How often do you repeat recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I was growing up, my mother had a one-week rotation -- basically repeated the same things every week. DH's mother, on the other hand, had something like a two-month rotation (according to his memory!).

I'm just wondering how often others repeat meals. I'm trying to do a monthly menu plan now, but can't even come up with enough ideas for a month of meals without repeats.

Globetrotting mama to DS (9) and DD (6)
#2 of 12 Old 05-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I just started menu planning a month ago, and have yet to repeat the same meal. I subscribe to a few cooking mags though, so I make AT LEAST one new menu thing a week, sometimes it's just a side dish or something simple. I have a book that I am writing the stuff in in my Menu Planning notebook. What I have been doing is looking in the fridge/freezer making a list of what we have on hand and then planning meals from the list. I have a lot of food in my house , so it's pretty easy for me. I made it my own personal goal to make something new each week, that way I keep building my menu. I also read cookbooks like novels, so that probably is why I haver so many dishes.

I also have at least one pasta dish weekly, last week it was manicotti and fettucine. I am trying now to have more outdoor grilling meals as it's getting hot where I live. HTH.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#3 of 12 Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM

Well I have a list of meals we eat and like and a stack of new recipes to try. I go through those and put whatever sounds good on my meal plan, depending on what I have in the house already and whats on sale.

Sometimes we'll have the same thing 2-3 times a month and sometimes once every few months, just depends on how I feel and what everyone else's input is.
#4 of 12 Old 05-19-2008, 03:52 PM

We have some favorites that we eat every 1-2 weeks, sometimes more or less depending on the budget and what else is planned.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#5 of 12 Old 05-22-2008, 05:33 PM

We pretty much eat the same thing every week, but like to do something a little different now and then. It's easier for us that way.
#6 of 12 Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 PM

I try not to repeat stuff more than once a month with the exception of pizza which we usually have 2x a month... I try to make at least one or two new meals a week to just for something different, yk?
#7 of 12 Old 05-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Some things we repeat every couple of weeks and others every few months. We try new things often.

What do you have on your list so far? and what type of meals do you like? Maybe we can find some ideas for you.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#8 of 12 Old 05-24-2008, 04:19 PM

No more often than once every two weeks. I get tired of cooking the same ol' thing and I find if I repeat a meal too often my kids won't eat it.
#9 of 12 Old 05-24-2008, 07:59 PM

I **try** not to repeat meals during the month. However, we do follow a "theme" such as a night for chicken, pasta, veggie meal, pizza, fish or seafood, leftovers , and other meat night (ground beef-- pork chop or tenderloin, roast).

Dawn
#10 of 12 Old 05-25-2008, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
6-8 weeks

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#11 of 12 Old 05-26-2008, 02:18 PM

I make pizza once every two weeks, and soup and some kind of grilled sandwich about every 1 or 2 weeks. I do something with pasta (I have TONS of ways for this) a couple times a week because the kids will eat anything in pasta.

I have been making lamb curry often, like every sunday along with another dinner because not everyone likes it. I have still about a quart/half a lamb in my freezer since last fall so I'm trying to use it up
#12 of 12 Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM

I probably repeat every 2-3 months or so. The only exception is old el paso style tacos, which are dh's favorite. We have those once a month.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page