kid friendly waffle recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so we bought a great belgium waffle maker and I need a good, healthy, kid approved waffle recipe
I've tried two already and the girls dont approve, and I thought the super experienced moms here would help more then me randomly trying more concoctions off of recipes.com!!
thanks

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 PM

I don't have kids yet but DH is super picky and doesn't like the taste of "healthy" baked good or pancakes and waffles. I use the Alton Brown (good eats on food network) Waffle recipe it uses 1/2 whole wheat flour and half reg flour.

When using whole wheat in baked goods the trick is to use White Whole Wheat flour ( it is a variety that is slightly lighter in color and a bit milder tasting, but still whole grain) I can even use some of it in cookies without DH noticing.

DS 4/11

#3 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 PM

I think it is also called whole wheat pastry flour.

My kids eat any sort of waffle. I think they would eat anything with berries or maple syrup on it.
#4 of 10 Old 05-22-2008, 02:17 PM

If you use equal parts white, whole wheat and wheat germ it's super healthy and "white."
#5 of 10 Old 05-25-2008, 12:57 PM

Hi there, I have 3 beautiful children that love breakfast. I use 1/3 of the flour for wheat and a few tablespoons of wheatgerm. Here is the fun part with kids. I seperate the batter into 3 bowls and each kid pick what color they want their waffles or what flavor. I add a few drops of food coloring and if they want flavor, I add fruit. If they want strawberry, no need for food coloring, I just add smashed strawberries.
#6 of 10 Old 05-28-2008, 01:58 AM

dd1 loves waffles-we use bob's red mill 10 grain. it makes everyone smile at our house!
#7 of 10 Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 AM

I make my own baking mix and use it to make waffles - it's based on the LLL Whole Foods for the Whole Family recipe. It's heartier than white flour recipes, but tastes great with the buttermilk.

8 cups whole-wheat flour (or you can use some other proportion)
2 cups buttermilk powder (try the bulk food store or just use regular milk powder)
5 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredient together, then work in oil until crumbly. Store in fridge. (You can add dried fruit like blueberries too) Makes approx. 11 cups.

Large Batch Waffles or Pancakes

5 cups Baking Mix
3 cups water
3 eggs (use 4 for waffles)

Mix until no large lumps appear and cook on lightly greased griddle or waffle pan. Makes about 25 pancakes (3-4" each) - can be halved or doubled.

Enjoy!

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#8 of 10 Old 05-29-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

that looks awesome to store in the fridge and grab and make, thanks!

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

#9 of 10 Old 05-29-2008, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

double post

~Susan

#10 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche28 View Post
I make my own baking mix and use it to make waffles - it's based on the LLL Whole Foods for the Whole Family recipe. It's heartier than white flour recipes, but tastes great with the buttermilk.

8 cups whole-wheat flour (or you can use some other proportion)
2 cups buttermilk powder (try the bulk food store or just use regular milk powder)
5 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

Mix dry ingredient together, then work in oil until crumbly. Store in fridge. (You can add dried fruit like blueberries too) Makes approx. 11 cups.
How long does this stay good in the fridge? I've been looking for something like this, although the Kodiak waffles are pretty darn tasty....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page