Need Help!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-02-2008, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I am not sure where to post this So mod's feel free to move this.

I need help on a dairy free, gluten free menu for my 4 year old. And really all of us. We live on a budget and I try to go mostly organic and plan our meals a month at a time. But now almost half of my menu we cannot longer meet. My dc is being tested for celiac disease , my husband cannot eat red meat, and we all have a dairy problem. So I am now at a complete loss as how to feed my family. My son is a picky eater and I generally try to make stuff that he will at least try but now I find out that most of the stuff he was eating he cannot have. Please help me wise momma's with links or something so I cannot go in the right direction.
#2 of 4 Old 05-03-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so no ideas here. Oh well. I will keep looking
#3 of 4 Old 05-05-2008, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please check out the gluten free tribe in the Finding Your Tribe forum...they will have a lot of great ideas for you.

However, I will do what I can to help.

My daughter is allergic to:
milk, soy, eggs, pea and tree nuts, apples, pears, and chocolate

my son:
wheat and wheat gluten, milk, soy, eggs, pea and tree nuts, berries (every kind we have tried)

my husband:
quinoa, rice, milk, wheat and wheat gluten, lettuce, brassicas, shell fish, and won't eat red meat

I am allergic to:
chicken, fish, shell fish

Believe it or not? We tend to eat like normal people. I know. Hard to believe! But we do. We just make EVERYTHING from scratch, and when we make dinner, we make one sauce and a couple of types of meat. I almost always have two pans going with two variations of the same meal...

The thing is that you WILL become accustomed to cooking differently.

We use rice milk because we can not use oat, nut, or soy milk. Rice milk takes some practice to work with...when you're using it for a hot dinner, it is basically used EXACTLY like cow's milk. But when you use it to bake, I have found it makes a more moist crumb to add a bit extra oil.

As far as gluten free goes, we use a garfava based flour (so garbanzo beans, fava beans, sorghum, corn starch, and in our case potato starch, but some people use rice flour) for most things. This flour acts almost EXACTLY like regular wheat flour. I use it to dredge meat for breading, for pizza dough, loaves of bread, for cakes and cookies, in the recipes I have always used, and it looks and acts just like wheat flour.

Instead of oatmeal, we (not my husband) eat Bob's red mill GF Hot Cereal. It is really yummy, and filling.

There are some really GREAT cookbooks for gluten free living, and there are wonderful vegetarian cookbooks, too, that we are able to take from and just modify with the products we use to make our lives allergen free. Take a look at the Food Allergy Network. They will help a great deal, but the allergy board here will too.

I guess the deal is...it's kind of like switching to cloth diapers or using canvas bags instead of paper or plastic grocery bags. It becomes habit and a way of life to read lables, to cook from scratch.

We make our own cupcakes and bring them and rice cream with us to all parties where sweets are going to be served. We bring lunch with us whenever we run errands, and we bring snacks, too. My kids mostly eat fresh fruit and veggies as snacks. We eat sunflower seed butter as a quick protein (so bananas and apples and sfs butter). My son will eat rice crackers with turkey sausage...we eat leftovers for lunch. We eat rice noodles, quinoa noodles, and I eat wheat noodles. When we make spaghetti, my husband will eat turkey or chicken meat balls or ground meat and generally the rest of us will eat free range organic beef (I buy a 1/4 cow in the fall).

We just make it work. It will become habit and then you'll look back and wonder how you used to do it differently!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#4 of 4 Old 05-07-2008, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU!! I will be checking out the gluten free tribe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page