Half vegetarian half carnivore meal planning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2008, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh is a veggie, I need my iron rich meat to feel like healthy. How can I meal plan so we both eat well and it doesn't take 2 hours each night to make dinner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Could you make a vegan meal and at a meat dish? Lots of vegetables and vegan items that you would both love, and a meat.

I ate an awesome veggie burger wrap in MD during a visit, and DH says that it was soooo good that he did not miss the meat. I will search for some recipes for you if you like...

Mom to 7-year old DS1 carrot.gif, 2 year old DD joy.gifand DS2 surf.gif

Old 02-28-2008, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Could you eat meat at lunchtime and veggie meals at dinner? (This will only work, of course, if you're together at dinnertime but not at lunchtime.)

Cook up burgers or chicken strips or whatever kind of meat you prefer, and freeze or refridgerate in small portions, make a veggie main dish and add the meat to your portion only. If you're just warming up pre-cooked meat, it won't take a long time to prepare.

It's really not hard to add some meat to most veggie meals, even those that are quite complete without anything added. My personal problem is that I have multiple food sensitivities, so many vegetarian meals aren't an option for me, while my 13yo won't eat meat- so we really can't eat a lot of the same meals. That makes things a lot more complicated.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would just make a dish, plus a piece of steak/roast/chicken/fish or whatever.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a lot of vegetarian friends, so what I usually do is make something like spaghetti and then make meatballs or sausage in a separate pan and then add it to my portion only. Or I make tacos or burritos then the veg friends can have beans and meat eaters can have taco meat, since everyone assembles the burrito or taco themselves. Or I will make a roast chicken with several sides like sweet potatoes, broccoli and white beans, then veg friends can have a variety of things to eat and I can have my meat as well. Another idea is to make a vegetarian black bean soup with quesadillas. Your husband can have a quesadilla with cheese and maybe some roasted peppers and you could have one with some grilled skirt steak. I think the key is to find meals where either each portion is made up seperately like in quesadillas or tacos. Or where you can add meat at the end to your portion only like spaghetti or where you make meat with multiple side dishes, so your dh has veg things to eat as well. Good Luck I know it can be limiting sometimes to cook for someone who's food choices/preferences are different from your own.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson

User Tag List