What are your easy rice meals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have really simple meals to throw together with brown rice?
Preferably something ultra easy for quick lunches- maybe with beans or veggies?
Let me know some of the things you do with rice!
#2 of 17 Old 02-05-2008, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Roasted vegetables on rice is really nice - especially if you include some tomoatoes to make it nice and juicy. Just roast some vegetales with herbs, garlic and olive oil and serve them over the rice.

You can also cook an onion and a pepper in a little olive oil, add garlic, cumin and chili powder, then stir in a can of beans and some salsa and a little water and serve it over rice with cheese, green onions or cilanto.
#3 of 17 Old 02-05-2008, 04:14 PM

Cuban Style Rice&Beans
[I alter recipes as I cook, so this is not precise.]

----
2c brown rice
1 med-large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 can diced tomatoes (or use fresh)
1 can black beans (")
2-3 brats or sausages - totally optional, we're a meateating family.
Cumin, Coriander, Jerk seasoning, salt, pepper, red chilli powder

Prepare rice, cook sausage- sautee onion, garlic, sausage. Add beans & tomatoes. Season. Add rice to mix.
Yum. And even better the next day, after everything settles into the rice.
#4 of 17 Old 02-05-2008, 04:16 PM

Cuban Style Rice&Beans
[I alter recipes as I cook, so this is not precise.]

----
2c brown rice
1 med-large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 can diced tomatoes (or use fresh)
1 can black beans (")
2-3 brats or sausages - totally optional, we're a meateating family.
Cumin, Coriander, Jerk seasoning, salt, pepper, red chilli powder

Prepare rice, cook sausage- sautee onion, garlic, sausage. Add beans & tomatoes. Season. Add rice to mix.
Yum. And even better the next day, after everything settles into the rice.
#5 of 17 Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 PM

Here's my main one:
http://rachelscooking.blogspot.com/2...llet-rice.html

I also make a fried rice-- scramble eggs, rice, diced carrots and diced celery. You can throw some ground meat in there if you want.
Season with soy sauce.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#6 of 17 Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Stuffed tomatoes. I saute some onion, a little minced garlic and add the part of the tomato I scooped out. i cook it until it is well cooked and then mix it with some romano cheese and cooked rice and stuff the tomatoes. I top with breadcrumbs and drizzle a little olive oil. I then cook it in the over at 350 until baked through and the top is crusty They really taste yummy!
#7 of 17 Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 PM

Stuffed peppers.

Beans and rice. Rice and beans. Black beans with salsa on top. Pintos with salsa and cheese. Pintos with onions, served with cornbread and pepper vinegar. Blackeyed peas with onions and chow-chow. Red beans with cajun seasoning, with or without sausage. Lentils with some sort of curry flavoring (in the rice or the lentils themselves). Sauteed tofu with roasted or sauteed vegetables, then the whole thing dusted with nutrtional yeast (a local restaurant calls this a "golden bowl", and it's great)

Cold rice salad. Rice, scallions or onions, a bell pepper if you have it, meat if you want, then top with a vinagrette. I like chicken, rice, and artichoke hearts, but anything is good, really.

Rice pilaf. The easy version we eat as a side dish is rice, parsley, scallions, nuts, and a squeeze of citrus juice. I eat it the next day as lunch.

Savannah red rice (I'm not sure what makes this different from jambalaya, but that's what we call it around here)

Gumbo with rice

Chili over rice

Cuban picadillo over rice (not authentic, but it's good)

Taco meat mixed with rice, served in a corn (for tacos) or flour (for burritos) tortilla. Bring along whatever toppings you like.

Make it into rice pudding for a treat.

Chicken and rice casserole.

Chicken and rice soup (creamy or not)

I'm not sure how it would work with cooked rice, but maybe porcupine meatballs

This would be more involved, but you could make a rice stuffing/dressing, then eat it all week.

