25 lbs. of Pinto beans - HELP! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH brought home a 25 lb. bag of Pinto beans the other day ("just in case"), but I have no idea what to make with them.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#2 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 11:55 AM

Refried beans! You can make a few big batches and freeze. We love this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-R...ns/Detail.aspx
#3 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM

Refried beans (and then use in tacos, burritos, taco salads, casseroles), serve them over cornbread with fresh onion on top, put them in chili, make soups (especially southwestern/Mexican flavored ones, even better if you mix wth black beans).
#4 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 12:29 PM

I just made refried beans for the first time the other day and froze them. I wasn't sure how well they'd freeze, but it sounds like they'll be fine.
#5 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 12:35 PM

Diner style beans... and freeze them to have with toast and eggs. Yummy! They freeze really well.

:
#6 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

DS and DD LOVE refried beans so I'll definitely try that!

What are "diner style" beans?

Gone but not fogotten.
#7 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 02:28 PM

I make huge batches of refried beans and then freeze portions so I can easily pull one out for dinner. I personally like pinto beans (with kidney beans) in chili too.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#8 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 03:47 PM

When I think of diner style beans I think of the heinz style pork and beans... gross I know, but so much better hommade ( withought the pork... or maybe just with some good bacon).

:
#9 of 12 Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 PM

bean dip, beans & rice, posole & beans, baked beans enchilada style, burritos, tacos, chicos & beans, beans & green/red chili... ooh soo many possibilites!! If you want any of these recipes lemme know an i'll post'm
#10 of 12 Old 06-11-2008, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadelbosque View Post
bean dip, beans & rice, posole & beans, baked beans enchilada style, burritos, tacos, chicos & beans, beans & green/red chili... ooh soo many possibilites!! If you want any of these recipes lemme know an i'll post'm
ALL recipes would be greatly appreciated! My family will thank you in advance!

I guess, basically, I can just substitute the meat in recipes for beans...?

Gone but not fogotten.
#11 of 12 Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=mamadelbosque;11436990chicos & beans[/QUOTE]

thank you for inspiring the pregnancy craving of the day, unfortunately i have no chicos. maybe i will go visit my grandma for some. (it is a kind of dried corn)

we use beans to make burritos alot. I like a lime rice and bean burrito. We put chili into our beans after they are cooked to make them spicy. (not american chili powder, the stuff in the ethnic isle)

and remember to salt them after they cook or you will have crunchy beans.
#12 of 12 Old 06-16-2008, 11:22 PM

hehehe, sorry about the craving! Chicos rock, don't they?! Not many people know about'm though... pity that. Gods bless internet ordering for that

Ahem. Sorry. Recipes:

Bean Dip:
Cook pinto beans (about 5 cups), with one yellow onion cut in half over night in a crockpot. In blender for every 4 cups of beans add 1-teaspoon oregano, 1-teaspoon garlic powder, 1- teaspoon chili powder, 1-teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth (on strongest setting), add more water if neccasary.

Pinto Beans with Chicos:
2 cups of pinto beans 6 slices of bacon
1/2 - 1 cup chicos 1 tsp sugar
½ medium onion 1TBSP catsup
Salt to taste

Sort (remove any stones) and rinse beans then put in crock-pot on low with about 6 cups of water above beans. Rinse chicos and boil in 1 cup of water for 45 minutes, add to beans. Add chopped onions, sugar, and remaining 3 slices of bacon (removing most of fat). Cook over night or all day until tender. Fry remaining 3 slices of bacon and add with catsup to cooked beans. Salt to taste.

Baked Pinto Beans, Enchilada Style
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 recipe Cooked Tomatillo Slasa
4 cups cooked or drained canned pinto beans
1 cup cubed cheese
1 cup crushed tortilla chips
½ cup crumbled queso fresco
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 400* Use a tablespoon or so of the olive oil to grease 9x13” baking dish. Spread the salsa in the dish and spoon the beans on top. Sprinkle lightly with salt & pepper. Spread the cheese cubes around evenly, pressing them into the sauce a & beans a bit. Sprinkle with the tortilla crumbs and top with queso fresco and drizzle on the remaining olive oil. Bake until the cheese has melted, the sauces is bubbly and the tortilla chips are browned 20-30 minutes.

Cooked Tomatillo Salsa:
10-12 Tomatillos husked and rinsed
3 TBSP oil ( olive, grapeseed or corn)
2 large onions, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup roasted green chili, diced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup vegetable stock (or water)
salt & pepper to taste
½ cup fresh cilantro
¼ cup lime juice

Preheat oven to 400* Put the tomatillos on a baking sheet and roast until the skins are lightly browned and blistered, about 20 minutes. Remove and once cool enough to handle, chop up, saving their juices.
While the tomatillos are roasting, put the oil in skillet over medium heat, when hot add the onions and garlic, and cook stirring occasionally until very soft and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatillos, chilies, oregano, and stock and a large pinch of salt and pepper; stir and bring to a low simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until it is slightly thickened 10-15 minutes
Stir in the cilantro and lime juice and taste and adjust seasoning. Serve at room temperature or cove and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Theres also a red salsa recipe that I think I actually prefer to this one, I'll try'n get it typed out and post it some time

Red/Green Chili:
1# pork steak
5 TBSP (heaping) Chili Caribe
½ cup flour
4 TBSP (heaping) Chili powder
Salt to taste approximately 2 tsp.
1 large clove of garlic (minced)
Approximately 4-½ cups water

Soak chili caribe in 1-cup warm water for 15 minutes, then puree in blender. Cut pork into small pieces; cook slowly until done and there is no moisture in pan. In separate pan brown flour until lightly toasted (skip if using whole wheat). Remove pan from burner and add chili powder to flour mixing well. Add about 1-½ cups of cold water making a thin paste to chili and flour mixture. Next add chili caribe, garlic, meat and about 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil simmering for 30 minutes or longer until white foam is gone from surface of chili. Should be the consistency of gravy; add more water if needed or cook longer if too watery.

***For green chili, omit chili caribe and chili powder, and increase flour to 3/4-1 cup. Use about 1 cup of chili per pound of pork.***

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page