Help me plan this week's menu! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-31-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll need to run to the store to pick up a few things and can get a few additional ingredients, but I'd really like to keep this week's grocery bill to a minimum and really focus on using what I already have. I'll probably only need 3-4 good dinners since we eat at a friend's house once a week and we also usually eat leftovers at least once or twice. I have the following things already on-hand:

Lots of staples like pasta, beans, canned tomatos, rice, frozen veggies, etc.

LOTS of fresh veggies including butternut squash, 3 lbs. of sugar snap peas, peppers, celery, carrots, a bunch of salad mix/baby spinach and a few other things.

A 2 lb. chuck roast, lots of chicken, a smoked turkey sausage, a package of pancetta, frozen wild salmon, a pack of bacon, 1 lb. of ground bison meat, some frozen tuna steaks and proscuitto.

So- if you had any of these things available what would sound good to you for dinner? Bonus points for meals that are fast and easy clean-up during the week (ie: everything roasted in one pan, cooked in one pot, everything cooked in the oven on foil-lined pans, etc- I just don't want to have to wash multiple pots/pans/baking dishes.) More elaborate meals that involve extra prep/cooking/dishes are cool on the weekends when we have more time...
#2 of 3 Old 03-31-2008, 02:45 PM

I don't know how much help I'll be. I cook most things seperate because of allergies, but I'll try.

Baked salmon, stir fried veggies, pasta or rice
Roast with carrots and celery, maybe rolls?
Salad with grilled chicken
Chicken parm with a side of any of your veggies
I don't remember what its called, but I've made a dish of sausage, peppers, and tomatoes in the crockpot
Burritos with either the beans or the bison, spanish rice
Grilled tuna and veggies, pasta or rice
Chicken sandwiches with bacon

Those are the quickest, easiest meals I could think of that my family would eat.
#3 of 3 Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM

Well I think Allyson did a great job. Could you make a chili with the tomoatoes, bison, and beans? Butternut squash makes a cook soup, too, I think I've seen a recipe around here that included apples and bacon in it too. You could make a roast in the crobkpot with the chuck roast, carrots, and maybe add some potatoes. Well I have to run, but I'll try to think of some more.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page