Fake empanadas--use phyllo dough, pie crust, or canned biscuits. Fill a circle with rice, beans, meat (if you want), cheese. Cover the filling to make half circles. Bake until the dough is done.

We love rice here! I'm always trying to find new ways to eat it!
#8 of 17 Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Well, for REALLY simple (I consider this one of my "lazy" meals!) just cook up a pot of brown rice, throw in a can of beans (black or kidney for us, usually), and then enough salsa to give it some flavor (about a cup, maybe?). It'll do in a pinch!!
#9 of 17 Old 02-29-2008, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Fried Rice

Cook your rice, throw in assorted veggies (I usually do broccoli, corn, peas, edame beans, tomato, and mushroom.) I also add morning star veggie buffalo wings cut in half for some zest. Add sesame oil, soy sauce, cashews. Then at the end I throw in some egg.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#10 of 17 Old 02-29-2008, 01:14 AM

Really easy meal here. Cut up smoked sausage and cook it in skillet for just about 3 minutes. Add diced green pepper and let it cook with the sausage for about five minutes (until it is tender). Add diced tomatos and cook for just long enough to heat them (2 minutes, tops). Serve it all over rice.

It takes about 15 minutes from start to finish. I make it for dinner once every other month or so and it is so good. We usually do not have leftovers, but it is good reheated.
#11 of 17 Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelagain View Post
Here's my main one:
http://rachelscooking.blogspot.com/2...llet-rice.html

I also make a fried rice-- scramble eggs, rice, diced carrots and diced celery. You can throw some ground meat in there if you.
Season with soy sauce.
Rachel, I love your blog! I have it bookmarked so I can go get some inspiration when I'm running low.

I forgot to post the link to my favorite rice recipe. Dirty Rice
I usually go heavy on the veggies and light on the ground beef. I also use beef broth instead of bouillon if I have it, and buy no added MSG bouillon for when I don't.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#12 of 17 Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 PM

Tonight I'm making brown rice and steaming broccoli, mushrooms, grated carrot, and diced eggplant in a teeny bit of olive oil in a covered pan (all the yummy flavours stay in so it doesn't need anything like salt or pepper). I like it with and without soy sauce, but with is my preference.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#13 of 17 Old 03-01-2008, 12:40 AM

I sautee a large onion in a little butter or coconut oil, add some minced garlic and curry spices, boil anasazi beans, mung beans or lentils with the rice until all are done, steam some veggies and mix it all together.

Usually I'll make enough to last most of the week, and this is reheated in the iron skillet for dinners, sometimes adding a few cashews or some sesame seeds, or a different type of vegetable.:
#14 of 17 Old 03-02-2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
Rachel, I love your blog! I have it bookmarked so I can go get some inspiration when I'm running low.
Why thank you!

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#15 of 17 Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauhinia View Post
Well, for REALLY simple (I consider this one of my "lazy" meals!) just cook up a pot of brown rice, throw in a can of beans (black or kidney for us, usually), and then enough salsa to give it some flavor (about a cup, maybe?). It'll do in a pinch!!
Yummy! I eat this several times a week. Try corn salsa from Trader Joe's if you aven't already. The kids will eat it with me, but dh needs some meat in there to consider it a true meal.
#16 of 17 Old 03-13-2008, 07:48 PM

My fave is a crockpot chili over rice.

a lb of ground beef or turkey
16-32 oz (depending on preference) of diced tomatoes ( I like using italian)
can of chili beans
a package of chili seasoning

I also ad a can of corn (gives a nice sweetness to it), and dashes of garlic and onion powder. The recipe's really flexible, so you can add more or less beans or meat if you like.

Cook on low 6-8, high 4-6 hrs.

YUM!!!!!!
#17 of 17 Old 03-14-2008, 12:51 AM

Mine is super easy and yummy:

Saute some chopped onions and nitrate-free chicken hotdogs sliced up, add a can of S&W chili beans, heat and serve over rice. plus this is really cheap.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page