Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reviews, anyone?

thanks!
esme
#2 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
what a great idea and a steal at $7 a month. i could definitely use something like this. i often just end up at the grocery store wandering up and down the aisles and ultimately make impulse buys. when it comes to dinner time, i have a few go to meals, but they're starting to get a little boring. i'm not very good at improvising in the kitchen (that's dh's specialty). i'm more the recipe following type, but i can't really be bothered seeking out the recipes. we often end up eating take out which is usually neither affordable nor healty.

seems like relish does it all for you. so, you pick five meals out of a choice of 15 every week, right? how many meals total are there? or will i just keep having the same 15 choices every week? also, what are the monthly freezer menus?

the site also looks nice and is easy to navigate.

the most valuable thing i learned at www.relishrelish.com was that OXO makes a mango cutter -- it's about time.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#3 of 10 Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 PM

Ohhh I want to hear about this too

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#4 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM

I have been using RelishRelish for months and overall am very pleased.

I posted before about the annoying fights DH and I would have about meals (really was our #1 fighting point) and using RelishRelish solved that stress point.

DH doesn't like anything from a box (neither do I) and is pretty much willing to eat whatever I make without complaints.

My problem was I would either get stuck in a rut or not plan at all and spend too much time each day wandering thru the store.

My observations about RelishRelish:

Most meals are two dishes like a meat/pasta and a salad/veggie. I really like this because I cut out the starchy side dishes that I was in the habit of including with each meal.

Intially, it was a bit spendy as I was stocking the cupboard with things I didn't normally use like toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, etc. but these things seem to last a long time so it doesn't bother me anymore.

Weekly menus are usually designed so you use all (or most) of the fresh ingredients. Example - My menu this week uses green onions in at least two meals so I will definately use the whole bunch

Most recipes are from scratch (like BBQ sauce and marinades) yet easy. I like that. The ones I really like I keep in a binder for later reference.

I have found that we are wasting far less food since I really am buying only what I need, which is a good thing.

I am comfortable substituting other ingredients or side dishes when I don't like what is on the set menu. A less confident cook may not be, causing them stress.

It works for us because I pick what I like and want to cook. (In our house, anyone who doesn't actively contribute to the planning, shopping and cooking process isn't allowed to complain about what is served.) DH LOVES the menu 99% of the time so we haven't had any problems.

I don't have any bad things to say about the service aside from the fact you are definately going to need to shop regularly as the menus are heavy on fresh produce and some things herbs like cilantro, parsley, basil, etc. It would be hard to make most items out of ones freezer and pantry.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#5 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM

subbing
nak

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#6 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post
the most valuable thing i learned at www.relishrelish.com was that OXO makes a mango cutter -- it's about time.
I have had this cutter for a few years (before the back to back hurricanes of 04 I had a mango tree in my backyard)... my opinion is - it works MOST of the time but not all of the time. you need a firm yet ripe mango with a pit in just the right spot - only certain varieties fit the bill.... (probably the most popular varieties - tommy atkins, keitt, kent, & haden - all work which is what you are likely to find in the grocery store)... but just something to keep in mind.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#7 of 10 Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 PM

I sent an email to customer service asking if they had any sample recipes and they sent a voucher number for a sample/guest membership... I have not had a chance to try a single recipe, but they look great and the process was really easy.

I think it might be something we try for 3 months or 6 months. Hopefully with the recipes and grocery menus we get, I can add a few new dishes to my small little recipe rotation here.

I sent the link to my dh and he hasn't mentioned anything yet. I'll have to ask him if he looked.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#8 of 10 Old 06-29-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
I have had this cutter for a few years (before the back to back hurricanes of 04 I had a mango tree in my backyard)... my opinion is - it works MOST of the time but not all of the time. you need a firm yet ripe mango with a pit in just the right spot - only certain varieties fit the bill.... (probably the most popular varieties - tommy atkins, keitt, kent, & haden - all work which is what you are likely to find in the grocery store)... but just something to keep in mind.
thanks for the tip. thought this was a new item. i've never seen it before.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#9 of 10 Old 07-07-2008, 03:58 AM

Ok. I'm bumping this cause I took what Jessica did and sent an email and got a voucher for a week's trial.

I was really super doubtful I would like it, but I DO! Most certainly!
They recipes look really good and easy. They use the same normal ingredients I am used to working with and use them in new ways.

I get stuck in ruts and we eat very repetitive menus sometimes when I do get stuck like that.

I just showed it to dh and he thinks it'd be worth $7/mo, he's also very impressed with it.

I also have no issues with subbing out sides if I don't like them or whatever. I am a fairly confident cook and don't have an issue with that at all.

I also LOVE the freezer menu section, too.

The only thing for me is that I NEED to get more printer ink! I had to hand write everything out this time till payday. I'll be getting more ink, then!
#10 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 AM

I love this idea. Are ther any more sites like this?

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page