looking for alternative flour recipies eg: amarath, spelt, etc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2008, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if you ladies can help me. I am currently try some of my recipies that call for white flour with 1/2 white 1/2 whole wheat (or even all whole wheat depending what it is), and at times have tried them with say half spelt, like my pancakes. Anyone know of a site or cookbook that talks specifically cooking with almost 100% of these flours? Any differences in baking soda, etc I would need to use? I notice with my pancakes for example that the more spelt I use, the flatter they get....they seem to need some white flour but I am trying to get away from using it.

thanks in advance!

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 04:21 PM

hi there-
if you are looking to use flours other than wheat flour- check out wheat/gluten free websites or cookbooks. we are gluten free and we do a lot of baking. if you are adapting a wheat/white flour recipe to use other flours- than yes, you most often have to do some other tweaking as the gluten in the wheat flour adds properties that make the product come out a certain way. also, we most often use blends of other flours- not just one type- as it usually produces a better result. my favorite mix right now is part sorghum flour, part tapioca starch, part potato starch, and part coconut flour.

mama to my home birthed brothers
jack 10.13.05 gabriel kai 6.9.09
Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM

If you are in the market for a new cookbook try The Splendid Grain by Rebecca Wood. I love, love, love it. All about alternative grains.

User Tag List