Any Gluten and Dairy Free Meal Plans??? Including Toddler Foods?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-01-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have to sit down and write out some meal plans. It's causing too many battles, especially since I have to eat GF/DF (except butter).
Can someone please help me, or point me to a great website for some easy recipes? Preferably whole foods ones.
#2 of 2 Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmmmmm. We generally just make whatever we'd have otherwise made, but tweak it to be gluten and dairy free. We make garfava/sorghum/potato and corn starch flour and use it for anything that would need wheat flour...so we make pizza on Friday nights...and use the garfava mix flour to make dough. When we make pizza, it is without cheese for the dairy free eaters (which is three of the four of us). We have pasta, and when we do that, we actually make a couple of different types of noodles...my dh is allergic to quinoa and rice, so we use jerusalem artachoke/corn noodles for him, and the kids get rice noodles (they prefer them and they tend to cost less). When we eat bread, they have gluten free bread recipes that rock, and we have a couple in particular that we use.

When we eat breakfast, we once again use the garfava blend flour to make pancakes, waffles, or quiche crust. For the dairy in these things we most often use rice milk for the kids' version and soy milk for dh's version (yes, on these nights we have three different versions of the same dinner...we will make a full batch of each and freeze the leftovers).

We use the garfava flour and sometimes rice flour for some GREAT recipes of cakes, cupcakes, muffins, and cookies.

We use mashed potatoes a lot, instead of egg noodles, in recipes that would use egg noodles (like gravey based goulash over noodles? We use potatoes).

I use rice for the kids in soups that I might otherwise use noodles in. I make stuffed peppers and meat balls and meat loaf and burgers all without breadcrumbs/dairy, and they are pretty darned great, if I do say so myself.

I hope that is some ideas...Generally, you just have to figure out what it is that you eat, and then find ways to adjust your regular recipe. I use rice milk in place of most dairy, and a couple of different flours in place of wheat. After a while, it becomes second nature. You can do it!

A good resource is the Food Allergy Network, and a great book to start with is called "The Food Allergy Field Guide."

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page