Cooking/meal prepping on Sunday for the week - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2008, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about to be a SAHM in about a month, and when that happens, I want to start cooking/meal-prepping a lot of stuff on Sunday to prepare for the week. So far my plan is to make two loaves of bread in my bread machine, a batch of waffles to freeze for quick breakfasts for my oldest (he goes to all-day public school), a huge salad to eat with lunches & dinners during the week, browning 2 lbs. of ground beef, boiling 1 lb. of boneless skinless chicken breasts, and making a large dessert to last the week. Does anyone here do anything like this? What are the things you make/prep on your "cooking day?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
We do this too!

I will cut up a bunch of veggies - carrots, celery, radishes, peppers, whatever to have on hand for DH and I to snack on at work.

I usually make bread to have on hand.

We do all our meal planning/grocery shopping too on Sunday too.

I make pitas and hummus for lunches.

And usually a dessert - cookies or cupcakes or something sweet. That usually lasts us until ...oh, Tuesday!
Old 03-09-2008, 06:52 PM

I always make a huge feast on Sundays, then I have a couple of leftover side dishes/meals for DH's lunch. I plan that night for the whole week and it works really well.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 AM

I don't do it all the time,b ut when I do, it sure does make the week go smoother.

I like to cut up veggies for the week. On Monday and Tuesday, we eat with dip. Later in the week, they turn into a veggie side dish (like broccoli), and at the end of the week, they go into soup.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:30 PM

I do it sometimes. Cut up veggies and fruit, plan out my son's lunches and pack up small containers for the things he wants. I almost always make bread or brownies or cookies or something like that on Sundays too.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:39 AM

Sunday is the day I plan the menu for the week, shop, and prepare for the week. Every two weeks I plop two whole chickens in my big stock pot and cook them- then I take all the meat off, freeze it in meal size containers, chill the broth (I take the fat off the top the next day and freeze the broth in quarts). Its easy, cheap, and healthy, and in one afternoon I have all the broth, chicken, and chicken fat that I need for two weeks. I don't make a full salad, but I do wash and dry lettuce leaves and wrap them in a dish towel then in a plastic bin for the week. I boil an extra package of eggs every couple of weeks. I don't do all of the prep work on Sunday, but just planning ahead helps to keep it from feeling hectic all week. I write down on the menu what prep I need to do the day before- take meat out of the freezer, soak grains, start bread, etc., which helps me stay on top of it.

User Tag List