Cookbook Recommendation? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-13-2008, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about to become a SAHM when my baby is born in a few weeks. One of our greatest expenses that we are trying to cut down is groceries (about $500/month for the two of us). We plan to BF and then make all food for the baby. We do eat quite healthy as a whole and this is something that is VERY important to us. We are a soy free household (I have endometriosis that we try to manage with diet) and although we do occasionally eat meat, we stick to hormone/antibiotic free meats. Dairy is organic, always, and very limited.

I'm looking for a good meal planning cookbook that is mostly vegetarian based - since we typically do eat that way - but that doesn't focus on soy as a protein source.

Any suggestions??
#2 of 14 Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 PM

I'm sure someone who is vegetarian will certainly come along with a better recommendation but I really like The Moosewood Cooks at Home. The meals are simple and with not-hard-to-find ingredients. We eat meat but also have veggie meals or use the recipes as side dishes. LOTS of yummy things in there!
#3 of 14 Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 PM

I'm not a veg, but I do cook a lot of veg meals and I really like all of the Moosewood books.
#4 of 14 Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Me too. I also have one which is just stews, soups and salads. It is wonderful!
#5 of 14 Old 02-13-2008, 02:46 PM

Buy yourself a slow cooker (if you don't already have one, great for those days when baby doesn't want to go down and favors cheaper ingrediants). Then get this book from teh library and if you really love it go ahead and buy

Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#6 of 14 Old 02-13-2008, 03:04 PM

I really like the American WholeFoods Cookbook by David and Nikki Goldbeck. It's great if you're trying to save money because it has instructions on how to make bread and yogurt, along with good basic recipes. I use this cookbook daily.
#7 of 14 Old 02-13-2008, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

OOOH Moosewood! I used to have one of their cookbooks and you are right, they are great. Thanks for the suggestions ladies!
#8 of 14 Old 02-14-2008, 10:18 AM

I love Moosewood, too.
#9 of 14 Old 02-24-2008, 07:07 PM

Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" is one of my most treasured and used cookbooks.
#10 of 14 Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarenLisbeth View Post
Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" is one of my most treasured and used cookbooks.
I would go with this cookbook over moosewood's series and I have both.
#11 of 14 Old 02-24-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyblossom View Post
We plan to BF and then make all food for the baby.
This is a different piece of information than you asked for, but something I found really helpful:
http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html
It's an article on baby-led solids. We let our son eat off our plates when he was ready. He started actually putting our food in his mouth. We never gave him baby food. We also used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...FC4BXBD06NCSRZ
With these bags, the baby ate our food and we didn't have to worry about choking. There are other brands out there, this is just the one we used.
I think part of why our son eats so many different foods and has never balked at textures is because of how we introduced foods.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#12 of 14 Old 02-28-2008, 02:24 AM

I recommend the Body Ecology Diet, Nourishing Traditions, and The Maker's Diet.

The latter contain more meat meals than the first, but they are all focused on whole, natural, traditional, healthy meals that contain natural enzymes and probiotics for a healthy inner ecosystem. Great for preventing food sensitivities in baby. I so wish I had known about these with my first baby to prevent some of the issues we are facing today.

I used to love Moosewood, but I find it doesn't really meet my expectations anymore for truly whole, natural food.
#13 of 14 Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 AM

Passionate Vegetarian by Cresent Dragonwagon-
I just discovered this. Huge variety of stuff. Many recipes that could be adapted to also include meat if that's what you want. I checked it out of the library first.

I also love the previously mentioned slow cooker book, but recently read a thread or two here and several news articles about most slow cooker crocks containing lead and cadmium in the glazes. apparently they do leach out when tested although at levels lower than the FDA required minimums. you might want to research this a little before investing in any old slow cooker. some brands are better than others i guess. (sorry to highjack a little-- back to cookbook talk)

i am also a deborah madison fan and love Local Flavors even more than her veg*n book.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#14 of 14 Old 02-28-2008, 01:31 PM

I got a Hamilton Beach slowcooker that is supposed to be lead-free

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page