries. I really like the cheese crackers. I borrowed the book a second time because I forgot to write down the cracker recipe the first time.

I'd say borrow the book from the library and see what you think.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#8 of 11 Old 02-24-2008, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

I actually have the book and have started using the recipes. We LOVE it! But we eat boring anyways..lol..so this is great so that we can include veggies and things into our diet.

I got a food processor for my birthday from DH so I can make better purees!(Mine was only like 2 cups-this one is 10 cups!)

Plus I got a breadmaker too, so I can make "good for us" bread too!

I am very excited to be able to eat at home more, that is one of my new years resolutions to eat at home and eat better!

Kara, Chad, dd L(5) and ds E(3) and expecting baby E on Valetine's Day grouphug.gif~We are a home-birthing, baby-wearing, home-made, co-sleeping, no-vax, crafting(both of items and of magick!), green living and loving family in Southern NH

#9 of 11 Old 03-01-2008, 12:49 AM

I haven't read the books, but I have made brownies with pureed punes. They were delicious! You couldn't taste them at all. But I also wanted to let you know that I have a very picky ds that will eat any vegetable that is in a homemade soup, salsa (even though he claims that he hates tomatoes and will not touch them--even after eating a whole bowl of it), and any stir-fry (as long as we call it Chinese). (Cutting up the pieces really small helps!) Good luck!!
#10 of 11 Old 03-03-2008, 07:03 PM

I'm back to low carbing for PCOS (no weight issues, but to manage insulin resistance). I follow some low carb eating websites, and try to find the gems that people post that are "whole foods" vs. Frankenfoods.

This one woman came up w/ the idea of using riced/shredded cauli as breadstick dough/pizza dough. It sounds crazy, but it is good and I can't imagine too many kids disliking it. My DS helped me make it so he knew it was cauliflower, but he's not a particularly picky eater. So not only is it low carb, but it also happens to be a great way to get a lot of veggies into your kid if they like pizza or breadsticks.

http://denver.yourhub.com/Longmont/B...%7E435499.aspx

for the breadsticks, I put a lot of grated parm on the top during the final bake, flipped them, and put more parm on again. THey were really good. I think I undercooked the pizza a wee bit, but it was still very good.
#11 of 11 Old 03-03-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh lil! That sounds DELICIOUS!! I am a cauliflower junkie anyways and I can't wait to try this!!!!

TY!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page